KJWP, Channel 2, Wilmington, DE

RadioInsight Community Forums Television Insight Mid-Atlantic KJWP, Channel 2, Wilmington, DE

This topic contains 44 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of MattParker MattParker 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Mike D
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone caught the “new” KJWP-TV, Channel 2 licensed to Wilmington, DE, but transmitting from Roxborough? Right before the old board went away, someone noted that they were on the air testing and I found a youtube video where one of the owners fired up the transmitter for the first time from Roxborough. It seems like they are a ME TV affiliate? I am wondering if they are carrying the full ME TV schedule. Doesn’t a subchannel of WFMZ in Allentown also carry ME? Is this subchannel widely carried on cable in the Philadelphia/Delaware Valley area?

Lo-band VHF in a digital TV world is almost useless, so I’m sure that Press Broadcasting, d/b/a PMCM is hoping to have the new station carried on cable. It seems like WACP/4 in Atlantic City got carriage shortly after signing on, so I’m sure Press is hoping for the same thing. BTW: this is Press’ second attempt at owning a station in the Philly market. They owned Channel 65 for a time in the early/mid 80s and they were also vying for the Channel 48 license before it went to Mrs. Brunson.

Anyhow, wondering if anyone has “seen” the new Channel 2 and also how the signal is getting out. Thanks..

-Mike

billw
    Participant

I haven’t seen the new channel 2 yet but I did notice that the Me subchannel on WFMZ has the bug saying Me Allentown where it used to say Me Philadelphia. The WFMZ Me subchannel is carried on both sides of the river by both Xfinity and FiOS. When will Comcast and Verizon be required to pick up KJWP? Both companies carry WACP in both SD and HD. They got a nice spot on FiOS, 4 & 504 right between channels 3 & 6. Channel 2 won’t be as lucky if they reques channel 2 & 502 on FiOS and probably 2 & 802 on Xfinity.

johndavis
    Participant

Fascinating story behind the move. It pays to read the FCC rules very carefully!

They’ve filed their license to cover.

Peter Q. George
    Participant

Will they be able to keep they “KJWP” call-letters, in spite of them being located east of the Mississippi. Or will this be another anomaly like KQV, KYW and KDKA? Curious. Could this be the genie out of the bottle where “K” call-letters would be allowed anywhere?

johndavis
    Participant

Since they changed the calls to KJWP before shutting down in Wyoming, I would guess they can keep them until they would ever file to change them.

Mike D
    Participant

John- yes- a legal loophole allowed Press to move KJWP to Wilmington and KVNV, Ely, NV to Middletown Township, NJ. The law basically says that any state not allocated a commerical VHF will automatically be granted one if the engineering permits. In the analog days, there wasn’t any room to allocate a VHF to Delaware. New Jersey was nominally covered by WWOR which was licensed to Secaucus, NJ, but in all essence, was and is a NYC station. After the DTV transition, WWOR moved to UHF leaving the VHF field wide open. Press purchased KJWY in Jackson, WY and KVNV in Ely, Nevada at dirt cheat prices and petitioned to move them east filling the VHF voids in “Delaware” and “New Jersey”. The FCC saw right through this and denied Press’ applications and allocated VHF channel 4 to Atlantic City and Channel 5? to Seaford, DE. (I do not think the Seaford station is on the air yet, although I think calls have been issued).

Press appealed the decision through the Federal Courts and won, hence Channel 2 in “Wilmington” and Channel 3 in “Middletown Township.” Both will be transmitting from the heart of the markets they are allocated to rather than their cities of license. Being that Wilmington lies in the Philly market and Middletown is a distant suburb of NYC, Press was able to score two brand new stations in Philadelphia and New York City. It was indeed a brilliant move…

-Mike

Doug Smith
    Participant

Yes, it’s channel 5 in Seaford, with the calls WMDE, and it’s (to my knowledge) indeed not yet on the air.

