92.3 The Fan Monday (01/15/2018) afternoon

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland 92.3 The Fan Monday (01/15/2018) afternoon

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  tim131 21 hours, 25 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Between 2pm and 3pm I was out running errands in the car and tuned into 92.3 at some point. John Peterland (or however his name is spelled) was hosting the Bull & the Fox show. There was also what sounded like a 20-something young woman named Meredith (or some name that began with an “M”) on the air with him too. I don’t know if she was there as a co-host, or was supposed to be reading the updates, or what. But she was chiming in the whole time I had the station on.

What struck me was what they were talking about for the entire of the half hour between 2:30-3:00. From what I could gather some woman recorded her husband under anesthesia and what he had to say was evidently very popular on social media or wherever she posted it. (I didn’t hear any of the show before approx. 2:30, so I don’t know if this was about somebody famous or what it was all about.)

Parts of the 2 time blocks were entertaining, because listeners and tweeters and emailers stories got on the air. And I was reminded of my personal experiences and those of family members and friends post-op or otherwise REALLY doped up in the hospital. We all laughed about them later, ya know?

But wow,  I was just really surprised they were allowing this fill-in guy to spend way so much time off sports talk. Which frankly, for the 2 segments I heard it was kind of refreshing, it being such an off-beat subject and all. But what I’m wondering is if anyone else happened to hear it and could clarify some things for me.

Is the host (Peterland?) and the young woman full time staff there?

Will their air time increase in the future? Or are they like 2nd stringers waiting for their break?

Will 92.3 be open to having large blocks of time in the future not sports-related on the air, like I heard today?  Or was this just a throw-away shift that was the best they could do to fill in for the regulars taking their time off in the dead of winter (ratings hell for sports talk in Cleveburg)?

If any of you heard more of this show than I did and wouldn’t mind filling me in on more about it I’d appreciate it. I admittedly don’t have that station on very often, but I’ve rarely heard things so off topic there for so long at once. Could they actually be exploring the possibilities of being more creative, or was this just an aberration?

jawbreaker
    Participant

Aberration, Ray.

I’ve never seen a broadcast outlet who grants more obscure holidays to talent than WKRK in Cleveland Heights. That “Adam the Bull” guy is the worst for it. He flaunts being Jewish and then emphasizes taking every obscure Jewish holiday off. Then, when somebody says something about the Jewish religion he says “I haven’t been to Temple in like 20 years”.

Today was another one of those days. Martin Luther King Day is certainly valid and a noble holiday .. but .. as a broadcast personality … you don’t get these kind of days off. That’s just ridiculous. Especially so since the NBA plays the entire day (starting at noon) so it’s a pretty big sports day. The Christmas holidays were embarrassing there. Great gobs of time off for everybody .. AND THEN .. one week of normal work .. before they get another four day work week.

I bet I have worked 20 Christmas Eves and Christmas mornings in my career. New Year’s Eve .. July Fourth .. Labor Day .. Memorial Day. Every single one. Without fail. I raised four kids and I will never get that time back. But, it’s what you had to do because you were on the air and a personality. It was all part of the gig.

Well, not anymore.

I feel like a right wing talk show host with the “pussification of America” and these “snowflakes”. It’s just ridiculous and burns my ass. Weeks at a time off for Thanksgiving. You get Thursday. That’s what you get. And that’s if you are LUCKY. Three solid weeks off in the summer .. one after the other after the other .. people just basically disappear. Nobody is worse than Rizzo at WKNR. That guy is out of control with how much time he takes off. (He’s off this week too. And last week. And two weeks at Christmas. And the week of Thanksgiving. And makes a big thing of Easter and Lent and all of his Catholic holidays. Religion, it would seem, has morphed in to an excuse to miss work.) However, Rizzo is old and kind of deserves it. Like Johnny Carson when he got old. Dustin Fox is 30 something and has been a broadcaster all of about five years. This Adam the Bull guy .. he’s in his forties but .. he goes on and on .. EVERY .. SINGLE .. CHANCE .. he gets about growing up in Brooklyn and the New York Giants and the New York Yankees and the New York Mets and New Jersey and .. blah blah blah blah. That friggin’ guy. He touts big time that he is a Cubs fan .. and a Bengals fan. Just a troll. He’s just a loudmouth that couldn’t cut it in New York so he came to Cleveland to collect a paycheck. Sure doesn’t stop him from whining incessantly about it, though.

