BIG CITY

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  raccoonradio 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

rapking
    Participant

My Facebook Friends are complaining that they cant hear BIG CITY 101.3 ( WTF I’m hearing some Oldie Station ) . Is Big City 101.3 finally off the air ?

raccoonradio
    Participant

Here’s the story and you can explain it to your friends. BIG CITY is not a legal radio station, it’s a pirate. What are its call letters? It has none because it’s on the air illegally. Yes it’s been on for maybe 8 years, and they probably make money (which they don’t report to the IRS) but they never bothered to get a license. Finally a LEGAL radio station has begun broadcasting on the 101.3 frequency and thus Big City must vacate.

WJIB AM 740 in Cambridge, owned by Bob Bittner, runs “easy as the breeze” music. It got the RIGHT to simulcast on an FM translator at 101.3, W267CE are its LEGAL call letters. The station fired up on August 4, 2017. Much of the area it was hoping to cover cannot hear it because of the ILLEGAL station known as Big City. Big City got several letters from the FCC saying they apparently are not properly licensed and they must sign off the air.

Maybe they can find another spot on the dial. No, wait, there really are none, and wherever they do go, they will be on illegally. Suppose you come home and find a strange man is in your living room, eating your food. “I’ll be driving your car, too,” he says. “I found your extra key.”

Does he have the right to be there? No, he’s there illegally and you have every right to evict him. Thus the situation with WJIB. Its listeners are trying to get the FCC to enforce the law. There may be fines, equipment seizures, or even imprisonment coming to the fine folks at Big City. As I understand it their morning DJ left the station and is now about to be heard on a LEGAL low power FM station in town.

Big City is in big trouble. If you’re hearing “oldies” instead of Big City that’s because a LEGAL station has moved in.

raccoonradio
    Participant

Letter sent to Big City: “On May 4, 2017, Agents from the Boston Office of the Federal Communications Commission’s  Enforcement Bureau investigated an unlicensed FM station operating on the frequency 101.3 MHz in Boston, Massachusetts. The Agents confirmed by
    direction finding techniques that radio signals on frequency 101.3 MHz were emanating from a business building 614 Blue Hill Ave. in Boston, Massachusetts. The Commission’s records
    show no license issued for operation of a radio station on 101.3 MHz at this location in Boston, Massachusetts. The Agent determined that you host a morning show on the radio station and are
    an operator of the radio station.

“Radio stations operating on a range of frequencies, including 101.3 MHz, must be licensed by the FCC… this station is operating in
    violation …
    You are hereby warned that operation of radio transmitting equipment without a valid radio station authorization constitutes a violation of the Federal laws cited above and could subject the
    operator to severe penalties, including, but not limited to, substantial monetary fines, in rem arrest action against the offending radio equipment, and criminal sanctions, including imprisonment.

UNLICENSED OPERATION OF THIS RADIO STATION MUST BE DISCONTINUED IMMEDIATELY.
    You have ten (10) days from the date of this notice to respond with any evidence that you have
    authority to operate granted by the FCC.”

raccoonradio
    Participant

(OK maybe they do pay taxes…I shouldn’t accuse…)

carmen r
    Participant

My Facebook Friends are complaining that they cant hear BIG CITY 101.3 ( WTF I’m hearing some Oldie Station ) . Is Big City 101.3 finally off the air ?

still Big City in East Milton Square. walking up Telegraph St in Southie there’s brief wisps of JIB so any radio nut with a Yagi-Uda could point it over towards W267CE to null out Big City. walking through Cambridge in the past, i could barely get Big City at all, due to some combination of Pru wall-of-noise Overloading and building attenuation from all the heavy built up Back Bay / Copley area and probably also natural terrain like Mission Hill and Fort Hill. if both stations were QRP and had lower antennas there might not be much issues of interference. seems like Big City’s plan at this point is to go down like Charles Clemons with the US Marshalls showing up in Grove Hall to cart off the equipment, otherwise they would have at least moved to a different frequency by now. It’s hard to argue with some sort of “community need” when there’s multiple other high-powered pirates playing music substantially similar to Big City, ok 87.75 plays a bit more Hip-Hop and 105.3 plays a bit more Reggae and 101.3 plays a bit more Soca but we’re really splitting hairs. plus there’s no the legal ZUMIX on 94.9 and City of Boston on 102.9 where folks can get a slot if they truly are serving the community and not simply taking airspace without playing by the rules that everyone else is subject to, then mainly using it to run promoter’s ads for club nights about 10 minutes an hour

rapking
    Participant

I told My Facebook Friends for Years that BIG CITY 101.3 ( B 87.7 , Vibe 105.3 ) are Not License Radio Stations . Most of My Facebook Friends didn’t believe me because these unlicensed Stations been on the air for years .

Wigwam Jones
    Participant

Was driving around listening to 101.3 today, wondering who it was,  thinking another pirate had taken that frequency.     Playing oldies, song after song with no breaks or ID’s , until I finally heard one, now I know it’s Bob Bittner’s WJIB, finally on FM.      Picked it up driving around Medford, Malden, Stoneham, Woburn and Wakefield.

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Today (August 14th), I looked on Google Maps to check the location of Big City FM.

Using the feature where I can get a street-level view, I saw three small antenna masts sprouting from the top of that building.

Google Maps indicated the pictures as being taken last November (2016), and since Big City has been on for a while, one of the two masts was undoubtedly their transmitting antenna.

