1220 WGNY Drops ESPN (Again)

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Hudson Valley / Albany 1220 WGNY Drops ESPN (Again)

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Warren Hodges Jr 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

1220 WGNY Drops ESPN (Again)
    I noticed this morning that 1220 WGNY –AM, Newburgh is no longer carrying ESPN. In its place is “Todays best Country music –Fox Country 1220 WGNY and 103.1 WJGK-HD2. It is also heard on Poughkeepsie translator 97.3, W247AW
    Locally owned Sunrise, “Fox Radio”, dropped ESPN briefly a couple of years ago resuming simulcast with oldies 98.9 WGNY-FM, only to return ESPN after about a month. What gives with that; did they not renew the ESPN contract in time? Why else would they do that ?
    The Todays Best Country music has been on Fox Radio WJGK- HD2 for some time. They also have the Drive on WGNY-HD2. The country programing has a full complement of jocks, but they sound syndicated. They speak infrequently and generically.
    I don’t think this market needs another Country station, especially on AM. WGNY’s long time cross river rival 1260 WBNR, Beacon is part of the Hudson Valley’s Real Country Network. There is also the dominant country station in the market WRWD, Highland and 94.3/97.3 WKXP Kingston/WZAD Wurtsboro.
    Like I said they did this once before when they moved Van Richie to mid-days on WGNY-FM, with Bob O in the Morning. As posted previously that happened again almost a month ago. However, Van is still listed as the morning jock on line as well as on the FM info line on my radio.
    I really enjoyed ESPN on their 97.3 translator, around Poughkeepsie- Hyde Park, and hope they bring it back. Without ESPN on WGNY we are without ESPN radio in my part of the Hudson Valley. 98.7 WEPN-FM, NYC is weak and choppy and sandwiched between 98.5 WKIP translator and 98.9 WGNY- FM.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

One odd thing I meant to mention, but forgot, is that during the TOH legal ID for 98.9 WGNY- FM , they said WGNY and WGNY-FM , Newburgh. It sounded like 1220 was simulcasting oldies again, which it is not . WGNY- AM is the “Todays Best Country Music 24/7/365.”

MTN Productions
    Participant

That’s a terrible move. WGNY pulled the plug on ESPN Radio and went country for no dumb reason. The reason why this station isn’t competing with WBNR, WLNA and WGHQ’s “Real Country” network along with WRWD and WKXP and WZAD’s “The Wolf”. Congratulations!!! You’ve now got all 6 country stations competing for the same audience, and I guess that the Hudson Valley is not supporting all 6 country stations at once. They should blame Sunrise for that.

And good news! “Drive FX” is back on WGNY’s HD3 playing current dance music, just like the good old “Pulse 87” did in NYC many year ago, but it is great to have “Drive FX” back on the air for the first time in 3 years.

And speaking of sports stations not in the Hudson Valley, you can get your sports on any station like WFAN, it has a good signal in the daytime and comes well at night, because it’s a 50KW powerhouse station. If you’re in Albany, you can get your sports on one of the three stations like WOFX’s “Fox Sports” at 980, ESPN Radio on “The Team” at 104.5 and CBS Sports Radio on WINU’s “Win 104.9”. That’s all there is to it to get your sports station on there. As for WFAN, they brought in a chuck of listeners since WGNY’s “ESPN Radio” pulled the plug a few weeks back. Or you can listen to sports stations online like TuneIn. Thankfully, I have “ESPN Radio” at 98.7 on my TuneIn app, but if you don’t have TuneIn, get the app and get it going. Any thoughts?

MTN Productions
    Participant

Just to bump this thread, after 7 months of playing country on 1220 AM and 105.3 FM, WGNY’s “Fox Country” has pulled the plug and went back to oldies as “Fox Oldies” on both 1220 AM and 98.9 FM, because “Fox Country” took a nose dive and it struggled against the other country stations like WBNR/WLNA/WGHQ’s “Real Country” also on 92.5 along with WRWD and WKXP/WZAD’s “The Wolf”. Way too many country stations and it’s a bad move for the station. Thanks to Sunrise for blowing up the country format and put oldies back on. They also screwed up with ESPN Radio and it doesn’t work and it was a huge mistake. When the station flipped to country back in February, it was a disaster. I hope Sunrise needs a wake up call.

