97.5 WONE Akron and the Monday Morning Announcement

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

Could they just be tweaking the format? Listening to WONE lately and it seems that almost 70% of the music I hear is what’s also being played on WMJI. So since WMJI bills themselves oldies……..ooops, “Classic Hits” and WONE bills themselves as “Classic Rock” could they just say “the hell with it, lets call ourselves a “Classic Hits” station.

Participant

Interesting. Having lived in Cleveland my whole life I had always viewed WONE as a kind of generic version of WNCX. Maybe people in Akron would hold that view in reverse, lol. I think that the farewell concert theory is likely accurate.

The stunt still comes across as lame to me, I’m sure the morning zoo will have a good laugh about it “oh, what, folks thought the station was going away?? that’s crazy!!” But I can’t deny it has created buzz……then again Hammer eating poop on the air also created buzz, so I guess you have to tip your cap to smart marketing.

The “buzz” about Aaron Goldhammer’s on-air poop-eating humiliation didn’t translate into anything (okay, maybe it resulted in bountiful schadenfreude with people overjoyed at seeing Aaron embarrassed that way, but that doesn’t equal a ratings increase). The Fan practically dominates WKNR in every way possible, and 92.3 doesn’t do desperate stunts like that.

People are reading wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much into this WONE promotion, whatever it is.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

The “buzz” about Aaron Goldhammer’s on-air poop-eating humiliation didn’t translate into anything (okay, maybe it resulted in bountiful schadenfreude with people overjoyed at seeing Aaron embarrassed that way, but that doesn’t equal a ratings increase). The Fan practically dominates WKNR in every way possible, and 92.3 doesn’t do desperate stunts like that. People are reading wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much into this WONE promotion, whatever it is.

So I guess we have to wait to see if this stunt results in any kind of ratings uptick for WONE before it gets declared a success then.  And I don’t think anyone is reading too much into it.  This discussion is a nice change of pace from the typical stuff I’ve seen on the board lately.  And besides it isn’t everyday that a radio station promo makes its way onto local news.  Either way just about 12 hours til we get the dramatic conclusion….I know I’m on the edge of my seat, lol.

Participant

The announcement, to paraphrase, mentions “after playing tens of thousands of songs… it’s time to say goodbye,” but none of the on-air staff are mentioning any changes, and there are future endorsements that are still being discussed, so maybe it’s nothing more than a publicity stunt? The fact that it made it to Facebook with a cryptic “you know as much as we do, find out Monday at 7am” post is a bit confusing, but this isn’t 2001 and flipping Jammin Oldies 92.3 The Beat to alt-rock 92.3 Xtreme Radio and shocking everyone, or the highly-publicized 7-station frequency swap from back in 2001 (also?) when Kiss 104.9 became 96.5 Kiss-FM, WKDD moved down to 98.1, and who knows what else moved that night, but I do remember the highly-amusing “In case you were wondering, WKDD Akron has moved. The new number is 98.1” that plagued the new Kiss-FM hourly bumpers for MONTHS after the switch.

Whatever the outcome is, I’m really curious to find out what’ll happen.

Participant

Congrats everyone for making a big deal about nothing.

Participant

They got you guys to pay attention. 😂 Good for them.

I forgot all about it until I checked in on this board a few minutes ago.

Most radio listening for me is so far in my life’s rear view mirror I’m glad RI exists so I can catch up here every once in a while.

Participant

Brilliant! Classic! LOL!  Everything old is new again…boy, did people get taken in! And a lot of them are really ticked off. But it got WONE TV coverage and plenty of buzz.  “Farewell” being tix for KISS’ Farewell Concert tour.

I recall when I was a kid a Cleveland station…maybe it was WIXY…did the same type of thing, promoting “WIXY 1260 will become a thing of the past!”  Man, me and my teenage friends were beside ourselves, convinced the station was changing format or something. Turns out, they were promoting a “million dollar weekend” of playing older tunes!

Still works. Kudos to whoever at WONE remembered or was told about this venerable promotion. But you can’t pull it again for another 50 years!

Participant

Right idea, wrong concert.

I thought it was for Frampton, but instead it was for KISS.

Point still stands though.