As to your point, Ray ..

The one girl .. her name is Meredith Kain .. she is truly awful. I mean like .. WKNR bad. Broadcasting school bad. She is a producer on Nick Wilson’s show in the evening (7-12 … speaking of which Nick Wilson couldn’t make it in from Lodi on Friday because of the snow .. awww .. isn’t that special .. set himself up for a nice four day weekend. This following his autumn schedule which had him on .. maybe .. one night a week because they had CBS football games on Monday and Thursday night and Browns weekly programming – coach’s show and Sunday preview and such – so he’s another one. At least he has some talent, though). Meredith Kain .. Nick Wilson hands over the microphone to her each night at 9 PM for this segment called “House of Kain” .. basically Nick Wilson is pissed off that he has to do five hours instead of four and looks for ways to get out of doing his job and lets this … junior high school mass media .. segment go on and on and on and on. She just doesn’t shut up. And she talks about nothing .. it has no redeeming quality whatsoever. It just comes off like some woman on the radio bitching about White People Problems for 18 minutes. Kain is not even good enough on the air to do the 20/20 updates .. there’s another guy who does that. Which brings us to your other point ..

Jonathan Peterlin ..

He’s just some half assed wannabe air personality. He produces “Baskin & Phelps” in midday. But .. MAN .. somebody needs to sit him down in a real serious room and tell him “Look, bud. God gave people voices they can make a living with. You did NOT get one. Don’t try it anymore.” He has this squeaky tone and this monotonous delivery. Makes you want to blow your friggin’ brains out. And for some reason .. when he hosts on the weekend .. he gets off on calling himself a “nerd” and the entire focus of the show is “let’s get nerdy”. NO.  LET’S NOT. It’s a sports station. Jocks hate nerds and have no respect for them. It’s just wrong. And he’s not really very bright about sports. He touts that he is from Chicago. This Chicago, that Chicago .. stuff he did in Chicago growing up. On and on. Then he talks about working at this station in New Mexico and he had to clean toilets when he worked at a station in Montana and another station and some other station. I guess he’s just a vagabond because people eventually say to him “You have the most terrible voice in the entire history of mankind for broadcast radio”. But, Baskin & Phelps feel sorry for him and they put him on the air for smaller segments. And whenever he is on, he hams it up to the absolute puking nines. (And begins every single sentence with “So .. ” like the kids do these days) It gets incredibly bad and I think to myself: “Baskin is gonna can your ass. The show is called: BASKIN & PHELPS .. you can’t act like that on somebody else’s show where THEIR personality is how they feed their children.” Peterlin professes this love for golf but .. I did a golf show on the air in the late eighties and early nineties and then founded my own golf magazine for Trogdon Publishing which I ran as Editor-in-Chief and I’m here to tell ya .. that guy don’t know shit about golf. He knows all of the stuff that is on the surface and has no clue why it happens or what it means. Says dumbass stuff that if you know golf has you saying out loud : “YOU FRIGGIN’ JACKASS!” I think he just chose golf because he plays putt-putt a lot (it’s a nerd thing) and nobody else will cover golf at WKRK. Trust me, it’s not good.

So, there ya go, Ray .., that’s the story of Meredith Kain and Jonathan Peterlin.

They were on the air because WKRK Cleveland Heights has a bunch of sissies in management and doesn’t know that personalities are no different than any other working person. You work on MLK Day. Just like every other damn person. Convenience store workers. Wal-Mart workers. McDonalds workers. No different. Because you’re on the radio doesn’t entitled you to be pampered and cow-towed to. It’s goddamn ridiculous and a sad state of affairs for broadcasting.