By my reading of the law, Press had a good point & the FCC really shouldn’t have denied their applications in the first place. (on the other hand, Congress should have closed that loophole as soon as WOR-TV drove through it 40 years ago)

My gut feeling is they’ll be allowed to keep the KJWP and KVNV call letters as long as they want, but if they change the calls they’ll probably have to take a W prefix. I don’t think the FCC really gives a darn about the K/W thing but the industry has indicated they want to keep it..

Doug Smith W9WI Pleasant View (Nashville), TN
    Scott Fybush
    Keymaster

It’s actually been only 30 years since the WOR-TV loophole, but…yes, it should certainly have been sealed up at least at the time of the DTV conversion.

Judging by the moves EMF has made recently, the FCC is quietly willing to let “K” calls migrate east on existing licenses. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if KJWP or KVNV even get permission to change to new “K” calls down the road. There’s some precedent, most notably in Oklahoma where WNAD 640 in Norman became WWLS in 1981 (and then sent the WWLS calls to a sister FM last year, becoming KWPN.)

Mike S.
    Participant

There is a digital signal on 53.306, 54.306 and 55.306 MHz. It appears to be a pilot, not
    6 MHz wide on a STL-SDR#. There is a signal strength of (1) with cliff-edge effect (meter strength bursting from 0 to 10, reverse) on my Samsung digital HDTV tuner connected to a Antennacraft model Y526 aimed south towards Philadelphia, Pa from Easton, Pa (Lehigh Valley).

Their application and constructions permit indicates 9 kW ERP, thus reaching as far north
    to Stroudsburg, Pa. From my observations, the station is not at maximum output just yet.

There is a 800′ mountain behind me directly towards the path of the transmitter which is
    not to my advantage either.

Doug Smith
    Participant

Hmmm.

There should be a pilot on 54.310. It’s an unmodulated carrier & relatively weak.

On a spectrum plot, you should see a wideband digital signal (it’ll look like noise) nearly completely filling the 6MHz channel, with a narrow spike (the pilot) on 54.310.

I wonder if the 53.306, 54.306, and 55.306 signals are something else? It’s not unusual to see spurious signals in that part of the spectrum, and the mask filters on DTV transmitters are such that I’m not thinking you should be seeing something below 54MHz, especially at that distance.

Doug Smith W9WI Pleasant View (Nashville), TN
    Mike S.
    Participant

Is KJWP 2.1 Wilmington, Delaware officially on-the-air with full-power
    45kW or low power 3Kw digital?

While viewing the Youtube video posted by ednixon the official sign-on
    was the night of 18th of November 2013. Was it for off-the-air phase testing?

F.C.C records still do not reflect a license approval status.

As of today, I am unable to receive their broadcast at 43 miles distance directly south. There are five large hills within 13 miles of my residence,
    as far as Nockamixon State Park that might be blocking the signal. I doubt that is the case because of the wave characteristics of a low VHF signal will lightly curve over hills.

There was a comment on an article that their channel guide is not matching
    what is being aired, dated November 19th.

http://www.commlawblog.com/2013/11/articles/broadcast/movin-on-up-to-the-east-side-reprise/index.html

Like the original poster, Mike M asked – Has anyone “seen” the new Channel
    2?

MickeyD
    Participant

It was a brilliant move by Press. Two major market TV stations for a couple of million bucks. They get on cable and satellite and they are golden.

MattParker
    Blocked

I just checked. Nothing on channel 2. No signal at all. Zero. I tried 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4. Checked signal strength. Nothing. Even tried analog. Nothing.

Mike S.
    Participant

Just found the reason why they are silent.

According to the F.C.C application for digital television broadcast (FCC 302-DTV) dated 11/27/2013 they are changing from a Jampro JADP-6/3(18) to
    a Jampro JCPD-6/4(24)R circular polarized VHF panel antenna.

No changes in antenna height.

atthestars
    Participant

I am picking up their signal right now in Bala Cynwyd. Showing some old movie with the MeTV slug and KJWP 2.1 calls in the bottom right corner.

I’m not that far from the tower anyway, so I’m not sure what power they’re putting out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.