Update 6/11: WXKE completed its shift from 103.9 to 96.3 at midnight as “Rock 104” relaunched as “96.3 XKE“. The two stations will simulcast until later this month when a new format will debut on what will become 103.9 WWFW.
Update 6/2: Adams has closed on the Fort Wayne stations and the changes have begun.
- 106.3 WHPP Columbia City dropped its 90s Hits “Rewind” for Catholic “Redeemer Radio” as its ownership passes to Fort Wayne Catholic Radio. WHPP will simulcast 1450 WLYV Fort Wayne until July 1, at which time 1450 will debut a new format under Adams.
- Calvary Radio Network took over 102.9 WGL-FM Huntington and dropped Oldies and for its Christian network as WJCI.
- Former simulcast partner 1250 WGL Fort Wayne will shift to Sports “Fox Sports 1250” on Tuesday, June 3.
- Classic Rock “Rock 104” 103.9 WXKE will move to 96.3 replacing Rhythmic CHR “Wild 96.3” WNHT.
- 103.9 will redirect listeners to 96.3 for around ten days before debuting a new format.
The combined clusters will operate out of the former Oasis building until September, while the former Summit City building is renovated and will become the permanent facility for the Adams stations.
Update 6/1: Another set of domains have been registered by Adams for their Fort Wayne stations.
Among the other domains we reported on earlier, Adams also registered YourCountry933.com (to match the branding used by their Las Cruces Country outlet) for 93.3 WBTU, 1250FoxSports.com for 1250 WGL, and 1450ThePatriot.com for WLYV.
Following our report on Friday, a series of additional potential brands were registered mainly for the same formats we previously mentioned just different frequencies: Alice1079.com, B969FM.com, BestVariety1039.com, Duke1039.com, Fish963.com, Gold1033.com, HankFM963.com, Magic969FM.com, Mix963.com, and US933FM.com. A few of these we can likely rule out as Fish is a licensed trademark of Salem Communications and Mix is used by Clear Channel’s 98.1 WDFM Defiance, OH which puts a signal over much of the Fort Wayne market.
Original Report 5/30: As Adams Radio closes on its acquisitions of Oasis Radio Group and Summit City Radio’s Fort Wayne stations on Monday, June 2, the reverberations will lead to at least six frequencies debuting new formats.
Adams has been restaffing its soon to be acquired stations over the past week. Artistic Media South Bend Market Manager Shel Leshner will take the same role in Fort Wayne with Adams. Kevin Musselman comes from WSJV-TV Elkhart to serve as Director of Sales. Mark Allen will return to the market to serve as OM and Program Country “US 93.3” WBTU. Carter previously worked at Federated Media Country “K105” WLHK and most recently programmed Three Eagles cluster in Mason City, IA. Robbie Mack joins the company from CHR “Q92” WDJQ Canton to program CHR “Hot 107.9” WJFX and one of the new formats. Current “Rock 104” 103.9 WXKE PD JJ Fabini will remain with the station and Oldies 1250 WGL with the same duties. Current Oasis GM Phil Becker is moving to Portland to serve as VP/Programming for Alpha Broadcasting and PD of CHR “Live 95.5” KBFF.
A number of staffers are known to be exiting, including the entire airstaff of Summit City Rhythmic CHR “Wild 96.3” WNHT.
Based on domain registrations made by Adams Las Cruces Operations Manager Ernesto Garcia and the known spinoffs Adams made to build its new cluster we have a good idea of how their cluster will look once all the changes are complete.
- The Classic Rock format of “Rock 104” 103.9 WXKE will move to the stronger 96.3 WNHT signal. Adams has registered 963XKE.com for the station.
- The registration of 969Jamz.com for 96.9 W245CA points to WNHT’s format being relaunched on the translator Adams acquired as part of its deal with Calvary Radio Network.
- Calvary received “Oldies 102.9” WGL-FM Huntington. 102.9 will pickup Calvary’s Christian programming as WJCI.
- The swap for WGL-FM netted Adams 103.3 W277AK Fort Wayne. The company has registered ClassicCountry1033.com for it.
- The move of WXKE from 103.9 will open the door for a new format there. SoftRock1039.com points to a new competitor for 95.1 WAJI, which relaunched as “95.1 Best-FM” in March with a younger approach.
- Adams was required to spinoff 80s/90s Hits “Rewind 106.3” WHPP Columbia City. That station will go to Ft. Wayne Catholic Radio in exchange for 1450 WLYV Fort Wayne and take the Catholic programming with it.
- No word yet if the two AMs, 1250 WGL and 1450 WLYV will feed the two new translators or retain unique programming with an HD subchannel originating the programming for 96.9 and 103.3.