730 WZMF Nanticoke off the air

RadioInsight Community Forums Mid-Atlantic Northeast Pennsylvania 730 WZMF Nanticoke off the air

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Curt Schwarzwalder 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

The Luzerne County AM station for “Gem 104” Classic Hits / Oldies has been silent for at least a week. It’s FM translators at 104.5, 95.3 and the new 250 watt supertranslator at 92.5 continue, however. I thought “translators were supposed to have something to “translate.”

The former WNAK is licensed for 1 kw day, 12 watts night. -Curt

Doug Smith

Yeah, the translators are supposed to go off if the primary is off for more than 24 hours.

I doubt anyone is surprised to see that regulation ignored.

Having grown up a half-mile from the original WZMF, I have a hard time getting used to seeing those calls on an AM station in Pennsylvania…..

Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View (Nashville), TN

Station is still silent, translators continue, technically translating nothing.

The absence of usually strong, local WZMF (even at 12w night power) has allowed CKAC Montreal to come through unimpeded every night. The 50kw signal is aimed away from here but still dominates 730. “Radio Circulation” has an unusual format: All traffic reports all the time in French “La circulation, en tout temps.”

Ratings-wise, it seems to me such an operation would generate poor TSL (time spent listening) numbers but may have a good CUME among Fracophones. -Curt

Doug Smith

Apparently the Quebec government is subsidizing CKAC’s all-traffic operation. So they aren’t really worried about ratings.

Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View (Nashville), TN

Apparently the Quebec government is subsidizing CKAC’s all-traffic operation. So they aren’t really worried about ratings.

Yes, I’m not surprised. They do that with local TV as well. I’ve been to Quebec a few times, enough that I can actually (sort of) understand the content, knowing some French and being somewhat familiar with Montreal-area locations. -Curt

mimo

CKAC only has a year or two left on the deal with the partial subsidy. The Government will either have to renew the deal or the station will have to go it alone and in that case it will probably change formats. The previous owner, Corus, was very good at running crap on the cheap.

No sign of WGMF since Jume until I detected an extremely weak signal on 730 the past two days that matches the “Gem 104” FM “translators”. It seems to be much weaker than even the usual WGMF 12 watt nightime facility would be during the day. The WGMF tower is just a few miles from me (along the Susquehanna River just north of the Route 29 bridge in Plymouth Township.) At night, Radio Circulation (Montreal traffic in French) continues to barrel in on 730 most of the time with no hint of “Gem”. Formerly, WGMF was solid here at night. -Curt

coughitup

I remember hearing an old WNAK video on Youtube as it went off the air for the night. When Michael Richards, the man on the air that day said, “We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but nature takes its course,” he was hinting that they had to sign off so that CKAC 730 in Montreal could come in and rule the airwaves.

coughitup

Here’s the link to that aircheck, so you’ll know what I’m talking about.

And by the way, at the end of the video, you’ll hear “The Night Watch” by Jim Reeves. And by the way, the guy’s name is Jim Richards.

“We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but nature takes its course”

Ha! I was more matter-of-fact when I signed off a daytimer, which I did for a few months in the ’90s. I think maybe they were trying to put their listeners to sleep with that music, so they wouldn’t switch to another radio station 🙂 -Curt

benale

Too many translators in NE Pa. GEM is on four frequencies, and way too much sports,but I digress.

I remember when WIOO Carlisle at 1000 on the dial(great calls for the frequency)would sign off at sunset back in the 70’s they would say to keep it here for WCFL in Chicago. We’ll return tomorrow morning.

Steve Green
    Participant

One of the first stations I heard after moving here to PA was CKAC, coming in with a PBP a little before sunset, in French, of an Expos game. I can still hear the announcer screaming ‘Maawwww -keeeeeese …… Greeeeesssommmmm!’ and the cheers from the stands, when Marquis Grissom hit an inside-the-park home run.

Anyway, a question : Which facility along that Gem-104 maze, if there is just one, is the ‘feed’ station for it all?

A question : Which facility along that Gem-104 maze, if there is just one, is the ‘feed’ station for it all?

Hmmm… 1460 WGMF Tunkhannock is the original “Gem” (along with 107.7 FM WGMF-FM which was sold to Family Life Network and is now WCIG.) 730 WZMF (formerly WNAK) was added as a simulcast. But WZMF is operating with what sounds like a Ronco Caravelle 100mw transmitter at the moment.

The studio address is listed as Wilmar Drive in Tunkhannock. (Phone 570-836-4200) So I would say WGMF is the “feed”.

The tangled web of originating stations and their translators, as near as I can tell is:

1460 WGMF Tunkhannock 5kwD/1kwN Directional
    104.3 W282BK Tunkhannock 250w, 1152ft
    104.5 W283BE Scranton 27w, 66ft
    101.7 W269CF Clarks Summit 24w, 737ft

730 WZMF Nanticoke 1kwD/12wN Omni (normally)
    92.5 W223CC Wilkes-Barre 250w, 875ft
    95.3 W237DP Mountain Top 99w, 861ft
    99.9 W260AY Harveys Lake 132w, 742ft
    104.5 W283BJ Wilkes-Barre 99w, 852ft

Steve Green
    Participant

No WNAK here MM 8-18 at 8:45. I’ve gotten their usual signal as far as Minersville pretty easily on the GE SR II.

O/T, but this seems a good place for this:

Yesterday I was down the dial a little, trying to get a taped ID from WEJL on 630. They were there in the usually scracthy and faint way with a Phillies game.
    Thing is, every break for an ‘ESPN in Northeast PA’ sounder came blasting in, way louder than the PBP itself!
    At those times , it sounded as though the station were five miles away, not fifty.
    And then the faint but readable PBP would return. The reception was like hearing them broadcasting baseball at 200 watts, and IDing with 20,000 watts.

No WNAK here MM 8-18 at 8:45. I’ve gotten their usual signal as far as Minersville pretty easily on the GE SR II.

Yes, Steve, 730 continues barely on-the-air with a hamster-powered transmitter, apparently. The “Gem” FM translators continue unhampered, though.

The (WEJL 630) reception was like hearing them broadcasting baseball at 200 watts, and IDing with 20,000 watts.

Ha! I’ve heard of stations illegally boosting power during Friday night high school football games, but this is a new one: boost power during station liners! -Curt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php