94.3 FM Translator Moving From Westchester to Alpine NJ?

RI Community Forums Northeast New York / Long Island 94.3 FM Translator Moving From Westchester to Alpine NJ?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of oz oz 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

The FCC recently approved an application to move the translator currently rebroadcasting WPLJ HD2 (carrying AC format “FAS FM”), from the White Plains area to Alpine NJ. It would rebroadcast WNSH HD4, which carries the religious station known as The Bridge.

But it is not clear whether this change will actually happen, even though it has been approved. About 3 years ago, an application to move the translator back to Pomona was approved, but never implemented.

Signal Map: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101751406&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=5

Profile photo of Bruce
    Bruce
    Participant

@barry – check out http://www.bridgeradio.org/listen/on-the-radio/ which shows that the translator at 103.1 Fm would reach Bergen County.  Thus it would not make sense to move 94.3 FM from Westchester to Alpine.  There is a translator for the Bridge at 95.1 FM which is licensed to Ft. Greene, Brooklyn, but transmits from the East Side of Manhattan.  I live in Flushing, Queens and pick up a Spanish pirate at 95.1 FM.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Comparing the signal maps, it does appear that if the Westchester translator on 94. 3 were to actually be moved to Alpine, it would provide considerably wider coverage than the one that The Bridge currently uses on 103.1 FM . So it seems possible that the latter could then be used to retransmit a different station.

But as I mentioned in my original post, it seems quite possible that this move may not actually occur.

Profile photo of Towerclimber31
    Towerclimber31
    Participant

Well some move has to happen.  It can’t stay there.  Aside from the fact the lease for 94.3 is expiring soon, the only thing running around Secor Road these days are the rats (4-legged) and the deer.  The building is empty and the property will be sold to a non-radio entity.  The tower will have to go, so the translator will have to go.  Wherever it moves, it won’t be 250 watts given the plethora of 94.3 frequencies out there.

So in other words, this 94.3 translator goes back to being irrelevant.  Oh wait, it already is.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

If it is true the tower near White Plains may come down, I wonder whether Cumulus would build a new one for WFAS 1230 AM or just let it go dark.

Though it has a decent signal in much of Westchester and Rockland, in recent years it has only been used to carry CBS Sports Radio full time. WFAS AM offers no local programming. Perhaps an ethnic or religious broadcaster may be interested in buying the license?

Profile photo of Towerclimber31
    Towerclimber31
    Participant

IMO it is highly unlikely that any radio entity would build a new tower in Westchester.  The high cost of real estate and the NIMBY’s would drive any sane person away.  Besides, the existing tower is in the best possible location.  It doesn’t get any better.  If you don’t want that, you don’t want to be here anymore.

You could just plop an antenna on top of a tall building.  WFAS AM only exists now so CBS can tell its advertisers it has a NYC signal.  It doesn’t matter if the signal only comes in 1 block into the Bronx.  What’s one more prevarication among friends.

Profile photo of oz
    oz
    Participant

I Hope it moves to NJ… WWSK can once again be heard again Rye-Bridgeport on I-95! yes you heard that right I used to get WWSK up and down on I-95 until WFAS signed on. with WFAS it interferes all the way thru until WYBC interferes starting in Bridgeport/Stratford area. According to the FCC with as many complaints as I did the interference was WYBC in the Stamford area… let me tell you from this die hard rocker… all the intereference is FAS. Hoping this change will come soon and WWSK can rock SW Connecticut again! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar