105.7 flips to Classic Rock

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Columbus

• Participant

105.7 The Zone has flipped to classic rock as 105.7 The Brew.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/columbus/2019/02/102317/1057-the-zone-columbus-sports-radio-station-becomes-classic-rock-station-1057-the-brew

The Brew Is Back In Columbus As WXZX Zones Out

I guess they didn’t learn their lesson last time they had “The Brew” in Columbus. It will be interesting to see if this format will do any better than the sports talk format did.

Participant

The Zone must not have been doing as well as I figured. I share the disappointment of a lot of sports fans around town today. I like classic rock but this is the last format we need even more of in this town.
    They were a nice alternative to 97.1 and the afternoon shows are not in the same class. McCoy and Jackson had a vastly better show than what Common Man and T-Bone have become. They’ve been the same lazy schtick for years.
    Matt McCoy and Lori Schmidt will continue at 610. Both announced that today via Twitter. Hooley is looking for a new home per hits Twitter.
    Now what becomes of their game inventory? 105.7 had the Bengals, Cavaliers and Indians. 105.3 carries a partial Reds schedule as well as Ohio University sports. Guessing the Cavs are gone, the Bengals stay (they’re also on classic rock WTUE in Dayton) and who knows about the Indians. iHeart can’t even clear a full Reds schedule. What do they do with two MLB teams to squeeze in somewhere and 610 apparently not being an option?

Participant

I am not a fan of sports talk nor a fan of classic rock so honestly neither format catered to me however with that said it does leave a void for various sports in this town that will not be covered by WBNS AM/FM. iHeart did fill that void but as I have said in previous threads I am surprised they held on this long given it’s lack of ratings success. I honestly don’t see them doing much better in the PPM’s with The Brew but hey I could be proven wrong – I think their in an uphill battle going against established rocker QFM96.

Participant

97.1 has the two big-ticket play-by-play staples in tOSU and the Blue Jackets. They own the format.

As meaningless and useless as the 12+ demos are (and they really are, iHeart is privy to internal demos that we don’t know unless we subscribe to Nielsen) it’s clear that The Fan controls so much of the ratings and revenue pie, it wasn’t worth it for the Zone to continue on.

The Zone existed to siphon off listeners and revenue from The Fan, not to beat The Fan. And even that didn’t work.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

Outside 610 and 97.9, and more recently 93.3 to a lesser extent, iHeart has rotated throughout a lot of formats on its other frequencies. If 610 doesn’t air live sports again, and I do not see that happening as iHeart has shown no inclination for it, then at least the Reds and Indians are going to be stuck with maybe partial schedules airing here.

Have to think all the OSU-related programming will go back to 610.

Participant

97.1 couldn’t care less about the Blue Jackets, but they’re the dominant sports station in town (as much as that means, given that 97.1 and 1460 are now the only two choices) and they’ve been on one of those two stations for their entire existence. Can’t see them ever going anywhere else.

Participant

It’s always been weird that WTVN hasn’t been interested in sports play by play, while every other talk station they own in the state does (even those with a sports sister like WSPD, WMAN or WKBN).

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Hooley resurface in Cleveland (or at iHeart’s all-sports sister in Akron, where Munch Bishop primarily does his show now). He literally lives halfway between both cities, in Wooster.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

WTVN carried the Bengals for many years, at least from the 80s until about 2011 when they went to 1230/105.3, then 105.7. They carried the Reds from 1992-around 2010, when they, too, went to 1230. I think it was more an iHeart decision to make 610 pretty much pure talk and help pump up their sports properties with play-by-play. Well now, they have no sports properties.

Participant

xmusicmatt wrote:
    I honestly don’t see them doing much better in the PPM’s with The Brew but hey I could be proven wrong – I think their in an uphill battle going against established rocker QFM96.

WLVQ’s already-OK ratings rose a good deal a couple of years ago, and have maintained. (Of course Nathan’s cautions about 6+ ratings apply.) I’d imagine that’s one driver of iHeart’s decision on 105.7. They probably want to chip a few points back off of Q-FM.

Musically the Brew seems to be straddling the territory between Q-FM and the Blitz, plus playing some material that isn’t currently on either of those stations. Can anyone confirm whether this is a Premium Choice format (if that term is still used…)?

Participant

I like it. It’s a different rock mix. Hopefully this is the start of additional stations flipping formats.

Participant

I like it. It’s a different rock mix. Hopefully this is the start of additional stations flipping formats.

What else would you want to see changed in Columbus?

Participant

What else would you want to see changed in Columbus?

No station in particular, I’m just bored with what we have.

Participant

It’s a different mix, but at the end of the day, it’s basically the same stuff. We already have 96.3 and 99.7 with classic rock, not to mention 1270/96.7 out of Marysville having recently changed to that format from oldies. On top of that, you can hear quite a few of these songs on 93.3, 101.7 and 103.5/104.3.

Still waiting for one of the iHeart FMs to simulcast 610’s signal full-time (not counting 93.3’s HD2). Once they go back to their regular directional pattern, 610 will again be hamstrung by its poor signal after dark in many areas. Haven’t heard anything about that reported battle for a translator on 97.5 between WTVN and WBNS in quite a while.

Participant

I does seem like 75 to 80 percent of the time I tune into 103.9 or 93.3, they’re playing a classic rock song that I would hear on 105.7.  I feel like Columbus has too much classic rock.  Reminds me of a few years ago when 92.3, 100.3, and 107.1 were all playing country, and 95.5 was playing classic country.

Participant

I does seem like 75 to 80 percent of the time I tune into 103.9 or 93.3, they’re playing a classic rock song that I would hear on 105.7. I feel like Columbus has too much classic rock. Reminds me of a few years ago when 92.3, 100.3, and 107.1 were all playing country, and 95.5 was playing classic country.

All I want is for one to pick up classic country. Just one. Somebody whose signal reaches Marysville PLEASE flip. I’m burning up my phone’s data trying to listen to a decent country station.
    On a side note, I prefer WQTT’s playlist over all the classic rockers in town. I’ve been hearing music that I haven’t heard in years like April Wine, etc. It’s too bad they are half pirates at the moment with their mysterious call letters for 96.7…
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php