730 WZMF Nanticoke off the air

RadioInsight Community Forums Mid-Atlantic Northeast Pennsylvania 730 WZMF Nanticoke off the air

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Curt Schwarzwalder 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Thieves attacked the site twice. Police there multiple times. Copper stolen, ATU ransacked, repairs ongoing.

KF

Thieves attacked the site twice. Police there multiple times. Copper stolen, ATU ransacked, repairs ongoing. KF

I was sort of hoping it was an issue like this rather than just pure negligence. I know how vulnerable AM transmitter sites are as they are nearly always unmanned and insecure. I’ve dealt with the results of copper theft – it’s not pretty. Best of luck to you. -Curt

sparky

I sent an e-mail to GEM 104 in the early summer and asked if 730 was going back on the air. Finally in August they replied that they had some people to do the work.Not sure what that meant. I don’t know if the transmitter needed replacing or if the tower feed line was shot. As of today it’s still off. Being in radio as a DJ for many years and owning a station for 5 of those years i always understood it that if a station was going to be off the air the FCC had to be notified and the station could not be legally identified in the Top of the Hour ID on the FM side. Here it is 7 to 9 months later and it still is. Has anyone heard any details on this.

I did an FCC search AM query just now. The most recent action found involving WZMF was a license renewal on July 25, 2014 as seen on page 21 of this PDF:
    https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-328529A1.pdf

This was about a month after they went off the air.

It’s been 17 months since that happened and 15 months since:

Thieves attacked the site twice. Police there multiple times. Copper stolen, ATU ransacked, repairs ongoing. KF

The silence has been deafening.

Over the past year … Replaced old ATU with new one; Repaired ground connection issues; Replaced transmitters with BE 1kw; New fencing and security; New Guys to go up in late Qu 1. Station sounds great in Scranton now.

…Station sounds great in Scranton now.

I noticed 730 back on the air around New Year’s Day. It seems to be operating as it should. An average-sounding AM as far as audio quality, but it’s back to the old signal strength here. It’s good to have it return to the airwaves.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php