102.3 & 107.7 Dump Bob and Tom for Rover's Morning Glory

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Columbus

• Participant

Per their Facebook page, WFXN/WXXF Galion/Loudonville have split ways with Bob and Tom in favor of Rover’s Morning Glory. While their signals are not Columbus based, they do reach the northern part of the Columbus market and was the only station in the area other than Dayton to carry Bob and Tom.

I would frequently listen to B&T on 102.3, but Rover makes more sense as it is Cleveland based.

Participant

I’ve never liked Rover’s Morning Glory.  Anyone that refers to breasts as creamers has douche written all over them lol.  It’s still better than Bob and Tom though.  There’s really only three shows that I’ve listened to regularly throughout my life.  Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, and John Corby.  The only shows halfway decent in Columbus now are Loper and Randi, and The Breakfast Club.

Participant

I liked Bob and Tom but I wasn’t a die-hard fan. I’d listen in my truck travelling from one job to the next. I second your mention of Corby. I sure miss that guy. The others I’ve never really listened to other than The Breakfast Club and I can only take them in small doses as well.

The only shot I’ve got of listening to B&T now is on 104.7 in Dayton and that one is really hard to pick up in Marysville!

Participant

Rover’s act hasn’t changed one bit since he came to Cleveland in 2004. It’s old, tired and boring. He failed in Columbus twice, the second time after much ballyhooing and self-promotion. And now he has serious competition in the 25-54 demo from Carman and Lima on 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland.

Bob and Tom (well, just Tom, Bob retired years ago) is syndicated by Cumulus/Westwood One, but long-term iHeart-owned affiliates like WTUE and WIOT reupped with the show last month. That didn’t include WNCD in Youngstown or WFXN in Mansfield.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

Bob and Tom apparently will begin airing on Marysville’s WQTT (96.7/1270) beginning Monday as well as sister station 95X from Mount Gilead. WQTT, which has been running an oldies format since St. Gabriel radio moved back around 2010, now is branding itself as “Classic Rock 96.7FM and 1270AM.” It was not as recently as Saturday when I was listening. Interesting. I don’t mind classic rock but we have no shortage of that around here. Wonder why the change?

Participant

Yeah, would be interesting to know the reasoning behind the change.

I’m trying to recall when B&T was last on a Columbus station (if ever). Weren’t they on 99.7 once, maybe years ago when it was WMGG?

Participant

103.9 carried Bob&Tom during their “FM Talk” phase and possibly beyond that?

As for WQTT, I wonder if they just decided to put all their emphasis into WDLR, and let 1270 and 95X become jukeboxes. (To wit, because of QT picking up B&T, The Breakfast Club will be only on WDLR… that station is now totally live/local from 6am to 12am weekdays.)

Personally, it almost sounds like QT and 95X should just simulcast. The FM translator for QT is tightly directional and covers Marysville proper, it would seem to be a logical pairing with 95X’s Mount Gilead signal (and in any event, both stations are situated at WDLR’s transmitter site in Delaware).

Participant

Just recalled that B&T were also on 105.7 in one of its Classic Rock incarnations?

Participant

^ That is correct. I don’t remember them airing on 99.7 but Bob and Tom were on 105.7 for several years back in the early to mid-2000s.

As for WQTT, it’s essentially a jukebox now. For a while, it was arguably every bit as local as WDLR is now. Local morning show, then local informational shows that still air today (such as Ag Today and Bible Matters), then music most of the rest of the day. The Rick Rantz show aired for a couple years anyway, then Ian Graham had his afternoon rock and roll show for a year or more but left around Halloween a couple years ago (only to resurface later at WDLR, where he now hosts weekday evenings). WQTT also used to have a local overnight talk show in the mold of Art Bell, then later aired a syndicated show from Art Bell himself.

Rantz resurfaced as morning host at 95X for a time but that’s been a while back. I am pretty sure he hasn’t been on the air in a couple years. He didn’t have a bad show but it was not a good fit in Marysville. 95X doesn’t come in where I live and did not even before WMNI fired up its translator on 95.1 but I’ve never been impressed with it on the rare occasions I’ve listened. Nothing I can’t get anywhere else.

