1590 WAKR On the air?

RI Community Forums Midwest Cleveland 1590 WAKR On the air?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jawbreaker 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

xmusicmatt
    Participant

I am not in the market but came across this web stream for WAKR:

http://player.listenlive.co/33401

It’s nothing but “CBS Radio Networks Channel 41 <tone>” over and over at 10 pm on Thursday evening 8/17/17… I really hope this is not what their broadcasting on their AM signal… (but I am not in the market so I can’t check).

jawbreaker
    Participant

I didn’t hear it after I checked at 11:10 PM Thursday night.

What you are describing is what a board operator would hear when the CBS network is not currently feeding anything at all. This would be broken with a long tone alerting affiliates a feed is about to begin (Monday Night Football or some such CBS sports event). Then, time marks will be given to sync clocks for an easier network join.

I have no inside knowledge of how that old fat dude at WAKR runs his board and computers but my best guess is .. a subchannel is the Internet feed. (Such as “Audition”) This makes it easier to cut the feed on things like MLB broadcasts because MLB.tv keeps a pretty tight grip on the online rights fees. Then, re-engage it when James Horner, Ray Horner, Horny Horner .. whoever .. comes back on to spew their right wing bullshit.

They can stream that all they want to various trailer parks and asylums.

No charge.

Crazy Monkey
    Participant

comes back on to spew their right wing bullshit.

Very classy of you jawbreaker… Isn’t the left-wing CBS News on WAKR enough for you?
    By the way, it’s for this reason that I took a break from this website for several months… to much political garbage, disrespect for media personalities, and not enough actual radio talk.  Aren’t there rules against profanity and political discussion here?  If not, I can go elsewhere.

jawbreaker
    Participant

If you honestly believe that CBS News is left wing .. elsewhere is a good place for you to be

Crazy Monkey
    Participant

CBS already has BS in its name, not WAKR.

tim131
    Participant

Unless there is an Indians (Browns, Cavs, OSU) game running, there are no live “board operators at WAKR after the afternoon drive sports talk show ends (I believe at 7pm M-F). No news people either. I *believe* WAKR’s sister station WONE-FM is also “voice tracked” after TK’s shift ends (I think at 7pm M-F)….so there’s no person in their studio either until morning drive the next day (M-F). Only country sister station WQMX is live, 24/7.

This is not to in any way pick on these stations. This is very, very common across the USA.

The Indians were playing a day/night doubleheader in Minnesota on 8/16. The 2nd game started at 8:10pm EDT and likely wasn’t over until after 11pm EDT that date. Pro & college sports affiliates are not permitted to stream those games, so stations have to fill with something. Maybe WAKR fills will CBS programing. Again, I don’t know…I haven’t listened to their stream in 6 years.

Bottom line is….in a world of businesses (not just radio stations) where owners are looking to save money by cutting staff and automating…mistakes happen.

jawbreaker
    Participant

WAKR carries the Tribe, Tim. Sometimes rain delays happen.

So, that would throw a monkey in the wrench for automation.

It would cost Rubber City Radio upwards of .. gosh .. $25 .. to cover 3 hours of a sports broadcast.

I can’t see how radio has much of a future with costs like this.

They must REALLY know how to save money.

tim131
    Participant

Jawbreaker: I’m pretty sure I know more about those stations than 99% of folks here. 😂

jawbreaker
    Participant

I was on the air for 27 years in Northeast Ohio radio.

Can ya beat it?

tim131
    Participant

45+ years in broadcasting. Worked for many of the stations folks here talk about.
    It’s fine for any of us to have opinions. When I read things about specific stations and I worked at some of those stations (in some cases over 20 years) I chuckle.

Ray
    Participant

45+ years in broadcasting. Worked for many of the stations folks here talk about. It’s fine for any of us to have opinions. When I read things about specific stations and I worked at some of those stations (in some cases over 20 years) I chuckle.

I wonder if you, Tim, or Jawbreaker, knew a guy by the name of John Zindash. Back in the late 1960’s he worked at what I believe was WKNT, a real low power station based in Kent. (I believe WNIR is it’s direct descendent, and now has it’s tower in the Akron area.) Anyway, Mr. Zindash, our next door neighbor, did news, sports, and DJ’ed at the station while also writing for local newspapers and the Akron Beacon Journal. I think he told me once that he got paid $25 for broadcasting Portage County area high school football games (which he had to share with the 2 other engineers or whatever they were for those live gigs). He let me work (for free) as his “spotter” a few times, giving him the names of who made the tackles. He inspired me to push for a radio station at our high school, which we finally did get in 1974 after it was too late for me to participate in. I do remember one other thing about him though. When he quit or got fired from that station they must’ve had a format change (talk radio?), because they let him and others take all the 45rpm records home with them. And he gave a bunch of those old classics to our family when he moved to another state. That guy had to freelance to support his family even back then. But he had great stories to tell and really loved his job on the radio. Listening to him was even better than watching WKRP, which I thought was pretty entertaining and often spot-on accurate.

tim131
    Participant

Ray….I don’t recognize that name. Sorry.

Ray
    Participant

Ray….I don’t recognize that name. Sorry.

Thanks anyway, Tim. He was a great guy. And such a perfect voice for radio. His stories would’ve had you rolling on the floor.

jawbreaker
    Participant

I do not recognize that name at all. Sorry.

The one thing that people do not mention when they laugh about the low pay in radio is .. these high school football games in NE Ohio are a license to print money. They get so many sponsors it’s stupid. When I moved to upper management at several stations in the area, I remember always being flabbergasted at the profit margin made off the backs of high school kids and announcers who would have done it for free just to be “somebody” in the high school football scene.

In raw numbers .. and this is from decades past .. a smaller station would make $7,000 – $8,000 from just sponsorships, pre-game and post-game purchases and live reads. Out of that 8 grand, they would pay the 2 announcers $50 a piece and the kid back at the station engineering it (who had to be there anyways) another $25. I mean, DAMN, that’s a cash outlay of a whopping $125 and $7,875 profit.

So, when you hear about this ridiculously low and embarrassing pay .. it doesn’t have to be that way.

Hell, they could have paid the two guys a THOUSAND DOLLARS A GAME .. and still made 5 grand in pure profit.

It’s just unbridled greed to ludicrous proportions that makes radio pay that low.

It doesn’t have to be that way.

tim131
    Participant

Most of what Jawbreaker said is so true. I know: I wrote a TON of high school sports sponsorships over my decades in radio advertising sales. It was the easiest sales I ever made. I remember a few years, I myself did almost $30,000 in business in HS sports. I think they paid the two announcers $100 each per game…trying to remember. It was way more than [email protected]  I heard about 10 years ago WHBC 1480 did over $100,000 a year in total high school sports broadcasts. Also, little 990 WTIG made well over $60,000/year with local HS sports. Not sure if it’s still a huge money-maker, but it could be. Especially in medium & smaller markets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar