105-7 WROR, The 80s and More

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston 105-7 WROR, The 80s and More

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  BRW 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jeff Lehmann
    Participant

It seems that 105.7 WROR flipped from “Boston’s Greatest Hits” to “80s and More” at midnight, and dropped the “point” from the name.

https://wror.com/stream/wrorfm/

Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, etc have been added.

raccoonradio
    Participant

Interesting– yes the likes of Jackson etc were absent despite huge success.Classic pop not classic hits or rock?
    There was a time when MTV played few black artists.Michael Jackson changed that, as did the success of rap…and yes I just put WROR on and Beat It was just ending.Display on my HD portable still says Boston’s Greatest Hits

Jeff Lehmann
    Participant

It seems that there were quite a few more pop hits played this morning than this afternoon/evening. I’ve got to wonder if this was rushed because they felt someone else could flip to fill the void? The playlist at least so far is still mostly rock, and VERY repititive. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Eddie Money – Baby Hold On and Whitesnake – Here I Go Again at least 3 times today. I’ve heard a few of the new additions repeated as well. So far, I’m not impressed. Hopefully they’re just making a gradual transition to try to save the previous large audience, but they really need to open up the playlist a little.

nifty850
    Participant

Jeff, decades in radio, including years I research, lead to clear conclusion there’s an inverse correlation between the size of playlists and the size of ratings.

Active listeners, including those who are employed in radio, love large playlists. Passive listeners–the overwhelming majority–like short playlists. Its the kinda politically incorrect truth.

I was blessed to work for one of radio’s true programming legends.  He told us we, as employees, would  hate our station because we’d be sick of the repetition. That’s because we had the radio on 8 hours a day and our target audience listened for  MAYBE 20 minutes a day.   About the time we got absolutely nauseated by the new hit song–listeners would just begin to like it and want to hear it more frequently. That’s because we were listening at 25 TIMES the length of the listening audience. We SHOULD hate our station if we’re doing it right. His advice: don’t listen to it,

The same is true in the active versus passive nature of all radio listeners. Anyone who posts to message boards like this, works in radio, used to work in radio, is connected to the business, texts song requests–they are all active and like long playlists. Lot of folks–but a small percent of the audience. Not a target

The rest of the world–the ones who ring the meters—80% of the general population is PASSIVE. .. listen for a few minutes a day. They want small playlists.

raccoonradio
    Participant

The station’s music mix is now VERY 70s based. Yes some 80s cuts like Human League and Dexys Midnight Runners etc but maybe some don’t like the idea of them reducing the 70s cuts and have complained. It’s like Eagle 93.7 was “Hits of the 70s” but with some 80s.

Agreed about passive listeners, narrower playlists (“more variety”, not so) Same as things like Ch 7 morning newscasts (and some other stations) doing short sets of news, weather, traffic–not much TSV (time spent viewing) for people on the go

nifty850
    Participant

LOL. great point about WHDH AM newscasts!!

WCOZBoston
    Participant

Often wondered when looking at Entercom’s properties, why haven’t they brought back  the Mike FM format on one of their FMs.  It was quite successful and could have targeted some of the audience that is listening to both WROR and WZLX.  Seems like WROR incorporates a lot of the same music that WFNQ in Nashua plays.

BRW
    Participant

The station’s music mix is now VERY 70s based. Yes some 80s cuts like Human League and Dexys Midnight Runners etc but maybe some don’t like the idea of them reducing the 70s cuts and have complained. It’s like Eagle 93.7 was “Hits of the 70s” but with some 80s.

Agreed about passive listeners, narrower playlists (“more variety”, not so) Same as things like Ch 7 morning newscasts (and some other stations) doing short sets of news, weather, traffic–not much TSV (time spent viewing) for people on the go

They’ve added some more 80s pop/rock tracks to the playlist and but by no means they’re the 80s station.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php