"Air-One" and "K-Love" markets

RadioInsight Community Forums Music Formats Christian Music "Air-One" and "K-Love" markets

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Jon Magnuson 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John Basalla

In my area, we have two or three EMF stations running “Air-One”.  I can pick up no “K-Love” affiliates.  How does EMF distribute their formats in markets?  Does a market get either “Air-One” or “K-Love”, or can you find both in a market?

Could it be that once they get enough stations to cover the area they want to serve with, let’ say, “Air-One”, then they might move on to build or buy stations for the “K-Love” format?

Or, do they determine which one will work best in a certain geographic area, and go with that.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

Or, do they determine which one will work best in a certain geographic area, and go with that.

EMF is very good about doing research before making moves–especially if they involve station purchases.  Usually, EMF will start with K-Love (as it’s the more-established and broader-appeal format)–but would certainly add Air-1, if an appropriate opportunity were to present itself.

If you’re in an area with strong Air-1 coverage, but little or nothing from K-Love, it’s likely because there’s already a strong Christian AC outlet locally (either commercial or non-commercial).  If you’re in either the Metroplex or the Houston area, there’s also the issue of K-Love (or something similar) being trademarked by a different operator; however, as the recent situation in L.A. showed, that can be overcome.

Something else that theoretically might be the case is that the format choice could be the result of a local owner, as EMF has had a handful of affiliated (but not owned) outlets.  That said, I’m not sure if there’ve been any actual cases where that itself resulted in an area being served by Air-1 before K-Love.

John Basalla

Thank you, Mr. Magnuson.  You may have hit on it.  We have a Salem “Fish” station on FM in the market.  With “Air-1” being more CHR and a bit Rock based (at least that’s how I see it), I’m assuming that “K-Love” is more Adult Contemporary (Am I right?).  The Salem “Fish” station (imho) straddles the line between AC and CHR.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

Yes, K-Love is definitely more Christian AC (and, therefore, closer to Salem’s Fish outlets)–while Air-1 has traditionally been somewhat more CHR or even Rock-based.  However, the difference between the two now may not be as big as it once was.  (For comparison, Way-FM may be even more CHR.)

michael p

Thank you, Mr. Magnuson. You may have hit on it. We have a Salem “Fish” station on FM in the market. With “Air-1” being more CHR and a bit Rock based (at least that’s how I see it), I’m assuming that “K-Love” is more Adult Contemporary (Am I right?). The Salem “Fish” station (imho) straddles the line between AC and CHR.

That market you describe sounds like Cleveland.  The closest K-Love to Cleveland I’ve picked up  is in Youngstown/Sharon.  K-Love is big in PA, I drove from Johnstown to Cleveland with various K-Love stations along the way until I got into Ohio.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  michael p.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant
    That market you describe sounds like Cleveland. The closest K-Love to Cleveland I’ve picked up is in Youngstown/Sharon. K-Love is big in PA, I drove from Johnstown to Cleveland with various K-Love stations along the way until I got into Ohio.

This might be a bit on the presumptuous side, but–even though their terrestrial signals probably don’t make it into Northeast Ohio–there are some good CHR- or Rock-leaning CCM outlets nearby.  Columbus still has the locally based Radio-U (WUFM), which does have some translators elsewhere in the state–while there’s Yes-FM (WYSZ et al.) covering the Northwest, including Toledo and Lima.

Home

http://yeshome.com

Meanwhile, the Wikipedia page for Lower Michigan’s Smile-FM suggests that there’s now an outlet in Republic: the weak (but technically still full-power) WYOR 88.5.  That network is a very good example of regional (instead of either local or national) Christian AC.

http://www.smile.fm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php