the new "KRTH" continued

RadioInsight Community Forums West Coast Los Angeles the new "KRTH" continued

This topic contains 400 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lance Venta Lance Venta 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 401 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 32james
    32james
    Participant

welcome aboard fellow radio discussion board members, here we can continue where we left off about the “new KRTH”, let the debate rage on! are there too many 80’s on KRTH now? did KRTH drop too many 60″s music, just to add 80’s? how will this affect KRTH ratings?
    let the debate continue.

Profile photo of K.M. Richards
    K.M. Richards
    Participant

Only if the debate doesn’t devolve into the same idiocy that it had at the old board.

I am not in the mood to read the same suggestions about “lost hits” and bigger playlists from armchair quarterbacks, followed by corrections from actual radio professionals who are then told they are wrong …

In other words, if “oldies76″ or “LARadioRewind” show up, I’m going to be asking Lance to appoint a moderator pretty damn quickly.

Profile photo of johndavis
    johndavis
    Participant

Not so sure what there is to debate. The station was dying. Stations that drop 60’s for 80’s have done better. Stations that haven’t done this have dropped the format completely.

When I was 18 years old and all the stations were playing music for old people, I used to joke that I can’t wait until I’m old so I can finally hear my music on the radio. Now I’m old and they’re playing the songs from when I was 18.

And the beat goes on.

Profile photo of davideduardo
    davideduardo
    Participant

Only if the debate doesn’t devolve into the same idiocy that it had at the old board.

I’m all for the “old style” moderation of the site where the moderators form an active part in discussions and guide the participants away from circular arguments and keep us out of the realm of the impossible.

Profile photo of borderblaster
    borderblaster
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>K.M. Richards wrote:</div>Only if the debate doesn’t devolve into the same idiocy that it had at the old board.

I’m all for the “old style” moderation of the site where the moderators form an active part in discussions and guide the participants away from circular arguments and keep us out of the realm of the impossible.

That would be good.

Profile photo of oldies76
    oldies76
    Participant

I am not in the mood to read the same suggestions about “lost hits” and bigger playlists from armchair quarterbacks, followed by corrections from actual radio professionals who are then told they are wrong …
    In other words, if “oldies76″ or “LARadioRewind” show up, I’m going to be asking Lance to appoint a moderator pretty damn quickly.

So blunt!! But thanks anyways…..

Celebrating 59 years of Rock and Roll.
    Profile photo of radiorewind
    radiorewind
    Participant

“Idiocy”? “Armchair quarterbacks”? Demand a “moderator pretty damn quickly”? “Oldies76″ and “radiorewind” are both here now but I think we’ve learned that you “actual radio professionals” don’t care about us or our opinions. We’ll listen to oldies on the Internet and you “professionals” can debate KRTH to your heart’s content.

Profile photo of Brian Davis
    Davis
    Participant

“Oldies76″ and “radiorewind” are both here now but I think we’ve learned that you “actual radio professionals” don’t care about us or our opinions. We’ll listen to oldies on the Internet and you “professionals” can debate KRTH to your heart’s content.

Nah…keep on posting. I’m one of those pros who think you’re absolutely wrong, but the conversations are fun. Just click the “ignore user” link under that particular gentleman and carry on.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

So glad to see that the new KRTH is still generating interest. As a former, loyal listener, this is the first time in over 20 years this is no longer my station of choice. I merely tune in out of curiosity these days to see how the train wreck that was such a fine radio station is progressing. I find David and michaels statistics about song repitition not to be the gospel they preach. In very limited listening i am hearing the same songs repeatedly. And now “carry on wayward son” is the new “brown eyed girl”. Although the latter is still being played into the ground as well.  Not only would I consider the limited playlist an issue, it’s the songs Rick thomas has chosen to put in heavy rotation that made me change the dial. I am not in the industry or pretend to have the depth of knowledge Michael or David possess – they are fine gentlemen and a pleasure to debate with. I’m just a listener who now finds this station unlistenable. It will be interesting to see how the new KRTH fares ratings wise when the novelty of the new records wears off. I long for the days of the jay Coffey era after seeing what Rick has done in such a short time. Not just the tightening of the playlist, the elimination of the jingles for the most part, but he’s even managed to make the weekend programming even more ridiculous than it was in the past. He obviously hasn’t put a great deal of thought into these themes. A “yes vember in november” would be a vast improvement. I’m just curious where the direction came from to change what was working for the most part so radically. Is this CBS running the controls or is this ricks personal vision of where he thinks the station should be? And where KRTH was more adult contemporary and pop oriented under jhani and seemed to be competing with KOST, Rick has taken the station to classic hits and is going after “jack” or “amp”? Is that a fair statement to make? It’s no wonder I  no longer hear the “station the entire family can listen to” or “just right in the office” promos. I guess because it’s not. 

