93.5 W228EL

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

1590 WAKR now has their translator running on 93.5.  It’s 250 watts and gets out rather well, but it is directional with all the power going west and north.

Participant

Good for WAKR….happy for them to get an FM.

Wonder if WTIG 93.5 is on yet?

Participant

Do you have a link to the FCC website coverage map of this station?

It is not yet on radio-locator.com.

Participant

Do you have a link to the FCC website coverage map of this station?

It is not yet on radio-locator.com.

FCCData.org has it, along with all sorts of records and technical data for it and other stations (including those that haven’t signed on just yet).

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=202752&appid=1794313&i=2

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

I’m glad WAKR now is on FM.  I’ve forgotten how to turn my radio to AM anymore.  So apparently a much weaker FM signal is nicer than their 5000 watt AM signal which covers Akron better.  By the way, since I can’t remember how to turn the radio to AM anymore, and I’m a crazy right-winger, I am curious when WHLO intends to be up and running with their FM transmitter on 103.7.  Does anyone have special insight with regards to this?

Participant

Thanks, Nathan.

Anybody know the rules on how often legal IDs have to be given for translators? Is it the same as over the air…once an hour?

Hey, the pattern/coverage misses a lot of the east/south east side of the city of Akron/suburbs & far south suburbs, but that’s likely protection for 93.5 coming in Massillon & other regular FMs.

But, as CrazyMonkey said, any type of FM is better for an AM than no FM. And, the areas the FM misses the AM has a decent signal, and frankly, much of the FM’s missed area isn’t a growth area.

People I know, ahem! LOL …..suggested they apply for an FM translator years ago, glad they got it.

p.s.: Just my 2-cents worth: I am way, way, way beyond sick of partisan talk topics. What ANY politician says & how they actually vote are generally 180-degrees a part. Sick of the political BS in media…nothing really ever changes any way, for 99% of us. Real world, guys. Find other topics on talk radio, please!

Participant

Thanks, Nathan.

Anybody know the rules on how often legal IDs have to be given for translators? Is it the same as over the air…once an hour?

My understanding is that translator IDs have to be read at least three times a day. WOBL and WDLW typically do theirs at 7am, noon and 5pm (eg, “WDLW and W255CW, Lorain”).

p.s.: Just my 2-cents worth: I am way, way, way beyond sick of partisan talk topics. What ANY politician says & how they actually vote are generally 180-degrees a part. Sick of the political BS in media…nothing really ever changes any way, for 99% of us. Real world, guys. Find other topics on talk radio, please!

There’s a reason why talk radio stations in major markets have given up and broker out their entire weekends (along with WHK locally). It’s because they just can’t sell the format.

Most listeners would be in concurrence, if there’s nothing of value to listen to, they won’t bother to seek you out or ignore you entirely.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Keymaster

Thanks, Nathan. Anybody know the rules on how often legal IDs have to be given for translators? Is it the same as over the air…once an hour?

My understanding is that translator IDs have to be read at least three times a day. WOBL and WDLW typically do theirs at 7am, noon and 5pm (eg, “WDLW and W255CW, Lorain”).

That’s only if you identify the translator aurally. (The exact rule there is three times daily, once each between 7-9 AM, 12:55-1:05 PM and 5-7 PM.)

Most translators these days, however, use inaudible FSK morse code IDs, which are also permissible. Those are supposed to be keyed hourly.

I strongly urge my clients to use the FSK IDs. “W298CH” or whatever the translator call is means absolutely nothing to the listener. It’s just aural clutter that can and should be avoided. If your listener knows you as “WDLW” or “WAKR,” keep it that way. Whether they’re hearing you at 1590 AM or 93.5 FM or on a stream isn’t really relevant.

Participant

By the way, this translator now shows “W228EL” in the scrolling text of RDS.

The coverage area can now be viewed on Radio-Locator.

WAKR does a really good job with local content, but there’s a lot of sports.  I am not a sports guy, so I find a lot of the talk to be uninteresting.  But their news is good.  Whoever got the translator up and running did a great job.

Participant

I don’t think it is a big deal to mention the translator calls three times a day.  Hey….for that matter CALL LETTERS are meaningless on many stations!   (The Lake, Q104, Z-107.9, etc).

Participant

In my regular drives around the greater Akron area, it’s fun to hear the rather decent coverage of WAKR’s new FM translator, 93.5.

Am sure being in mono helps a bit as well.

While not covering 100% of the Akron metro, the FM does cover enough of the city & close in suburbs to be a boost for the AM.

FM translators have helped many AMs….WBTC in Uhrichsville & WJER in Dover, Ohio come to mind.

Anybody know when Massillon’s WTIG FM will go on the air? (also on 93.5, but with much less power).

Happy for these & other long-standing AMs for getting a boost with an FM signal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php