104.7 stunting in Brooklyn

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast New York / Long Island 104.7 stunting in Brooklyn

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  limegrass69 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

joebenjamin
    Participant

New station—format pending.From WTC.

MTN Productions
    Participant

Never heard of it before. It’s just a stunting to see if the new format is coming on 104.7. I hope the new format will be a 50’s, 60’s and 70’s oldies like WGNY-FM, WROW and WLNG did as well as the defunct WABY where they used to play MOR standards.

I hope NYC has not been doing oldies since WCBS-FM did back in 2005 when it flipped to an ill-fated “Jack”, and then returned in 2007 playing a lot 60’s, 70’s and 80’s until 2015 where they dumped the 60’s completely and played less 70’s, 80’s and 90’s as well as some from the new millennium which is a waste of time. I stopped listening to WCBS-FM after Scott Shannon did his 1,000 show back in August, and after the show, I give up after his 1,000 show and I’m pretty much done with station. I still love Scott Shannon and I can listen to it frequently on his podcast. I remember one time, I heard “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars on CBS-FM which is a dumb idea, and “Soul Sister” by Trsin which it doesn’t belong on CBS-FM, and course, “I’m a Believer” by Smashmouth which was a remake of a classic by the Monkees. I’ll stick with the original version from 1967. I hope 104.7 will get an oldies format. Let’s see if this happens, you’ll be in for a surprise.

limegrass69
    Participant

Oldies? I assume you’re joking. My guess is that the owner of the tranaslator, who I am sure just dropped a fortune on engineering and construction to get the facility on the air, is looking to generate some revenue. Oldies is a sure way to not achieve that objective.

Leased ethnic is a good bet. Low cost and a steady revenue stream. It’s a good choice for a signal with such limited coverage, despite the impressive perch on which it sits.

Beachguy
    Participant

Too bad we don’t have a “Like” button here as on Facebook and other sites, because I woule give limegrass69 one. Oldies would make NO sense for a commercial venture.

De_Cos1972
    Participant

This new 104.7 is currently an FM translator of 93.1 WPAT-FM HD2.  Here are a couple of videos that I posted on YouTube about the new station.  One had the station ID for 93.1 HD2 and the other mentions only the 104.7 frequency.

MTN Productions
    Participant

Too bad we don’t have a “Like” button here as on Facebook and other sites, because I woule give limegrass69 one. Oldies would make NO sense for a commercial venture.

I don’t think so. It’s just a rumor that oldies will come to 104.7. I don’t see it coming just yet. I listened to one of the three oldies stations like WGNY, WROW and WLNG.

I remember since about 2 weeks ago, back on August 31st, one of the stations was playing “Respect” by Aretha Franklin, three times a day. I counted just three times. First was during a 5:30 AM show with Bob O on WGNY, and then around 6:30 AM or so, it was on WBPM where Bob Miller did his morning show, and again at around 1:30 PM or so on WROW with Kevin Richards did middays. All three stations played “Respect” by Aretha Franklin three times in one day. This is what they called competition.

To get back to 104.7, it’s still stunting, but I don’t see oldies coming to the station just yet, but we shall see. I hope it’s going to be a station which will take WGNY, WROW, WLNG and WBPM combining into one great oldies station. It’s going to take some time and patience. As in the words of the late, great David Bowie, “Ch-Ch-Changes!”

MTN Productions
    Participant

This new 104.7 is currently an FM translator of 93.1 WPAT-FM HD2. Here are a couple of videos that I posted on YouTube about the new station. One had the station ID for 93.1 HD2 and the other mentions only the 104.7 frequency.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8sKMKue_5o?feature=oembed&w=730&h=411%5D

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diEXcRByGOI?feature=oembed&w=730&h=411%5D

Yeah! I get it. I went on the TuneIn and 93.1 HD2 is not available, and yes, it mentions 104.7, and it is still stunting. If the new format will come in, but I don’t know if it’s oldies or not, or a AAA format, or possibly an MOR standards or easy listening format, or soft AC, or a dance format like “Pulse 87” did, we shall see if the Format Wheel will land on.

limegrass69
    Participant

The format will be none of the ones you listed.