Back to WQTT … what is it now? Nothing local after 11 a.m. (I don’t count Shawn and Kate.) Their offices aren’t even in Marysville anymore. Noticed a while back when I was up there for work that their former office with the showcase studio now is occupied by a staffing agency. At the least, it’s disgenuous for them to tout themselves as local. Really a shame that the effort has been taken out to Marysville only to, for whatever reason, concentrate on WDLR.

I don’t live in Marysville or know anyone with the group outside WDLR’s midday DJ. I did, however, like the oldies format and am disappointed to see it and their local emphasis gone.

Participant

Wonder how the local businesses who aired it over their in store speakers are going to react to Bob & Tom and the new music format.  I guess we’ll see if they suddenly start getting new advertisers.

Participant

Wonder how the local businesses who aired it over their in store speakers are going to react to Bob & Tom and the new music format. I guess we’ll see if they suddenly start getting new advertisers.

I live near Marysville and have never heard 96.7 played in any local establishments. Even when “The Breakfast Club” visited our local gas station (Mosier’s Market) in Raymond for a turkey giveaway 104.3 continued to play inside the store. 96.7 is spotty once you get north and west of Marysville.

Participant

Wonder how the local businesses who aired it over their in store speakers are going to react to Bob & Tom and the new music format. I guess we’ll see if they suddenly start getting new advertisers.

If there were any that played QT at their place of business, wouldn’t they have advertised on the station? Or had enough advertisers to make the format sustainable?

Even from a simple outsider perspective, it’s kinda obvious that WDLR has been far more successful in selling their format, and 95X and QT haven’t. If the DJs assist in the sales department, you know that’s the case (which is undoubtedly why WDLR is live for 18 hours a day now).

Of course WDLR has a better translator with a more effective signal pattern than QT does (WDLR’s W225CM vs. WQTT’s W283AJ). And 95X is a class A rural signal at best a rimshot into Delaware. You can apparently only do so much with QT and 95X.

Participant

Actually, 95X is doing ok from an advertising perspective.  They get a good portion of revenue out of Marion.  WDLR is a combination of live and VT M-F 6 am to midnight.  And after 6 it’s mostly VT.  (Ain’t a care to be found in the parking lot generally after 5)  But even during the daytime hours, there’s a blend of live and memorex. A good portion of advertising is Marion based and leveraged off 95X although Delaware dollars seem to be increasing. 

The word is Marysville has never been a great advertising market for whoever owned it.  I read a thread several years ago on this or the other forum that said at one time Jack Frost made some $$$ with it.  But at the same time some employees during that era claim they made a beeline for the bank as soon as checks were handed over to make sure they got there before funds ran out.   I have heard that Bellefontaine is getting some $$ out of the market, so again, who knows whether it’s acceptability or people who can sell. 

As for my comment about stores airing it, it would seem if the stores are happy with the sound, they might be more inclined to buy advertising.   If they aren’t, they may not even listen to a pitch.  

Participant

^^^Make that “ain’t a car to be found in the parking lot generally after 5′

Participant

The Cleveland Indians and Blue Jackets radio networks have the capacity to be automated, I remember seeing that both utilize the same satellite distributor? Either way, has Ian Graham ever hosted surrounding the play-by-play between his stated 6pm-12am shift, or is it jock-less (doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be there per se on those nights)?

TBH, even in a small market, a station offering live-assist 18 hours a day is exceptionally rare (and that’s if the station is still locally-owned, which is even more rare). WMOA and WJER still do it, but Marietta and Dover/New Philadelphia are such small markets and they both have a lot of sports PBP at night. WCSM in Lima has a mix of live during the day and the WWO-Local VTs in late evenings and overnights. WLKR-FM in Norwalk has local personalities 24/7 against playlists supplied by WWO, but it’s all VTed after 8pm. Even a sales-driven station like the WOBL/WDLW duopoly in Oberlin/Lorain is live-assist only from 6am to 6pm… weekdays AND weekends.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php