2017 NEPA Radio Predictions

RI Community Forums Mid-Atlantic Northeast Pennsylvania 2017 NEPA Radio Predictions

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of miketheradioguy miketheradioguy 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tiger1983
    tiger1983
    Participant

Since no one has posted any topics for quite a while, let me tell you that I am the first person since three months ago that I have posted this topic. This one pertains to my predictions that I have made for the NEPA radio scene. And here they are…

1. Yankees signs a deal with WARM Sportsradio to broadcast all of their games.

2. Either WICK or some other station(possibly Rock 107 or Fuzz 92.1) will have the rights to NY Giants games(Since NEPA is within the Eagles territory, there are other fans who are rooting for the Giants, since Scranton and NY are two hours apart, just like the Yankees, that’s why we have a minor league baseball team that is afflilated with the Bronx Bombers.

3. Max 102 will at some point flip to AC, competing with market leader Magic 93(Reason I brought this idea up is because of recent changes within the landscape, like a low-rated CHR station being flipped in favor of AC down the PA turnpike in Philly, competing with their market leading AC there).

4. Entercom using their HD sidebands to launch their new format on the new translators, just like the ones across the country.

5. Family Life expanding their signal, possibly buying another frequency somewhere in the area, and auctioning off one of their translators.

So these are my predictions that would possibly happen this year.

Entercom is now required to divest one if its stations since it will lose its grandfathered status as a result with the merger with CBS Radio. I was thinking that the station that will be spun off could be sold to either Bold Gold Media Group or Times-Shamrock, who would then sell WZBA/100.7 The Bay in Baltimore to Entercom in exchange for the station.

Profile photo of Curt Schwarzwalder
    Curt Schwarzwalder
    Participant

My initial thought would be that they would spin off Max 102 (WMQX) as it has lower ratings than the others, but an article in All Access lists Froggy 101 (WGGY).  Max and WILK are diplexed in Entercom’s back yard, while Froggy’s transmitter is miles away- that could be a factor.

Profile photo of Curt Schwarzwalder
    Curt Schwarzwalder
    Participant

On second look, Entercom would only have to spin off the ‘Froggy’ simulcast class A in Columbia County, WGGI 95.9 in Benton.  So, yeah, that’s it.

I expect that Entercom will acquire a translator to fill in coverage holes with the spinoff of 95.9. I bet that Entercom could also acquire a translator for 98.5 KRZ, that would eventually lead to 107.9 breaking off the simulcast.

Since 95.9’s signal is within the Sunbury-Selinsgrove-Lewisburg market, I think Entercom will sell the station to a broadcaster in said market.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar