Goodbye KARR 1460

This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Boombox Boombox 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Word is out that Family Radio is shutting down 1460 KARR at the end of the month. Waste of frequency anyways.
    If I had my way, it would come back as “KARR-146, All Traffic, All The Time!” just like AM 730 in Vancouver. The call signs are PERFECT!! And, during the times where KOMO is blabbing with money news and sports news, listeners can get traffic reports right away. If I had my way, it would be increased to 50KW days and 25KW nights, super directional for 520, I-90 floating bridges, I-5 through Seattle and I-405 in the Renton S-Curve area.

-crainbebo

Is KARR operating from a shared tower site?

Profile photo of Bob cavanaugh
    Bob cavanaugh
    Participant

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that’s where they’re trying to put the new 740 and where KKDZ has nighttime operations.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Which, if it comes on, would mean possibly interference at sunrise/sunset to 750 the Game in Portland, and AM 730 in Vancouver. Remember we have the KQRR/CKWX conflict at sunset? I hear the Russian out of Portland (KQRR) better on 1130 than I do CKWX, in Yakima. It sort of was the same in Western Washington. CKWX was sometimes crunched by Portland.

-crainbebo

Profile photo of Terry
    Terry
    Participant

I heard the whole site was going away. It was going to turn into housing. No timeline, but in the not too distant future.

Profile photo of Kelly
    Kelly
    Participant

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit. That site is smack in the middle of a dense residential neighborhood in Kirkland. Dealing with RFI to neighbors wasn’t fun and would be ridiculous if one was crazy enough to build a 50kW station on that site. That and the property would be worth far more in residential value than any AM station.

Profile photo of multiplex
    multiplex
    Participant

KARR is periodically running announcements that the station is going off at the end of the month due to many factors, including the non-renewal of the transmitter site lease.
    They say other alternatives have been explored with no success.
    In some hours the announcement is being aired at around 59 past, but I don’t know if it runs at any other time.

Profile photo of Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I wonder if they’ll turn the license in to the FCC right away or just hold on to the license for a potential sale.

Profile photo of Dr. Akbar
    Dr. Akbar
    Participant

There’s a nearby Costco at NE 85th & I-405…put the sticks on their roof like they did for 10~Twenty and 11~Fifty in el Lay https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=34.033333,+-117.983333+(KEIB-AM)&om=1

Now that’s thinking outside on top of the box!

Looking for a place to get buzzed this New Year's Eve? Look no further than the Buckeye Media Hut, where it'll be party-hardy right into 2015! Revelers will be getting down to Jeff & the Feztones, and everyone will be over served the finest two buck Chuck bubbly. Stag or drag, be sure to join the Men from In and call your reservation in now: 1-800-AKBAR&JEFF.
    Profile photo of mariomania
    mariomania
    Participant

Will RD move?

Profile photo of Scott Fybush
    Scott Fybush
    Keymaster

There’s a nearby Costco at NE 85th & I-405…put the sticks on their roof like they did for 10~Twenty and 11~Fifty in el Lay https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=34.033333,+-117.983333+(KEIB-AM)&om=1
    Now that’s thinking outside on top of the box!

Clever, Doctor, clever – but surely you of all people know that the 10~Twenty/11~Fifty site isn’t actually built on the rooftops. They built the warehouses around the existing towers, which sit in deep wells inside each building! That might be tricky to retrofit into Costco :)

Profile photo of davideduardo
    davideduardo
    Participant

Clever, Doctor, clever – but surely you of all people know that the 10~Twenty/11~Fifty site isn’t actually built on the rooftops. They built the warehouses around the existing towers, which sit in deep wells inside each building! That might be tricky to retrofit into Costco :)

And an interesting fact is that it requires an outside antenna to listen to KTNQ in the station’s garage (now the KEIB transmitter room) in one of the warehouses, so effective was the shielding in all the walls.

Other than the 1510 in the Bay Area, how many true rooftop DA’s are there?

Profile photo of Kelly
    Kelly
    Participant

“Don’t say THANK YOU, say TEN-Q”.

Profile photo of davideduardo
    davideduardo
    Participant

“Don’t say THANK YOU, say TEN-Q”.

And as late as 20 years after KTNQ went to a Spanish language format, Arbitron diaries had mentions of “Thank You” as the station being listened to.

Profile photo of Bongwater
    Bongwater
    Participant

This is interesting. Someone once told me when KGAA was sold and became KARR in 1984 (the station originally ran a Music of Your Life format prior to being sold to Family Radio in 1986), they once owned that all that property. And somewhere during the Family Radio run, they sold that property and leased it from the buyer. So the minute that Faustian deal went through, KARR’s eventual fate would be sealed.

I think FR should just cut their losses, sell off what they have and close down. No one is listening anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00sy6_jv7Lc
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.