Tony Rizzo

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland Tony Rizzo

RadioInsight Community will be offline for a few hours on Saturday, November 29 as we make some software updates.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vjm1
    vjm1
    Participant

I’m gonna go into this assuming we all know what happened this weekend with WKNR/WJW personality Tony Rizzo.

Also…innocent until proven guilty and all that.

But let’s play worst case scenario here…

If Rizzo gets a long suspension/fired, I think KNR is up (you know what) creek without a paddle (his show on Fox 8 is just a small spoke on the wheel, so WJW really won’t be affected too much).

He’s the franchise on 850, and without him, Aaron Goldhammer is screwed, as nobody is gonna listen to him by himself for 4 hours every day.

Profile photo of davideduardo
    davideduardo
    Participant

I’m gonna go into this assuming we all know what happened this weekend with WKNR/WJW personality Tony Rizzo.

Just a curiosity… how old is Tony Rizzo?

In the early 60’s I worked with a “Tony Rizzo” at WCUY 92.3.

Profile photo of vjm1
    vjm1
    Participant

WKNR’s Tony Rizzo is 52, so unless he was doing a show from his nursery, we’re talking about different guys here.

Profile photo of davideduardo
    davideduardo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>vjm1 wrote:</div>WKNR’s Tony Rizzo is 52, so unless he was doing a show from his nursery, we’re talking about different guys here.

I thought as much. It’s not like Rizzo is an uncommon name in Cleveland; I think I knew at least 3 Rizzo’s in school, too.

Profile photo of MediaFan85
    MediaFan85
    Participant

Suprisingly, Rizzo was on the air today. He couldn’t talk about the arrest, but I think WNKR will fight to keep him on no matter what. It’s all over Ohio Media Watch’s Twitter page too. ‘KNR management called him an “exemplary” person, and that his status is unaffected. This reminds me of Rover with his ongoing legal situation.

Profile photo of MediaFan85
    MediaFan85
    Participant

I was also thinking how would The Fan handle situations where listeners want to call in asking their hosts for input on the Rizzo situation. They are co-flagship with WKNR for Browns programming, so I’m not sure if CBS wants to gets on GKB’s bad side.

Profile photo of vjm1
    vjm1
    Participant

CBS could care less about what GKB thinks.

They are joined together by a Browns influenced shotgun marriage, but otherwise they are competitors looking to best the other. Inside the Halle Building, they’d love it if Rizzo disappeared for awhile, because Hammer on his own would be toast.

Profile photo of Nathan Obral
    Nathan Obral
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>davideduardo wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>vjm1 wrote:</div>WKNR’s Tony Rizzo is 52, so unless he was doing a show from his nursery, we’re talking about different guys here.

I thought as much. It’s not like Rizzo is an uncommon name in Cleveland; I think I knew at least 3 Rizzo’s in school, too.

Tony Rizzo’s father was longtime WUAB announcer/continuity voice Jack Reynolds, actual name Joseph James Rizzo (Jack was an occasional guest on Rizzo’s WKNR show before he passed away a few years ago).

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!
    Profile photo of Nathan Obral
    Nathan Obral
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>vjm1 wrote:</div>CBS could care less about what GKB thinks.

They are joined together by a Browns influenced shotgun marriage, but otherwise they are competitors looking to best the other. Inside the Halle Building, they’d love it if Rizzo disappeared for awhile, because Hammer on his own would be toast.

<ul id=”bbp-reply-revision-log-86459″ class=”bbp-reply-revision-log”>
    <li id=”bbp-reply-revision-log-86459-item-86461″ class=”bbp-reply-revision-log-item”>
    This reply was modified 46 minutes ago by Avatar of vjm1 vjm1.

It does make for odd pairings with Browns-produced programming (see the pregame with both The Fan and WKNR hosts). In theory, this is no different than shared service agreements where two or three TV stations consolidate pools of photographers, helicopters or other news gathering resources. (That hasn’t happened much in Cleveland outside of a photog agreement with WKYC and WOIO/WUAB; had Fox not sold WJW, they would have entered a news pool with WEWS as Fox and Scripps set up news pools in Tampa, Detroit and Phoenix.) WKNR and The Fan are still competitors, but the lines unintentionally get blurred a bit.

That being said, the Browns do employ all the hosts, which includes Rizzo on the second half of the network pregame show. Ultimately it’s their call if they want him there or not.

If WKNR sees the worst case scenario out of this, being forced to part ways with Rizzo, CBS could buy out WKNR for the purposes of taking away their competitor, attaining total ownership of the Browns contract, and clearing CBS Sports Radio 24/7. But the probability of that happening is likely nil. Unless this is truly serious and warrants a lengthy jail sentence.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!
    Profile photo of vjm1
    vjm1
    Participant

Worst case scenario:

6 months in the grey bar motel and a $1,000 fine for a 1st degree misdemeanor.

Even if Riz were to just get half of that, WKNR would be in a world of hurt.

Phelps/Cherry/Carmen/Fox would keep the pregame ship rolling along on the Browns radio network if Rizzo were to be absent, so no big worries there.

And his TV show is small potatoes on Fox 8, so hey…maybe we’ll get an extra helping of BC & LJ if “The Rizzo Show” is yanked.

This is what happens when a radio station throws all it’s eggs in 1 basket…if the basket breaks, all that’s left is a bunch of broken eggs and a huge mess.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I love(d) the Really Big Show and listened to it for several years, and I know that WKNR’s ratings have to be horrible when Rizzo is not hosting. I have to be one of many who can not stomach Jewhammer when he is alone.

Rizzo IS that entire station – wonder if they regret getting rid of Kenny Roda, Michael Reghi or the other cavalcade of hosts they shitcanned in the last year.

I think it is risky on their part to totally stand by him – if it comes out that he really did strike or choke Miss Catherine (pictures of bruises, scrapes, cuts) then that will be a huge egg on their face for calling him an “exemplary person” and “valued member of the community.” Men who beat up women are not valued members of MY community. If nothing else, Rizzo is guilty of choosing women poorly!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.