As for the on-air content .. I heard it. I know what you are talking about. And it was absolutely embarrassing. But with Peterlin .. the only thing he has to add to any sports conversation is:

“You’re next up on The Fan .. ”

.. as he introduces a caller.

And, couple with it .. the most egotistical people you will EVER meet in radio are the ones who have .. just a … little .. taste of fame. Just a tiny taste. OH, they are insufferable. So, Peterlin and Kain were quite sure that you, Ray, the listener was COMPLETELY enthralled with something that was incredibly important to them. They are both .. absolutely .. rampaging egomaniacs. They will go on and on and on and on about the stupidest shit that is important to THEM .. and it has nothing more to do with sports than a monkey fucking a football.

It’s pitiful.

And BAD radio.

JB

Ray
    Participant

WOW  JB……that was some answer!

Ok, first of all, I was not ENTHRALLED by what I heard of their show. In fact, I wasn’t really impressed at all. It was silly, and giggly…and had me wondering WHAT IS THE DEAL HERE?

Have you ever turned on a religious radio station (of course you haven’t, but I’m making a point here) and found some weak comedians that populated the airwaves back in the 1930’s or ’40’s doing their schtick?

Me neither. But it just caught me as much by surprise as if I had when I punched the sports radio station button and got a discussion about under anesthesia proclamations. I was caught off guard. And like I said the other day, it really did remind me of humorous instances that I had seen or been part of. So I truly could relate. That I was on the east side of THE GREAT DIVIDE of NE Ohio where snow just rains downs in copious amounts that seems Biblical at times and the driver in front of me was fish-tailing all over both lanes of a two-lane road and I felt it best to lay several lengths back of the amateur/inexperienced driver and keep both hands on the wheel so as to avert any situation he/she might’ve caused in front of me seemed prudent.  Some of what I heard was amusing. Great radio? No way. Sustainable for even one show? No chance. I was trying to keep my vehicle clear of any silliness by the one ahead of me on the road. And very uninclined of taking my hands off the wheel to change my radio station. Then when I got into the store to buy razors and toilet paper, they were out of the TP I wanted. Had to hit the Walmart. That’s like defecting to be a Russian for me. Read a history book if you don’t get it. (Problem is, who wrote that history?)

That being said, it was an unexpected thing that kinda hooked me because I’ve been there…experienced that. And I was on that station no matter what until the Keystone Kop got off the road.

The other stuff you had to say I respect because of your experience. Never worked in radio, or in television. But I have known a lot of people who have done all of those things. Especially newspaper guys. Your opinions that I’ve read here have really not been far off or are even the same as some of the older-timers I know  than even you. Hell, some of the complaints you voiced above I am STILL hearing from those in the business.

I was just curious if what I heard was some change of direction for that station.

You say it’s not?  I wouldn’t bet against your opinion.

Got it straight. Just fill-in fluff.

MediaFan85
    Participant

It looks like there might not be a lot of changes for The Fan.

The Bull and Fox are now #1 in their timeslot among listeners ages 25 to 54!

http://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/cleveland/923-the-fans-bull-fox-named-no-1-mid-market-afternoon-sports-talk-radio-show-in-the-country/95-513323238

https://twitter.com/vincethepolack/status/949378773924884480

jawbreaker
    Participant

Yeah, I saw that. I was kind of shocked.

What happened to Triv? Is he still on or did he lose it or are people just sick of him?

I think he did a lot better when he stayed out of politics. It’s like catnip to these guys .. makes them feel more important than what they are.

It also alienates 50% of your listener base .. way more in Cuyahoga county.

Dustin Fox is not .. terrible. He’s alright. He kinda stops and goes in to this really calm emotionless voice .. it’s very odd .. when things heat up. Bull is .. a New Yorker with a loud mouth and very limited knowledge on sports. He made quite an issue about Omar Vizquel not being a Hall of Famer.

Well, I’ve held Associated Press Sports credentials since March of 1987 … and I never saw a better shortstop in my entire friggin’ life. Period. End of statement. It’s not even CLOSE.

Jackass.

When he says stuff like that .. I just say out loud, “Go back to New York .. ya freakin’ loudmouth bastard.”