Profile photo of radiorewind
    radiorewind
    Participant

In November I updated my KRTH list to reflect the changes that Rick Thomas has made. It is a “work in progress” and not necessarily complete. It is on page 8 of the KRTH thread at http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=120994&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

None of the aforementioned “actual radio professionals” have posted there yet. Most of the posters are fans of 1950s-60s-70s music who would love to have a larger playlist and hear more low-charting songs. Most of us do not like KRTH’s new KLOS/KHHT/KCBS-FM music hybrid that features the same overplayed burned-out hits we can hear on, well, KLOS and KHHT and KCBS-FM. Most of us are sick of “Brown Eyed Girl” and dozens of other songs that KRTH plays. We all gripe amongst ourselves with no “professionals” to set us straight about AQHs and cumes and ratings points and target demos and auditorium tests.

I agree with Bob (above) that David and Michael are very knowlegeable about radio and are good “debate partners.” In one or two years from now, KRTH’s ratings might be higher than they are now…but how many of KRTH’s listeners in early 2013 will still be listening in 2015? The station may have a completely new group of listeners after today’s listeners have migrated to Internet stations and satellite radio..

Profile photo of oldies76
    oldies76
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Bob wrote:</div> ”

I long for the days of the jay Coffey era after seeing what Rick has done in such a short time. Not just the tightening of the playlist, the elimination of the jingles for the most part, but he’s even managed to make the weekend programming even more ridiculous than it was in the past. He obviously hasn’t put a great deal of thought into these themes.”

Funny you mention the Jay Coffey era…that was one of the worst times for KRTH, in terms of repetition and tightening of the playlist, just with different songs then. Heavy on the Beatles and very heavy on Motown and rarely if anything played post 1973. The time to listen to KRTH would have been during the Bob Hamilton era (early to mid 80’s), where the playlists were endless, true request shows, true weekend specials and huge holiday weekend monstrocities, like the Labor Day Number One Music Weekend and the A to Z specials. KRTH today or even during the Jhani Kaye era is nothing like it was 27 years ago!!

Eliminating the jingles is not a smart move, in my opinion.

Celebrating 59 years of Rock and Roll.
    davideduardo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>radiorewind wrote:</div>how many of KRTH’s listeners in early 2013 will still be listening in 2015? The station may have a completely new group of listeners after today’s listeners have migrated to Internet stations and satellite radio..

“Radio” to listeners is any audio source that does not have pictures. Please try to stay up with the way the audience is moving.

And stations are focusing efforts on being available on all available platforms, not on FM.

And Nielsen is developing cross-platform multimedia measurement where streams, TV, web browsing, OTA radio and other electronic distribution systems will be measured in one system.

davideduardo
    Participant

Oldies76 said, “Eliminating the jingles is not a smart move, in my opinion.”

There is a real question whether anyone in the less-than-geezer demos really cares about jingles. With KRTH’s target of 35-54 or 35-49, they are going for an audience group that does not attach the same value to that sort of thing that the over-55 and over 65 groups do.

Many of us have lessened the use of jingles or eliminated them entirely, depending on the format.

I’m very nostalgic about jingles myself, having several original JAM jingles on my website. But jingles are not appropriate for every station and format.

Profile photo of jaywalker
    Jay Walker
    Participant

When I worked for Infinity one of Mel’s more short sighted moments was not wanting to stream because he felt there was no way to monetize it (so I was told) and wanting to force listeners to hear Howard on the radio only outlets. After Mel left Infinity rapidly picked up that dropped ball and made streaming audio a high priority. Streaming audio has always been a high priority for CBS. We even had in Dallas, several stream only program sources. One of the better stream only sources (Indie-Verse) eventually was given an HD-3 channel based on streaming performance.

Jay Walker

After 40+ years "Playing The Hits Border to Border and Coast to Coast", I am blissfully retired enjoying the moldy confines of the Broadcast Bunker here in the Lone Star State of Confusion. I have left the daily Rat-Race to the younger and faster Rats... However I am always ready to tweak your audio processing through my company Competitive Broadcast Audio Services Dallas....PM me for info
    Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Funny you mention the Jay Coffey era…that was one of the worst times for KRTH, in terms of repetition and tightening of the playlist, just with different songs then. Heavy on the Beatles and very heavy on Motown and rarely if anything played post 1973. The time to listen to KRTH would have been during the Bob Hamilton era (early to mid 80′s), where the playlists were endless, true request shows, true weekend specials and huge holiday weekend monstrocities, like the Labor Day Number One Music Weekend and the A to Z specials. KRTH today or even during the Jhani Kaye era is nothing like it was 27 years ago!!

Jays vision of what KRTH was is definitely more in line with mine. I completely agree with you about Bob Hamilton. Not only was he a great programmer at KRTH, his body of work included a tremendous run at KSFO/KYA in San Francisco. He was able to turn those stations around with an expanded playlist, many “lost oldies’ and a high energy presentation. His stations were fun to listen to. KRTH has lost the “fun” element. I want to say Bob was responsible for taking KFRC to the fm dial and installed the oldies format there as well in the early 90s. it would be great to see Bob make a comeback and prove that this format can still work if done correctly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 401 total)

The topic ‘the new "KRTH" continued’ is closed to new replies.