Breeze lands on 94.5's HD2

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston Breeze lands on 94.5's HD2

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

raccoonradio
    Participant

The soft AC format the Breeze has landed on WJMN FM 94.5’s HD 2 signal. iHeart put it in place of a simulcast of their talk 1200

WXKS. No sign of the talk 1200 simulcast from what I’ve heard on my own HD portable. Display says Boston’s Breeze.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

The soft AC format the Breeze has landed on WJMN FM 94.5’s HD 2 signal. iHeart put it in place of a simulcast of their talk 1200

WXKS. No sign of the talk 1200 simulcast from what I’ve heard on my own HD portable. Display says Boston’s Breeze.

iHeart did the same thing in Cleveland last night with the HD2 sub of WGAR-FM (that for now is being relayed on a suburban translator 106.1 Solon, but said translator is set to switch to sister station WAKS-FM). It’s basically asserting the “Breeze” name for first-use trademarks in both states.

By doing this, iHeart is preventing Entercom, Cumulus, Beasley or any other broadcaster from using the “Breeze” name anywhere in Massachusetts.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

WCOZBoston

Wonder if they would consider running it on the main channel?

vjm1
    Participant

The only way iHeart puts “Breeze” on a main channel is if they flip WHLK 106.5 The Lake to soft AC…which would be going back to their “Lite Rock 106 1/2 WLTF” roots in a way.

All of iHeart Cleveland’s other FMs (KISS FM, WGAR, The Buzzard, and Majic) are too ingrained in their formats, and a switch to soft AC would cause too much consternation.

They could get away with flipping The Lake as a hat tip to it’s past life as WLTF.

Bill Recto
    Participant

iHeart did the same thing in Cleveland last night with the HD2 sub of WGAR-FM (that for now is being relayed on a suburban translator 106.1 Solon, but said translator is set to switch to sister station WAKS-FM). It’s basically asserting the “Breeze” name for first-use trademarks in both states.

By doing this, iHeart is preventing Entercom, Cumulus, Beasley or any other broadcaster from using the “Breeze” name anywhere in Massachusetts.

https://www.933thebreeze.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLIM

The 2 Largest stations that are non-iheart owned stations to use the Breeze so far are WLIM Long Island and 98.7 Detroit (Entercom Owned). I wonder how long will Iheart allow competing radio station owners to use the Breeze Brand before they have to require them to pay royalties to Iheart?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLIM

Entercom Launches 98.7 The Breeze Detroit

Bill Recto
    Participant

https://www.iheart.com/live/the-breeze-8143/

Update Iheart Radio has released the national edition of “The Breeze” for the rest of the country on the Iheart app.

Uncle Kaimbridge
    Participant

The only way iHeart puts “Breeze” on a main channel is if they flip WHLK 106.5 The Lake to soft AC…which would be going back to their “Lite Rock 106 1/2 WLTF” roots in a way.

Ah, remember, this is the Boston board….I don’t think they are too concerned about the Cleveland stations here! P=)

~Uncle Kaimbridge~
           02205–2602–029
      [42.3509°N–71.0538°W (FN42li34nf)]

**** Void Where Permitted;
            Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

raccoonradio
    Participant

Yes and someone wondered on the other board if they might put Breeze on the main 94.5 signal–Jam’n may be doing too well for that to happen but who knows. It was also noted there than iHR is saving money by not having any HD3 signals in Boston. Blues Radio Mojo was taken off WZLX 100.7 when iHR got the station, and became the HD2 home for WRKO.

I don’t know if there will be an HD2 or HD3 spot for Talk 1200 *as noted, they don’t want any HD3 apparently). Not sure if WKAF 97.7 has an HD2 (I can pick up the main signal at least). The iHR HD2s are now Breeze (94.5), WRKO (100.7), Evolution (101.7), WBZ AM (107.9) and whatever they have on WKAF 97.7

Now, I’m not sure if he’s still running the ‘Easy as the Breeze’ slogan on WJIB 740, but I wonder how WJIB owner Bob Bittner feels about this…now that The Breeze will be on dozens of HD radios in the region 😉

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  raccoonradio.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

In either market, there’s no full-power signal available for such a format on iHeart’s end. These moves were ostensibly made to claim the “Breeze” name and prevent the competition from using it, especially Entercom (although as noted above by raccoonradio, Bob Bittner may have some fun with the first usage claim of “Breeze” in the market). I definitely wouldn’t be worried at 94.5, 101.7 or even 97.7 (which seems to have found a niche as a flanker for 94.5 and KISS).

I might take iHeart’s attempt in Boston a bit more seriously if they had a translator to relay 94.5-2 for the vast majority who don’t have an HD Radio.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php