When you are from Cleveland .. you can only take so much until it boils over.

Ray
    Participant

JB….I have seldom listened to Trivissono in the past year. His politics and preaching are the main reason.

92.3 getting that high of a rating is confusing to me. Who is the person grading that show? Dustin Fox is vanilla ice cream. White bread. Nothing I would ever order, not a preference. And the Bull is grating. New Yorkers need to stay in New York, or Jersey. I have never met and dealt with one that didn’t think I was some hillbilly buttwipe because I was from here. They know it all, and we’re all morons.

Some of the Youngstown and Salem area stations occasionally play decent music sets in early afternoon drive-time. And there’s always Bob Golic on WNIR. LMAO. At least he can speak from experience of what it was like to play for a good Browns team. But if all else fails, there’s always Judge Judy. She respects no one. Much like Trump. I’m tellin’ ya, vinyl and a turntable are terrific things to have.

jawbreaker
    Participant

” .. vinyl and a turntable are terrific things to have .. “

Here ya go, Ray ..

Best new band I have heard in 35 years. Three brothers from just north of Detroit and their buddy playing drums.

They’re just kids.

I almost found a water bong and a blonde sophomore when I heard this ..

Just came out a couple months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

Full album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jdy_8A4pWk

David
    Participant

Yeah, I saw that. I was kind of shocked.

What happened to Triv? Is he still on or did he lose it or are people just sick of him?

I think he did a lot better when he stayed out of politics. It’s like catnip to these guys .. makes them feel more important than what they are.

It also alienates 50% of your listener base .. way more in Cuyahoga county.

Dustin Fox is not .. terrible. He’s alright. He kinda stops and goes in to this really calm emotionless voice .. it’s very odd .. when things heat up. Bull is .. a New Yorker with a loud mouth and very limited knowledge on sports. He made quite an issue about Omar Vizquel not being a Hall of Famer.

Well, I’ve held Associated Press Sports credentials since March of 1987 … and I never saw a better shortstop in my entire friggin’ life. Period. End of statement. It’s not even CLOSE.

Jackass.

When he says stuff like that .. I just say out loud, “Go back to New York .. ya freakin’ loudmouth bastard.”

When you are from Cleveland .. you can only take so much until it boils over.

The Bull is about as Cleveland as Goldhammer and Brian Windhorst.

jawbreaker
    Participant

Windhorst graduated St.Vincent-St.Mary in Akron and went to college at Kent State.

So, he’s pretty .. Northeast Ohio .. which means Cleveland for professional sports.

The other two are just not good enough to make it in their hometowns. So, like many, many .. MANY .. pro athletes through the years .. they take the premier talent money in Cleveland despite the fact they are second rate.

Cleveland is always happy to pay out-of-towners max dollars just for the privilege of breathing the same air as these talented individuals.

Our self worth and inferiority complex is truly that low.

Ray
    Participant

I almost found a water bong and blonde sophomore when I heard this..”

Those kids were written up twice that I know of in Rolling Stone. Last fall as one of 10 bands you need to know, and then again a short feature just a few weeks ago. Good to see kids appreciate the same stuff us old-timers did.

Ray
    Participant

Forgot to add…..water bongs and teenage hotties were not legal or acceptable forms of entertainment in my day. At least our teachers and parents told us so.

But nobody listened at my school. Have kids ever listened?

And the kid from Mich. sounds a lot like Robert Plant. Although I think he has more range and can cover more than just that style. Plus the boys can stick the riffs behind him.