The others might have been used by other pirate radio stations, or maybe as receiving antennas for police scanners-

raccoonradio
    Participant

Is the pirate Big City gone from 101.3? Last night in Danvers, Peabody, and Beverly WJIB’s // on that freq came in a bit fuzzy but fairly interference free (at times maybe WVQM Augusta or WMRC’s // may have been heard). Someone on the Friends and Lovers of WJIB Facebook group reported hearing the FM simulcast of WJIB clearly in Dorchester.

Big City may have finally decided to turn off permanently (from that frequency), or maybe they’ll turn back on.

a) The FCC did give them warning letter(s) to discontinue operation. Did the feds follow up with a fine or a raid?

b) While the pirate affected WJIB //’s signal, the same applied to Big City–and W267CE may have had the advantage of beaming both horizontally and vertically. As said above, some Big City listeners were puzzled that an oldies or “classical”
    station was being heard instead. They may live so close to Cambridge that this is all they hear now. With both stations on
    and fighting it out, Big City may have decided to try another frequency instead (but where?)

It’s been said 87.7’s pirate station has been  broadcasting from same building but the feds may not go after them because of being way down at 87.7, maybe no legal standing or significant interference.

–Someone on that facebook group said they can get the pirate very faintly nr Blue Hill Ave, so maybe turned power way down? Someone else said they can finally get the legit station // WJIB in Copley Sq

raccoonradio
    Participant

Someone told me Big City moved to 100.5…which happens to be next to a pretty powerful rock station owned by CBS, soon to be Entercom/CBS. How long will this last? Also supposedly Boston area has pirates on either side of WEEI-FM (93.5, 93.9)

carmen r
    Participant

Big City moved to 100.5. How long will this last?

not long as reception is even worse than when they were 101.3, itself now 2 non Big City stations duking it out, in the Milton/Dorchester/Quincy tri-city swamp area around the 1260 tower-trio. as we’ve discussed there’s nowhere for them to go beacuse every channel has a licensed station, a digital sideband of a licensed station, or an unlicensed station, such as aside from B87, there’s someone on 88.5 playing Hip Hop and Reggae which im still too lazy to ID but comes in thru most of North Quincy/ Dorchester areas, and Planet Kompa on 89.3, Bel Mizik on 91.3, perennial political-candidate and bigot Roy Owens on 91.5 with “Alpha Omega Radio” playing mainly soul and r&B music with occasional preachy interludes, a kreyol station on 91.7, another Kreyol on 93.9 IDing as “maximum FM” or so, “Radio 1” also in Kreyol on 98.9, weak kreyol signals wafting in from Brockton around 99.7/99.9/100.1/100.3, Vibe 105.3 in English, Radio Nha Terra on 107.1 in Cape Verdean which is the only unlicensed stn besides Bel Mizik to occasionally go off air when it’s not a weekend or evening. then more Haitian news and talk and music on 104.7, 104.9, 106.3, and 107.5, mostly the “big 4” stations of Radio Teleboston, Radio Concorde, Radio Energy which are also simulcasting on the X-Band MW in glorious high-fidelity AM. plus the new lPFMs on 94.9 and 102.9 which are both excellent and have their licensing in order. we may be seeing a slight dropoffs in AMs but the FM dial is more packed than ever

raccoonradio
    Participant

Yes still a swarm of activity by pirates on FM, and lately translators and LPFMs are taking over long used FM pirate frequencies. AM not as active but I wonder if someone noticed that for now or perhaps forever, there’s an open spot on 1510. I would hope some of these “community groups” and amateur DJs might find a spot instead on a legal LPFM or somewhere else legit.

Uncle Kaimbridge
    Participant

as we’ve discussed there’s nowhere for them to go beacuse every channel has a licensed station, a digital sideband of a licensed station, or an unlicensed station, such as aside from B87,
    there’s someone on 88.5 playing Hip Hop and Reggae which im still too lazy to ID but comes in thru most of North Quincy/ Dorchester areas,
    and Planet Kompa on 89.3,
    Bel Mizik on 91.3,
    perennial political-candidate and bigot Roy Owens on 91.5 with “Alpha Omega Radio” playing mainly soul and r&B music with occasional preachy interludes,
    a kreyol station on 91.7,
    another Kreyol on 93.9 IDing as “maximum FM” or so,
    “Radio 1” also in Kreyol on 98.9,
    weak kreyol signals wafting in from Brockton around 99.7/99.9/100.1/100.3,
    Vibe 105.3 in English,
    Radio Nha Terra on 107.1 in Cape Verdean
    <snip>
    more Haitian news and talk and music on 104.7, 104.9, 106.3, and 107.5, mostly the “big 4” stations of Radio Teleboston, Radio Concorde, Radio Energy
    plus the new lPFMs on 94.9 and 102.9 which are both excellent and have their licensing in order.

There is also one on 92.1 (where?), as well as an occasional one on 97.9 (I think from Medford).
    Is there an updated list of all of the unLic/pirates? The BamLog is still out there, but painfully outdated (April 2014!).

~Uncle Kaimbridge~
           02205–2602–029
      [42.3509°N–71.0538°W (FN42li34nf)]

**** Void Where Permitted;
            Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

raccoonradio
    Participant

carmen r
    Participant

There is also one on 92.1 (where?)

noticed 92.1 in Lynn at High Rock Tower park (great spot to spin North Shore dials), suspect it’s around there. also forgot to mention 90.1 which interferes w/ WZBC around Mattapan, a right mess but the WZBR Translator is a promising development as is the discovery by the Caribbean community of 102.9 as in the Authentic Caribbean Foundation’s new slot on Thursday nights

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php