AP Radio Network downgrade

RI Community Forums Spoken Word Programming News AP Radio Network downgrade

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Jon Magnuson Eric Jon Magnuson 13 hours, 18 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John Basalla
    John Basalla
    Participant

Radio stations who are members of the AP Radio Network received an email stating that, as of March 1, 2017, the AP radio network will no longer carry Top-of-the-Hour newscasts Monday through Friday in the overnight hours (between 11:00pm and 4:00am), and there will be no newscasts at all over the weekends.  While they said this was a hard decision to come by, this will allow them to focus on better quality newscasts.  Additionally, improvements to the “AP Prime Cuts” service have been instituted.  They are also starting a new content portal, “AP Newsroom” which will be easier to use  and will help stations find and download audio content that they want.

I have a few opinions about this, but will only initially say that it seems quite drastic to not have any news at all over the weekends.

Profile photo of joseph_gallant
    Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

There are some small radio stations that may end up with no news overnights and weekends because of these cutbacks.

But on the other hand, most music-formatted stations no longer carry any newscasts in any time periods.

Profile photo of newsmark
    newsmark
    Participant

I’ll bet someone like Westwood will step up to fill the gap/

Profile photo of Bill Recto
    Bill Recto
    Participant

Will AP radio continue to run on Iheartradio

https://www.iheart.com/live/associated-press-radio-6986/

Profile photo of charles57
    Charles Everett
    Participant

While they said this was a hard decision to come by, this will allow them to focus on better quality newscasts.

The Associated Press is devoting its resources where they’re most desired. Video and online are now a primary service for the AP. Old-line radio is not.

There are some small radio stations that may end up with no news overnights and weekends because of these cutbacks.

But on the other hand, most music-formatted stations no longer carry any newscasts in any time periods.

Show me the section of the Communications Act that states radio stations are required to air newscasts.

Profile photo of Nathan Obral
    Nathan Obral
    Participant

Does WBWC have any plans to address this, John? They’ve been an AP affiliate for as long as I can remember.

To be honest, the AP has been scaling back in radio news since the dissolution of their “News Station” all-news feed in 2005, primarily marketed to small-town radio stations that wanted to retain a news presence of some sort, even if they weren’t exactly all-news. That was a noble concept, and the quality was very good, but it had to have been losing money since day one.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

John Basalla
    Participant

An early downgrade happened about 12 years ago when they stopped running their hourly 2-minute sports reports at the 45 mark.

Profile photo of Eric Jon Magnuson
    Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

I’ll bet someone like Westwood will step up to fill the gap/

I’m not so confident.  A lot of news networks now–including both AP Radio and Westwood One’s current offering–tend to focus more on actuality services and crisis coverage than on old-school TOH/BOH newscasts.

John Basalla
    Participant

Does WBWC have any plans to address this, John? They’ve been an AP affiliate for as long as I can remember.

Station staff will do TOH news from the AP print service, except in some special cases.

WBWC’s first network affiliation was Mutual in the mid 1970s.  Some years later, the station hooked up with ABC news, with the cooperation of whichever commercial station had their affiliation (I think it was AM1220, WGAR).  WBWC ran the brief newscasts meant for music stations.  Next, sometime in the 1980s, WBWC began a long affiliation with UPI Radio News.  That lasted until the mid 1990s, when it appeared that UPI was about to go under.  Well, UPI Radio News managed to survive for a few more years, but not on WBWC.   That’s when the switch to AP Radio Network News was done.

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant
    Show me the section of the Communications Act that states radio stations are required to air newscasts.
    I didn’t sense even a little bit that he suggested radio stations are required to carry newscasts, but rather that some of them prefer to do so, and for others that carry syndicated talk programs, they have around 5 minutes or so of time to fill at the top of the hour and they would very much prefer it be filled with a newscast. As far as the Communication Act is concerned, they could fill that time with 5 minutes of bongo drums, but it wouldn’t really be the wisest decision, now would it?
    Profile photo of charles57
    Charles Everett
    Participant

Joseph had the notion that radio in 2017 should be programmed the same as it was in 1967. A lot of people on this board think the same way.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

From today’s Tom Taylor Now (at http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=78b390ff9f5b002e3f050238c&id=8e33b39ac9; see “AP Radio shrinks its workforce”)…

A NOW reader emails a news tip about more than a dozen positions being cut, and here’s the response from Associated Press Director of Media Relations Lauren Easton – “AP asked for volunteers in the radio division to accept a buyout package back in November 2016.” Whatever just happened – it sounds as if the cuts are occurring now, and folks may’ve gotten the official word yesterday [Monday].

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

The update in today’s Now (at http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=78b390ff9f5b002e3f050238c&id=3f5c5a712a, under “AP Radio cuts affect night-time and weekend newscasts”) essentially confirms the programming cuts mentioned in the original post here; it also says that the job cuts include 16 of the apparently 28 radio staffers in D.C.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

css.php