Participant

The buzz at WONE has become so big, it’s made both the Beacon Journal and WKYC Channel 3.

It would be interesting to know how they got suckered into this.  Could it have been an ad buy on the part of the radio station, masquerading as a news story?  In the paper, wouldn’t they have to put the word “advertisement” ahead of the copy?  What about the TV station?  Would it be legal for a radio station to buy ad time on a TV station and the actual ad being … well let’s just say it … a fake news story about the buyer?  I would think that the risk/reward might be big in the area of the TV potentially losing credibility if word got out.

Hammer eating poop on the air also created buzz.

Did this supposedly actually occur?  How could anyone listening be sure? IT’S RADIO, unless it was video streamed on-line simultaneously.  Even with that, unless you’re in the studio to, let’s say, smell it to prove its authenticity, it could be just tasty chocolate pudding.  When did this supposedly happen?

Back in the early 1970s, one of the WERE AM1300 hosts was claiming that he was doing his radio talk show in the nude.  It was funny listening to callers calling up, complaining about him being naked.  Once again, IT’S RADIO, and there was no video streaming back then.

Participant

The fact that they actually played it up as a heartfelt goodbye, had an entire format switch b-roll ready to go, and then just said it was for concert tickets was some top-notch marketing on their part. My hat’s off to them!

One thing I would’ve done differently was actually play into a format change and just play a bunch of songs with “Kiss” in the title, or maybe parroted the WAKS/WKDD “in case you were wondering…” robotic voiced teaser thing and, after about an hour, do a record scratch and then announce that it’s simply for concert tickets. Although, that might have been more welcome in a few weeks than it would have been today. 😉

Participant

Back in the early 1970s, one of the WERE AM1300 hosts was claiming that he was doing his radio talk show in the nude. It was funny listening to callers calling up, complaining about him being naked. Once again, IT’S RADIO, and there was no video streaming back then.

That was Howie Lund.  I believe one of the TV stations or newspapers went there to cover it.  They showed him with a book or something covering his private parts.

Participant

The buzz at WONE has become so big, it’s made both the Beacon Journal and WKYC Channel 3.

It would be interesting to know how they got suckered into this. Could it have been an ad buy on the part of the radio station, masquerading as a news story? In the paper, wouldn’t they have to put the word “advertisement” ahead of the copy? What about the TV station? Would it be legal for a radio station to buy ad time on a TV station and the actual ad being … well let’s just say it … a fake news story about the buyer? I would think that the risk/reward might be big in the area of the TV potentially losing credibility if word got out.

Hammer eating poop on the air also created buzz.

Did this supposedly actually occur? How could anyone listening be sure? IT’S RADIO, unless it was video streamed on-line simultaneously. Even with that, unless you’re in the studio to, let’s say, smell it to prove its authenticity, it could be just tasty chocolate pudding. When did this supposedly happen?

Back in the early 1970s, one of the WERE AM1300 hosts was claiming that he was doing his radio talk show in the nude. It was funny listening to callers calling up, complaining about him being naked. Once again, IT’S RADIO, and there was no video streaming back then.

Yes, the Hammer fecal feast did occur.

It was shown on WKNR’s pay streaming service “The Land on Demand”.

This happened last year, as Hammer had declared he’d eat horse doo-doo if the Browns drafted Baker Mayfield with the #1 pick, and sure enough…

Participant

Yes, the Hammer fecal feast did occur.

It was shown on WKNR’s pay streaming service “The Land on Demand”.

This happened last year, as Hammer had declared he’d eat horse doo-doo if the Browns drafted Baker Mayfield with the #1 pick, and sure enough…

Funny thing is, Tony Grossi also made an equally outlandish threat if Baker was actually taken in the draft… he threatened to retire. (And his failure to do so made for some amusing press conferences where Baker openly mocked Grossi for his non-retirement.)

But think about that. You had to pay $8.50** to see the payoff of Aaron Goldhammer eating poop. That’s not a marketing ploy. That’s abject desperation from a station that got left in the dust by its FM competition.

**Said monthly fee also covers podcasts to shows on WKNR you would never think of listening to if your life depended on it, which is pretty much their entire local lineup at this point.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php