But wait, there's more!

RadioInsight Community Forums General Topics DX & Reception But wait, there's more!

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Channel99 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Yekimi
    Participant

Tonight, diddling around on the AM band resulted in me picking up WSCR out of Chicago, which isn’t that big of a surprise since they have 50,000 watts. But what really surprised me was just lurking about underneath it was a Spanish language formatted station that every once in a while came in louder than WSCR. I was finally able to ascertain that it was WRJR out of Claremont, VA. and their nightime power is only 3 [three] watts!

audioguy
    Participant

I think it’s unlikely that WRJR was actually operating with 3 watts during the time you listened. You would have been very unlikely to hear them overriding WSCR if that were the case. I think what you can take away from this is that a number of AM stations are taking advantage of the FCC’s lax enforcement of its rules and adherence to license terms. I have tried several times to report interference from over power or daytime only stations that were carrying regular broadcasts (not testing!) and it is very difficult to get any response. It seems the Commission is very responsive to complaints of interference or operation by unlicensed stations, but they turn a blind eye to noncompliance by licensed stations. I am disappointed about this but nighttime AM listening is already poor at best.

Yekimi
    Participant

I think it’s unlikely that WRJR was actually operating with 3 watts during the time you listened. You would have been very unlikely to hear them overriding WSCR if that were the case. I think what you can take away from this is that a number of AM stations are taking advantage of the FCC’s lax enforcement of its rules and adherence to license terms. I have tried several times to report interference from over power or daytime only stations that were carrying regular broadcasts (not testing!) and it is very difficult to get any response. It seems the Commission is very responsive to complaints of interference or operation by unlicensed stations, but they turn a blind eye to noncompliance by licensed stations. I am disappointed about this but nighttime AM listening is already poor at best.

As I said it was just under it to the point that it was hard to make out what was being said but just for about 20-40 seconds it came through and luckily it was at the time they gave a station ID. Skip does strange things sometimes but it could have been that they were operating on their daytime power. The nightime guy didn’t say anything because, #1, he didn’t care and #2, he wanted to see if he could get anyone from far away to call  in and #3, his meter readings were showing that he WAS at the nightime power he was supposed to be at…..only he wasn’t. The only ones that did complain were the adjacent channels we were supposed to power down and protect and it took them a week to do it……so the problem got fixed post haste as soon as the CE found out about it.

Channel99
    Participant

And now and then you will find a daytime-only station still on at night – broadcasting whatever satellite service they use days – or even dead air.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php