America's Best Music/Great Songs & Great Memories

RadioInsight Community Forums Music Formats AC/Soft AC America's Best Music/Great Songs & Great Memories

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

EZway2go
    Participant

What’s the story with the Adult Standards format that started out as Your Original Hits in the early ’90s? First it was Westwood One, then sold to Dial Global. The Dial Global website now comes up as Westwood One again.

I knew Chick Watkins had retired a couple years ago, but was that a forced retirement? Jeff Rollins is still there, and besides Carl Hampton in the afternoons, I don’t recognize any of the other hosts. Whatever happened to Ed Brand? Nick Gerard? Joe Daniels? Bill Jones? Rick Garza? Lou Simon? Some of those names go back a few years, so they’ve been gone for awhile. As for the new guys, you used to be able to read a short profile of the hosts on the website, now that’s gone too.

Like everything else — all cost-cutting moves, I guess? They’re probably losing affiliates right and left, aren’t they? It’s a shame — it’s a nice format for the workplace.

rjoc
    Participant

What’s the story with the Adult Standards format that started out as Your Original Hits in the early ’90s? First it was Westwood One, then sold to Dial Global. The Dial Global website now comes up as Westwood One again.
    I knew Chick Watkins had retired a couple years ago, but was that a forced retirement? Jeff Rollins is still there, and besides Carl Hampton in the afternoons, I don’t recognize any of the other hosts. Whatever happened to Ed Brand? Nick Gerard? Joe Daniels? Bill Jones? Rick Garza? Lou Simon? Some of those names go back a few years, so they’ve been gone for awhile. As for the new guys, you used to be able to read a short profile of the hosts on the website, now that’s gone too.
    Like everything else — all cost-cutting moves, I guess? They’re probably losing affiliates right and left, aren’t they? It’s a shame — it’s a nice format for the workplace.

They are still on my local AM WDEA 1370 Ellsworth, Maine; sounds great too, just right variety of music, and I especially like Carl Hampton in the afternoons. Only wish they were on an FM station here. WDEA’s nighttime signal is beamed away from me, and they are frequently covered by WFEA 1370 out of Manchester NH; also with the same service.
    I did hear the format last winter in Florida in stereo on a Fort Pierce FM station, and was amazed at the excellent sound quality.

JeremyAndrews
    Participant

Under it’s current setup, it’s the only Standards network remaining (the formers being ABC Stardust/ABC Memories, and Jones Standards which merged when Dial Global bought out Jones) Music Of Your Life is the other.

Yes, it was originally Westwood One Adult Standards (at least as far back as I can remember it) It was called “Westwood One AM Only” as it was targeted toward AM stations, however it branched to FM.

Dial Global bought Westwood One’s 24/7 Networks. Then Dial Global bought out Jones. Then Dial Global bought Waitt Radio Networks, then Dial Global bought the rest of Westwood One, then Cumulus bought Dial Global and now it’s back to the Westwood One branding. It’s now merging with Cumulus Media Networks (formerly ABC Radio Networks)

Studios were in the Los Angeles area. These days they are branched out between Denver (where Jones originated) as well as Los Angeles. Overnights are Jockless now. I believe Chick Watkins and Ed Brand retired. I think Ed was doing weekends until recently.

vchimpanzee
    Participant

I still have an affiliate where I live.

However, not that much of the music is AC. Despite the evolution of the format that was happening, oldies are still a big part of the format, and true standards are not going anywhere. A lot of them are new recordings of the old songs.

EZway2go
    Participant

Dial Global bought Westwood One’s 24/7 Networks. Then Dial Global bought out Jones. Then Dial Global bought Waitt Radio Networks, then Dial Global bought the rest of Westwood One, then Cumulus bought Dial Global and now it’s back to the Westwood One branding. It’s now merging with Cumulus Media Networks (formerly ABC Radio Networks)

Whew — my head’s spinning with all those moves! Well, at least someone didn’t come along as what usually happens and “fix” a format that wasn’t broken… yet.

Jeremy
    Participant

I have a local affiliate here, WLEC 1450/Sandusky, OH. Great station and love the mix from big band, standards to 80s soft AC hits to Michael Bublé’s and Rod Stewart’s renditions of standards classics along with some of their originals.

http://www.wlec.com

vchimpanzee
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JeremyAndrews wrote:</div>Dial Global bought Westwood One’s 24/7 Networks. Then Dial Global bought out Jones. Then Dial Global bought Waitt Radio Networks, then Dial Global bought the rest of Westwood One, then Cumulus bought Dial Global and now it’s back to the Westwood One branding. It’s now merging with Cumulus Media Networks (formerly ABC Radio Networks)

Whew — my head’s spinning with all those moves! Well, at least someone didn’t come along as what usually happens and “fix” a format that wasn’t broken… yet.

Actually, five years before Timeless Classics became Timeless Favorites, this format did try to sound more contemporary. But by the time Timeless Classics made its change and my local affiliate had to change from Unforgettable Favorites because two other area stations were Timeless Favorites, this format already sounded more traditional than Timeless Classics and the Jones merger just kept that process moving.

