97.5 WONE Akron and the Monday Morning Announcement

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

I was listening at work and heard something about Monday morning, but didn’t think anything of it. I checked Facebook when I got home and saw a post with a myriad of comments ranging from speculation about a format change or station outright closure to the Buzzard moving down there to people retiring, and I’m just wondering if anyone has an inkling of what could be coming.

Surely, if it was a format change, Lance would have leaked it and it’d be all over here. Maybe it’s just another contest, like that whole “KISS-FM is taking over another station in Cleveland” promotion from many moons ago (after the 96.5 switch) that had us thinking Q104 was on the chopping block when, in reality, they took over a Shell station for an hour and sold gas for 96.5c/gallon.

Participant

WONE has always been a solid performer for Rubber City Radio, why mess what isn’t broke?

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

Very likely a promotion.

As a person who worked in radio for 40+ years….believe me: you never knew about ownership or format changes until the very last second. No station would ever let that info be known publically in advance. Always a very tight secret even most of the stations employees didn’t know.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  tim131.

Participant

The buzz at WONE has become so big, it’s made both the Beacon Journal and WKYC Channel 3.

Maybe they’re changing to WTWO!  😉

Participant

The buzz at WONE has become so big, it’s made both the Beacon Journal and WKYC Channel 3.

Maybe they’re changing to WTWO!

“The Two for Rock and Roll”

Doesn’t quite roll of the tongue.

I’d be shocked if the announcement was about anything BUT the Peter Frampton “Farewell” Tour concert this summer at Blossom.

Participant

That might be possible.  The voice heard saying “It’s been fun” might be Frampton in the promo.

Participant

Maybe they’re changing to WTWO! 😉

Like onetime sister WTUE/Dayton? (it being the AM counterpart to WONE 980)

Participant

They’ve been successful in creating a lot of buzz. That’s smart…good for them.

Participant

I guess one of the cardinal rules of marketing is there is no such thing as bad publicity, but to me in 2019 these old school radio station stunts come across as pretty lame.  WKYC has been referring to WONE as the “legendary” radio station…..maybe i’m missing something but does WONE really have that kind of storied history??

Participant

I guess one of the cardinal rules of marketing is there is no such thing as bad publicity, but to me in 2019 these old school radio station stunts come across as pretty lame. WKYC has been referring to WONE as the “legendary” radio station…..maybe i’m missing something but does WONE really have that kind of storied history??

In Akron, yes.

Kind of like a smaller scale version of the WNCX legacy in Cleveland.

Same basic classic rock format since the 80s, same kind of appeal with the “mullet” demographic.

Participant

They’ve been successful in creating a lot of buzz. That’s smart…good for them.

Tried and true radio marketing…shows it still works.

Participant

My guess is the “farewell” teaser they have been throwing out is related to all of the farewell tours this year – Peter Frampton, KISS, etc.  It is probably just some kind of ticket giveaway to one or all of these concerts.

Participant

In Akron, yes.

Kind of like a smaller scale version of the WNCX legacy in Cleveland.

Same basic classic rock format since the 80s, same kind of appeal with the “mullet” demographic.

WONE’s been in the rock business longer than WNCX (35 years compared to 32 on 98.5) and even WRQK down I-77.

It has bounced around between active rock and classic rock over the years but the consistency has long remained and is a trademark.

Participant

Interesting.  Having lived in Cleveland my whole life I had always viewed WONE as a kind of generic version of WNCX.  Maybe people in Akron would hold that view in reverse, lol.  I think that the farewell concert theory is likely accurate.

The stunt still comes across as lame to me, I’m sure the morning zoo will have a good laugh about it “oh, what, folks thought the station was going away?? that’s crazy!!”  But I can’t deny it has created buzz……then again Hammer eating poop on the air also created  buzz, so I guess you have to tip your cap to smart marketing.

Participant

At least WONE is still DOING creative marketing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php