MTN Productions
    Participant

The format will be none of the ones you listed.

I get it! It’s just part of a candidate for a format to launch on 104.7 in the coming weeks. If it’s going to be oldies or not. We shall see. It’s a secret.

Remember what happened in the 1970’s and 1980’s when WPIX-FM at the time was called the “Format of the Month Club”, remember that time?

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

I din’t even know why MTN is concerned here. He is in the Mid-Hudson Valley where 104.7 is top 40 K104 WSPK Poughkeepsie. This translator has a sharp northern null to protect it. You can bet owner Pamal will be alert to interference issues.

MTN Productions
    Participant

I din’t even know why MTN is concerned here. He is in the Mid-Hudson Valley where 104.7 is top 40 K104 WSPK Poughkeepsie. This translator has a sharp northern null to protect it. You can bet owner Pamal will be alert to interference issues.

You bet! WSPK’s “K104’s” signal is reaching most of Westchester County except the northern end of the Bronx. I remember getting WSPK coming into the Bronx many years ago, and I also remember back around 2001 or 2002 when WSPK was simulcasting on 107.1 in White Plains as “K107” and it didn’t last long until they pulled the plug and went AAA as “The Peak”. That a long time ago.

My guess that the new translator on 104.7 will block “K104” to protect it. And my guess, 104.7 will cover Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island and most of New Jersey, and I hope it will cover most of South Bronx, but not sure. We shall see.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

You bet! WSPK’s “K104’s” signal is reaching most of Westchester County except the northern end of the Bronx. I remember getting WSPK coming into the Bronx many years ago, and I also remember back around 2001 or 2002 when WSPK was simulcasting on 107.1 in White Plains as “K107” and it didn’t last long until they pulled the plug and went AAA as “The Peak”. That a long time ago.

My guess that the new translator on 104.7 will block “K104” to protect it. And my guess, 104.7 will cover Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island and most of New Jersey, and I hope it will cover most of South Bronx, but not sure. We shall see.

There’s no guessing needed. Pamal was obviously consulted about this translator judging by the very directional pattern that is being utilized here, because if they weren’t, you bet they will file a C&D as soon as possible.

The operators of 104.7 are not that reckless and stupid. Translators do not pop up without major consulting and accommodations to other stations nearby that might be impacted. And even then, it’s a crapshoot… look at Cumulus losing a translator in Atlanta that fed their “99X” stream, and the length of time that will take to get that back on the air, if it ever gets back on the air.

I get it! It’s just part of a candidate for a format to launch on 104.7 in the coming weeks. If it’s going to be oldies or not. We shall see. It’s a secret.

Remember what happened in the 1970’s and 1980’s when WPIX-FM at the time was called the “Format of the Month Club”, remember that time?

How can you compare a full-market FM from 30 years ago to a niche translator only targeting select portions of the metro in the present day? Am I missing something?

The areas of NYC that this translator will be targeting will not, NOT be able in any way, shape or form to support a vanity 50s/60s oldies outlet, or easy listening, or soft AC, or whatever else you wanted to see here. Even if the signal had a prayer of reaching the suburbs, then the chances increase from “never ever ever” to just “never ever.”

There’s nothing to debate or guess. Brokered ethnic is a solid, logical and sustainable choice for 104.7.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Bruce
    Participant

As of Sunday Night October 21, the station is still stunting with New York related music.  When will this end?

limegrass69
    Participant

I had seen an interference complaint filed with the FCC by WRNJ/Hackettstown on behalf of its 104.7 translator. Sort of a stretch if you ask me, but hey…go for it! I guess that’s being worked out, and perhaps causing a delay.

In any case, just to keep it fresh around here…it will NOT be oldies. Sorry!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php