They’ve reversed direction now, but not by much. They’ve kept many of the real standards.

kevtronics
    Participant

Is this still the direct descendant of what used to be called “AM Only”? My local affiliate (1250 WMTR) ditched them in 2004 for a locally run “Classic Oldies” format — which, unlike many other AM stations which jumped on the pre-1964 Oldies bandwagon in the mid-2000s, they are still doing today, now with late ’60s and ’70s songs added in, but they still play lots of late ’50s/early ’60s music, and almost no ’80s music except for the Beach Boys’ “Kokomo”.

vchimpanzee
    Participant

Yes, this is AM Only.

Anonymous

I don’t go back as far as what I’m reading here. I fell in love with America’s best music probably in the early 2000s?
    For me it was piped out of WGRY in Grayling Michigan. I found it on the AM station and just loved music.
    I’m only 49 but I’m an old soul and a lot of the songs I hear remind me of songs my mom and dad would have liked… Some I actually remember.( As I write “yesterday when I was young”- Roy Clark, plays)

As we camped on the Au sable River and the nearby lake Campground
    This was the music that we fell in love with.

Sadly that station was bought out by another family And they switch the format to sports like we don’t get enough of that already.

Fortunately there is one last station I can hear it from out of Diamonddale, Michigan-WXLA 1180.
    The AM crackle almost doesn’t bother me as I’m kind of used to it it seems to fit.

As I worked out back and Enjoy the Sun on my back deck all summer long I listened to WXLA And rested back to that beloved camp spot where those American Standards sounds drifted through the pines.

And yes the last vestige of DJs
    Carl Hampton and Jeff Rollins
    The very names take me back.
    Unfortunately I missed out on most of those other names that were mentioned but I’m sure I would have loved them too.

To me this radio station that I listen to in this format feels like a gem
    Then I don’t know how long we’ll be around so I treat it as such.

I can only hope that the likes of Nat King Cole,Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Vince Guaraldi, Dave Brubeck And so many more will stay with us For many more years.

vchimpanzee
    Participant

All of us who like good music hope so too.

I’m not happy with John Gleason but I rarely have to listen to him. Usually if I’m in the car that time of day it’s because the college library near where I live is closed after 5:00. That wasn’t true yesterday but it took a lot of effort to get through with what I was doing. By the time I did, I only had a few opportunities to listen to Pat McNulty, filling in for Carl Hampton. He’s better.

Jeff’s great when he has time to be, but a lot of the time he has to just quickly identify the song and artist, and maybe say something interesting or clever.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

(Did any of you see Chick's behind-the-scenes at Transtar stuff I linked to in Everything Else?)

"I still have an affiliate where I live."

And of course around here there's the big bad blowtorch KKOV, which I have the distinct pleasure of also hearing over every single telephone extension and stereo loudspeaker that isn't filtered/choked/grounded.

Except for a few brief periods off and on during the last 10 years or so, there has been an AM Only satcaster in this area ("Sunny 910/1520/1010/1550") ever since it premiered in the mid 80s. Actually KKOV/KKAD ran Music of Your Life for a while before flipping back, but AMO is really the music of MY life, having gone through childhood and now my early 30s listening to that service.

CBers fight inequality, and for peoples' rights-
    CBers fight class prejudice - - an hamster just fights.

semoochie
    Participant

(Did any of you see Chick's behind-the-scenes at Transtar stuff I linked to in Everything Else?)

"I still have an affiliate where I live."

And of course around here there's the big bad blowtorch KKOV, which I have the distinct pleasure of also hearing over every single telephone extension and stereo loudspeaker that isn't filtered/choked/grounded.

Except for a few brief periods off and on during the last 10 years or so, there has been an AM Only satcaster in this area ("Sunny 910/1520/1010/1550") ever since it premiered in the mid 80s. Actually KKOV/KKAD ran Music of Your Life for a while before flipping back, but AMO is really the music of MY life, having gone through childhood and now my early 30s listening to that service.

Blowtorches aren’t what they used to be. You’d think that 50KW non-directional would have a significant impact but it probably only covers a quarter to a third of the area with a strong signal in the daytime and all bets are off at night unless you’re on the north end of town. If you refer to it as a blowtorch, you must live near the towers.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

Yeah, one would think, but recall what Andy Brown was saying a while back about how horribly inadequate the towers and the site itself are for the frequency and amount of power they run. For the record, this (and the interference) have been issues going back to when it was still KVAN. With better equipment and a more suitable location (remember, there is a major hill directly to the south ), they could probably cover most of the region with fairly little effort.

"If you refer to it as a blowtorch, you must live near the towers."

How did you know? Let me guess: you could hear Michael Buble and Frank Sinatra buzzing away faintly in the background of my post, yeah?

155o pretty much owns the entire top ends of most of my mediumwave rigs, overloading them from about 1450ish out to shortwave. Even KPAM puts out a pretty dirty signal from where I'm observing it, throwing spurious signals across most of the band. Not like standing on 49th street in front of the transmitter yard, though. (Talk about pwn4g3.)

CBers fight inequality, and for peoples' rights-
    CBers fight class prejudice - - an hamster just fights.

Joseph_Gallant

A 50,000-watt station on 1550 (even if non-directional) won’t reach as far (especially during daytime hours) as a 50,000-wat station on 660.

If KVOV-1550 had been on 660 (or a similar “low” AM frequency) with a 50,000-watt non-directional daytime signal, it’s daytime signal would reach Seattle and maybe even to the north.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php