If “Fox Oldies” is not going to do well, maybe Sunrise needs to sell the station to another owner. Look at WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5”, they did a great job with the oldies format mixing with 80’s and 90’s hits which is a great idea put oldies with a blend of MOR standards and classic hits combined. WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” play a little bit of oldies, but it plays too much classic rock, like Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” which is horrible, along with a bunch of others things that is currently playing on WDPH during its rotation, but it lacks 80’s hits, thanks to Dick Bartley’s “Rock & Roll’s Greatest Hits”, a Saturday night specialty show plays 4 hours of classic hits than oldies. “Magic” on the other hand has “Saturday Night at the Oldies” is still a great show hosted by Richie Norris, great job on him. According to the Poughkeepsie Spring ratings book, WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” continues to have a big fat “0” in the ratings. Thanks to WBPM for their 60’s, 70’s and 80’s mix, but I love JJ Carter so much. WKNY also has an oldies show on Saturday afternoons which is well done, thanks to Warren Lawrence. And also, WABY has Bob Green on Saturday morning. You know, Bob Green has been doing afternoons on WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” for many years until he left last year and went to WABY. The overall presentation on WABY is the same oldies format than “Magic” and “Fox Oldies” did along with a mix of songs that you hear on the other stations that playing Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Patti Page, Dean Martin and others mixing with oldies. But sadly, the WABY stream is removed from TuneIn back last month. Thanks to everyone, now I can listen to WABY via online stream, not on TuneIn.

In the meantime, let’s hope if “Fox Oldies” succeeds, if not, oldies is going to be a dying format, and it’s going to be the last nail in the coffin if it’s not going to do well.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

Your first paragraph is informative. You should have stopped there. It is pointless to rattle on about Fox Oldies Vs other not really in the same market stations.
    I did not understand why Sunrise chose to put their HD Country simulcast on 1220. There is too many Country stations in the market already.
    Oddly , but not really, for Fox they have been including WGNY- AM in the WGNY-FM legal ID this entire time. It is rather annoying to tell us 5 , yes, five times we are listening to WGNY-FM during the TOH ID.
    I had wished they kept WGNY-AM as ESPN, but since they moved their FM translator to Newburgh on 105.3 ,which does not make it to Hyde Park, and 1220 doesn’t either after dark, it really no longer matters

Once upon a time New York City had 4 CHR stations on FM. Time and the marketplace decided who had staying power. The same should hold true for Country radio in the Mid-Hudson Valley.

As well, whoever goes by “musicradio77TV” needs to stop telling Sunrise Broadcasting Corporation what to do with its radio stations. Sunrise Broadcasting may very well get a restraining order against “musicradio77TV”.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

It really appears that Sunrise broadcasting just makes things up as they go along, without any prior planning. A few months ago they moved their WGNY-AM Poughkeepsie (97.3) translator to Newburgh on 105.3. WGNY -FM Rosendale, who’s signal is a bit weak in Newburgh has had a translator in Newburgh at 94.5. Oldies 98.9 , 94.5 . Since it is pointless to have the same program on 2 same city translators they moved the country also ran to 94.5 ( actually WJGK-HD2). They still ID Oldies 98.9, 94.5 I wonder how many months it will take to change that. Of course they could have switched it around so oldies and country could have stayed on the frequencies they were on , just change the feed, so listeners would know where to find them. No matter to me neither translator reaches Poughkeepsie.

MTN Productions
    Participant

It really appears that Sunrise broadcasting just makes things up as they go along, without any prior planning. A few months ago they moved their WGNY-AM Poughkeepsie (97.3) translator to Newburgh on 105.3. WGNY -FM Rosendale, who’s signal is a bit weak in Newburgh has had a translator in Newburgh at 94.5. Oldies 98.9 , 94.5 . Since it is pointless to have the same program on 2 same city translators they moved the country also ran to 94.5 ( actually WJGK-HD2). They still ID Oldies 98.9, 94.5 I wonder how many months it will take to change that. Of course they could have switched it around so oldies and country could have stayed on the frequencies they were on , just change the feed, so listeners would know where to find them. No matter to me neither translator reaches Poughkeepsie.

Thanks for the mention. After listening to the station, I heard a TOH ID mentions 94.5, but it’s not oldies anymore, it’s now “Fox Country” at 94.5 and 103.1’s HD3 channel. Trust me, it’s a wise decision.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

I noticed they had updated the id on WGNY the day after my last post. They changed not only the TOH legal ID but every time the station is mentioned is a mouthful oldies 98.9,1220,105.3 WGNY.
    Putting Country on the 94.5 translator keeps the transmitter warm but will do little against WRWD and WKXP simulcast WZAD.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php