"Air-One" and "K-Love" markets

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Christian Music

• Participant

In my area, we have two or three EMF stations running “Air-One”.  I can pick up no “K-Love” affiliates.  How does EMF distribute their formats in markets?  Does a market get either “Air-One” or “K-Love”, or can you find both in a market?

Could it be that once they get enough stations to cover the area they want to serve with, let’ say, “Air-One”, then they might move on to build or buy stations for the “K-Love” format?

Or, do they determine which one will work best in a certain geographic area, and go with that.

Participant

Or, do they determine which one will work best in a certain geographic area, and go with that.

EMF is very good about doing research before making moves–especially if they involve station purchases.  Usually, EMF will start with K-Love (as it’s the more-established and broader-appeal format)–but would certainly add Air-1, if an appropriate opportunity were to present itself.

If you’re in an area with strong Air-1 coverage, but little or nothing from K-Love, it’s likely because there’s already a strong Christian AC outlet locally (either commercial or non-commercial).  If you’re in either the Metroplex or the Houston area, there’s also the issue of K-Love (or something similar) being trademarked by a different operator; however, as the recent situation in L.A. showed, that can be overcome.

Something else that theoretically might be the case is that the format choice could be the result of a local owner, as EMF has had a handful of affiliated (but not owned) outlets.  That said, I’m not sure if there’ve been any actual cases where that itself resulted in an area being served by Air-1 before K-Love.

Participant

Thank you, Mr. Magnuson.  You may have hit on it.  We have a Salem “Fish” station on FM in the market.  With “Air-1” being more CHR and a bit Rock based (at least that’s how I see it), I’m assuming that “K-Love” is more Adult Contemporary (Am I right?).  The Salem “Fish” station (imho) straddles the line between AC and CHR.

Participant

Yes, K-Love is definitely more Christian AC (and, therefore, closer to Salem’s Fish outlets)–while Air-1 has traditionally been somewhat more CHR or even Rock-based.  However, the difference between the two now may not be as big as it once was.  (For comparison, Way-FM may be even more CHR.)

Participant

Thank you, Mr. Magnuson. You may have hit on it. We have a Salem “Fish” station on FM in the market. With “Air-1” being more CHR and a bit Rock based (at least that’s how I see it), I’m assuming that “K-Love” is more Adult Contemporary (Am I right?). The Salem “Fish” station (imho) straddles the line between AC and CHR.

That market you describe sounds like Cleveland.  The closest K-Love to Cleveland I’ve picked up  is in Youngstown/Sharon.  K-Love is big in PA, I drove from Johnstown to Cleveland with various K-Love stations along the way until I got into Ohio.

Participant
    That market you describe sounds like Cleveland. The closest K-Love to Cleveland I’ve picked up is in Youngstown/Sharon. K-Love is big in PA, I drove from Johnstown to Cleveland with various K-Love stations along the way until I got into Ohio.

This might be a bit on the presumptuous side, but–even though their terrestrial signals probably don’t make it into Northeast Ohio–there are some good CHR- or Rock-leaning CCM outlets nearby.  Columbus still has the locally based Radio-U (WUFM), which does have some translators elsewhere in the state–while there’s Yes-FM (WYSZ et al.) covering the Northwest, including Toledo and Lima.

Home

Home

Meanwhile, the Wikipedia page for Lower Michigan’s Smile-FM suggests that there’s now an outlet in Republic: the weak (but technically still full-power) WYOR 88.5.  That network is a very good example of regional (instead of either local or national) Christian AC.

http://www.smile.fm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php