They’ll go far. They went back to the future and re-discovered what was good.

mightyvoice
    Participant

While I really don’t care much for many of the personalities on 92.3, I do have to commend them for carrying the torch of live/local sports talk.  Whether its a holiday, weekend, or late at night during the week: they consistently have somebody on the air talking sports.  In 2018 it is exceedingly rare to be able to find an actual live/local person on the air, regardless of format, so I definitely appreciate The Fan for at least providing that.   I remember a few years ago when KNR had Roda/Reghi on the air M-F from 9pm til midnight on that dinky little 5,000 watt nighttime signal.  Yeah it was cool for sports fans to have those guys on the air, but from a financial stand-point that didn’t last long, haha

I think the criticism of Meredith Kain is unfair, I think she does an okay job with Nick Wilson late at night (who himself I would also describe as just “okay”).  She is obviously young and inexperienced, but I’ve heard much worse and hopefully somebody is working with her behind the scenes to help her develop.  I’ll admit it is bizarre to have regular personalities off on MLK Day and its probably unwise to give her such a prominent role on that holiday show during what is an otherwise highly rated day-part.  She is certainly not ready for prime-time, errrrr, afternoon drive-time.  And as far as late-nights on The Fan go, I do really miss Ken Carman in that spot with Kenny Kidd as his producer.  In my opinion Ken is by far the most talented guy at that station, so it was only a matter of time before he got bumped up, but man, he was perfect in the after dark time-slot.

It does surprise me that Bull and Fox are so highly rated, I agree 100% with Ray’s assessment of them.  Dustin is a  good guy, so I’m happy that he is doing well, but to me that show is just kinda “there”, audio wallpaper.  Pretty sure I’ll get flamed for this, but I actually prefer listening to Emmett and Jerod over on KNR, or to Hammer when he does his 5p-6p show with Windhorst or Grossi.  While the Emmett/Jerod combo has its flaws, they’ve got obvious chemistry together and actually have me laughing out loud in my car quite a bit.  And for all Hammer’s flaws, he does a good job in that 5p-6p slot, he keeps the show moving and lets Windy/Grossi give their insight/opinions on stuff.

wixy1260fan
    Participant

And as far as late-nights on The Fan go, I do really miss Ken Carman in that spot with Kenny Kidd as his producer. In my opinion Ken is by far the most talented guy at that station, so it was only a matter of time before he got bumped up, but man, he was perfect in the after dark time-slot. stuff.

Ken was terrific at night, very laid back style and was perfect with his kinda hillbilly/homer character.  Not sure it translates to fast-paced mornings though – he’s a bit too long-winded and doesn’t always really make sense. I think he and Lima do a really good job of keeping the boring Browns interesting, in fact I don’t think Lima gets nearly enough credit for counter balancing Ken’s over the top homerism. I’ve seen Lima on 19 and he is really good TV guy who also I think carries the show with his sense of humor and realistic opinions. Both are extremely talented and will probably get their own shows at some point down the road

mightyvoice
    Participant

Another thing I’ll give Ken some props for is that most weekends he’ll do the CBS national show on Sunday nights until 2am, and then is back on the air Monday morning at 6am.  No clue what his regular sleep schedule is, but I’m assuming he just sticks around the station and takes a quick nap in-between.  That’s some damn hustle right there.

jawbreaker
    Participant

Another thing I’ll give Ken some props for is that most weekends he’ll do the CBS national show on Sunday nights until 2am, and then is back on the air Monday morning at 6am. No clue what his regular sleep schedule is, but I’m assuming he just sticks around the station and takes a quick nap in-between. That’s some damn hustle right there.

I have noticed that exact thing, mightyvoice. I have a ritual where I do prep work for my Monday show every single Sunday night .. and I listen to Ken Carman on the national CBS feed as part of that ritual. He’s a little different there, isn’t he? I get to hear so little of him on WKRK because of his morning slot. But I certainly do enjoy him on CBS Sports Radio nationwide.
    Back during the football season, WKRK carries the Sunday night NFL game so I had to go looking for him on Tune-In. I eventually settled on some station out of Oklahoma that I listened to each week. Well, *I* didn’t … Alexa did. I said “Alexa, play CBS Sports Radio” and she gives me some far flung outlet I never heard of. I don’t care .. it’s Ken Carman and that was my goal.
    But, mightyvoice, could you imagine Tony Rizzo doing that work schedule? HAHAHA!
    “Thirty Years Grinding, bro. I did 17 times that effort back in the day”.
    Uh-huh.
    Ken Carman’s dad didn’t get him his first job. He actually had to be talented and go take it.
    Rizzo would never understand that work ethic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php