1580 WVKO once again owned by Percy Squire

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Columbus

• Participant

Well, some proof Percy Squire may have lost control of WVKO and doesn’t own WVKO AM is because the newest DJ said on the stream, ‘WVKO 1580 on 92.9 FM’. The previous ID  she said, “WVKO at 92.9 FM” There is just an OC on the 92.9 frequency now but maybe they will broadcast the gospel programming on 92.9 FM. What is the chance Precy Squire is having technical problems and still has an LMA to broadcast at 1580 AM.> Thoughts? As I type this she said WVKO 1580 and 92.9 FM but 92.9 is OC and 1580 has the oldies music.

Participant

So how can the translator program something different than the station it’s attached to?

Participant

So how can the translator program something different than the station it’s attached to?

It legally cannot deviate from the station it’s assigned to relay. No ifs, ands or buts.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

Nothing has changed on WVKO 1580 AM and its 92.9 FM translator with dead air but something of interest on the WVKO stream today.
    All the local DJs are gone as of this morning as well a two-hour talk show from 12:00 Noon to 2:00 PM. As you recall, the local Djs gave out the call letters from both 1580 AM and 92.9 FM yesterday but there is only continuous gospel music now on the stream with only this occasional drop-in, “The Praise”. There was no explanation on the stream as to what the future of WVKO-AM will be going forward so
    it appears that WVKO-AM, as we have to know if over the last few years is history. If this is not the case, the WVKO 1580 staff and management
    are very quiet about the future of “The Praise” format on 1580 AM and 92.9 FM.

Participant

Any chance we lose the WVKO translator on 92.9 as a result of these changes? I’m sure that would thrill the folks in Delaware.

Participant

Looks like the sale fell through.  TSJ is exercising their option to acquire the Percy’s translator with the price reduced by unpaid fees.  See link for info.  https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101810545&formid=345&fac_num=142648

Participant

Yes, I saw that a few hours ago myself. It now appears TSJ is going to sell WVKO-AM to another potential buyer because they now have a translator to go along with WVKO-AM, making it a more attractive property to a potential buyer. Also, TSJ is improving the audio chain of WVKO-AM as of the last twelve days or so leaving me to believe they are looking for another potential buyer. Any ideals who will buy WVKO-AM and its 92.9 translator?  Then will the old WVKO-AM format be available on the internet only?

Participant

Sounds like TSJ is taking away WVKO’s translator and moving it to a different primary source. You can clean up the audio chain of AM 1580 all you want but what’s the point? No one is going to want to listen to a high-band AM station with no FM piggyback, leaving Percy Squire up the creek if that does happen.

Participant

My understanding is the translator is to be paired with WVKO-AM under TSJ ownership.

Participant

Why am I not surprised.. Good ol’ Percy when he owned 103.1 WVKO-FM had issues keeping it on air back when it was urban formatted it had some of the worst sounding audio in Columbus. I am pretty sure they were broadcasting music down a POTS phone line then TSJ took over and put on the Spanish format and cleaned it up.

However with that said – the AM site was built in the mid 2000s so it’s not that ancient of a site compaired to some in town so not sure transmitter plant wise what they could do to improve things.   As to no on air staff on WVKO-AM anymore sounds like the folks who were running it may have run out of cash if the talent has suddenly disappeared..  Based on reading that transfer app for the translator from Percy to TSJ sounds like some past due money was owed to TSJ

Participant

Of Friday, Percy Squire turned off his WVKO-AM translator on 92.9 after running two weeks with an Open Carrier aka Dead Air. There is not an STA to remain silent of the FCC database as of yet. That should make the folks  in Delaware, Ohio happy for the time being as well as the WDLR 1550 listeners in the Columbus area that may like to listen to the WDLR 1550  translator on 92.9 on occasion.

They now have some live talent on the WVKO-AM 1580 Praise website and they say they will be back on the air soon but no details as of yet. Also, someone said  WDLR 1550 may be a potential buyer for TSJ radio’s  WVKO-AM 1580 and its 92.9 translator.

Participant

Also, someone said WDLR 1550 may be a potential buyer for TSJ radio’s WVKO-AM 1580 and its 92.9 translator.

If you were counting a message I said that insinuated such a thing, I deleted it because I thought someone would take my flippant remark – a joke – totally out of context.

Participant

Of Friday, Percy Squire turned off his WVKO-AM translator on 92.9 after running two weeks with an Open Carrier aka Dead Air. There is not an STA to remain silent of the FCC database as of yet. That should make the folks in Delaware, Ohio happy for the time being as well as the WDLR 1550 listeners in the Columbus area that may like to listen to the WDLR 1550 translator on 92.9 on occasion. They now have some live talent on the WVKO-AM 1580 Praise website and they say they will be back on the air soon but no details as of yet. .

I wouldn’t count on them being back on WVKO 1580 AM unless they can cough up the money to buy the station themselves which I feel is unlikely.  All the best to them though.  Clearly SANDBLAST, L.P. is jumping out of the broadcasting game again since they are selling TSJ the translator for WVKO-AM.
    No doubt TSJ will keep running the R&B Oldies filler until they can offload the station.
    Not surprised Sandblast was running dead air on 92.9 I am sure once the Praise/Drum folks got removed from 1580 AM he pulled the plug on the feed to his translator… I am surprised it took them this long to turn the thing off – in the period of time leading up to Salem taking 95.9 off his hands they did the same thing (turned off the translator).

Participant

It seems like the translator at 92.9 might be back on with dead air. I was near Upper Arlington today and was hearing dead air fade in and out over top of WDLR 92.9 today.

Participant

I asked Mr Squire if he would turn off his translator again because its transmitting dead air and here is his reply  below. This has been going on for about 36 hours now.

“We completed installation of a new antenna yesterday and we are testing it this weekend . This should be resolved early next week.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php