84 WHAS is now 840 WHAS?

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Kentucky 84 WHAS is now 840 WHAS?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  keithe4 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Joseph_Gallant

For decades after their going all-news in 1967, WCBS-880 in New York promoted themselves as “Newsradio 88”, and many of their listeners probably still refer to WCBS by that nickname.

But over the last several years, their branding has been “Newsradio 880”.

I think in WCBS’s case, it may have been due to the growth in digital tuners with some people wondering why they go to 88 on the FM dial and find either WCWP (actually on 88.1) on Long Island or WBGO (actually at 88.3) in Newark and not WCBS.

audioguy
    Participant

I have to chuckle when I read the comments about how incorrect it is to refer to a station’s frequency by using only two digits, as though people using a digital tuner couldn’t figure out how to find the station unless they use all of them. To me, this is like political correctness as applied to dial positioning.

If it’s so necessary to go by all of the digits, then how come so many FM stations go by inaccurate designations like “FM 98” when the actual frequency of the station is 97.7? Gosh, there must be some poor soul out there punching in 98.0 on their digital tuner wondering why they can’t hear anything!

My pet peeve is the AM stations who got a translator that are now ID’ing only by the FM frequency. No mention at all of the AM frequency, except maybe at the TOH. It’s as though the AM no longer even exists!

Marketing folks: want to differentiate your station? Here’s a novel idea. Identify by the wavelength in meters (or metres, if you’re Canadian). 🙂

Autodyne

My pet peeve is the AM stations who got a translator that are now ID’ing only by the FM frequency. No mention at all of the AM frequency, except maybe at the TOH. It’s as though the AM no longer even exists!

Well the AM essentially doesn’t exist. Those AM transmitters are just a government-mandated dummy load in the feedline to the FM transmitter. Especially if said station is doing a music format.

Most station legal IDs these days start with the perfunctory mention of the calls and COL (and most-populated region of note if other than the COL) and end with “something.com.” The last part is what they want you to remember.

keithe4

Marketing folks: want to differentiate your station? Here’s a novel idea. Identify by the wavelength in meters (or metres, if you’re Canadian).

No US station has been identified by its wavelength since Calvin Coolidge, or at the latest, Herbert Hoover, was President, and very few people alive today remember it. Nobody younger than 100 will know what you’re talking about. 😀

Yes, I know you’re kidding but someone here will take it seriously.

Beer. Because no good joke ever started with "Two guys walked into a salad bar."

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php