Classic Country for Columbus?

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Columbus Classic Country for Columbus?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

chad43358
    Participant

Think there is a chance we will ever see it again? I just saw a thread in the Cincinnati board where locally owned and programmed 105.9/106.7 took the number 2 country spot in the ratings, beating a corporately-owned “Nash Icon” brand.

On a recent trip to Georgia this past week I found 98.5 in Lexington, KY which brands themselves at 98.1 The Bull WBUL Icons @ 98.5. It is 98.1’s HD2 station on a low power channel, and their playlist seems good.

I know I’ll get some backlash considering the last “classic country” format didn’t survive, but for those of us who know classic country knows that WHOK’s playlist was far too cookie-cutter for the genre. Trying to compete with WCOL didn’t help them either. There is a massive void in classic country music in the area that has caused me to turn the radio off in the Columbus area. Unfortunately WCLT 100.3 is too far East to be fully listenable to us on the West side, not to mention they are not really “classic country” in my eyes.

IMHO there are far too many “classic hits” type stations in Columbus. I tried talking to a small radio group in the area about flipping to classic country. They sent me an email reply with the manager’s number but he fails to return calls. I even offered to help out with programming!

I guess for now I will have to continue listening to my own playlist on my phone…

gabigley1
    Participant

I was wondering that myself over the last few days. What makes a very good Classic Country in your opinion? Would a good mix of 60s  70s and 80s country  music do? With all the stations we have here in the Columbus area, certainly one should at least consider bringing   Classic Country back to Columbus.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

I was wondering that myself over the last few days. What makes a very good Classic Country in your opinion? Would a good mix of 60s 70s and 80s country music do? With all the stations we have here in the Columbus area, certainly one should at least consider bringing Classic Country back to Columbus.

Problem who is going to do it – I don’t see iHeart doing it – as much as I honestly think their running Sports on 105.7 is a waste – 105.7 would be a good “Classic Country” complement to WCOL which is heavy on currents.

I don’t see Saga doing it – they seem happy with the Rewind Simulcast at 103.5/104.3 and with Sunny, QFM and Mix’s format.

Radio One – they won’t touch country for sure. (Even though I think their wasting 106.3 simulcasting 107.5 it hasn’t helped them in the PPMs)

Not sure how NABCO’s stations are doing but they seem happy with their Rocker Blitz, Jack FM and 920/95.1’s formats. (though 920/95.1 would be a good place for Classic Country – WMNI was country for years – live and local before flipping to ABC’s “Real Country” format off satellite then their multiple styles of “easy” music).

chad43358
    Participant

Well, keeping in line with the other “Classic Country” stations in Ohio and other states, I believe a heavy reliance on 90’s with some late 80’s and early 2000’s would be ideal. Even a few favorites from the 60’s and 70’s would be a nice touch.

I forgot to mention that I am able to receive 1340 AM WIZE out of Springfield where I live in the day which airs “iHeart Country Classics,” and they too rely heavily on the 90s. However once night hits, it is gone.

If I were in charge of Columbus radio, I would put Classic Country on the 103.5/104.3 duo. For the most part, the target audience for that genre is in the rural areas and both of those transmitters are in rural areas. At the very minimum I would land it on 104.3 since the East side already has 100.3 which doesn’t rely as heavily on new country.

105.7 would be a good fit but reaching the rural areas is difficult considering I start losing 105.7 West of Marysville.

Ideally iHeart would land it at 93.3 and send The Bus to 105.7. But, that’s in my perfect little world. Maybe do like Lexington and call it 92.3 WCOL Icon’s at 93.3. Also run the music at a 2.0% increase in speed to make it sound more chipper!

chad43358
    Participant

Also worth mentioning, Saga operates Classic Country 1540/107.5 WBCO out of Bucyrus which utilizes a great playlist. Therefore I honestly feel they would be successful at 104.3 and even 103.5.

cpsteinmetz
    Participant

It’s too bad that HD radio never caught on. 101.7 WNKO re-broadcasts sister station WHTH-AM on their HD2. It’s not a bad Classic Country format, a little older than WBCO but still not bad.

chad43358
    Participant

It’s too bad that HD radio never caught on. 101.7 WNKO re-broadcasts sister station WHTH-AM on their HD2. It’s not a bad Classic Country format, a little older than WBCO but still not bad.

That is the truth. I’ve listened to WHTH on 107.7 while in the Newark area before. Not a bad station.

cpsteinmetz
    Participant

That is the truth. I’ve listened to WHTH on 107.7 while in the Newark area before. Not a bad station.
    That’s right, they have an AM translator. I don’t think that you can get it in Columbus through.

chad43358
    Participant

Nope. In fact it was spotty even at 310 and 161.

static_cling
    Participant

If you don’t mind listening to AM, WHTH should be audible on the east side of Columbus in the daytime.

chad43358
    Participant

If you don’t mind listening to AM, WHTH should be audible on the east side of Columbus in the daytime.

I’m in the Marysville area. Luckily most days I am able to listen to 1340 AM out of Springfield.

cpsteinmetz
    Participant
    I’m in the Marysville area. Luckily most days I am able to listen to 1340 AM out of Springfield.
    If you’re in the Marysville area, you should be able to hear WBLL – 1390 AM or their translator on 106.9 FM which is located just east of Urbana.

chad43358
    Participant
    If you’re in the Marysville area, you should be able to hear WBLL – 1390 AM or their translator on 106.9 FM which is located just east of Urbana.
    Able to get 1390 in the day. They are comparable to 100.3 WCLT. Unable to get 106.9 though. Was hoping it would have a better signal this direction but unfortunately that is not the case.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Being the distant #2 sports station is far and away more profitable than classic country (in any form or permutation) could ever be, especially in a market like Columbus. That’s why The Zone exists and will not be going anywhere any time soon.

To be bluntly honest, classic country doesn’t really work as a format in a mid-major market. WSM-FM (and any of the cookie-cutter Nash Icons) are country AC-ish, playing a mix of old and current product. 650 WSM almost doesn’t count, as it exists now as a marketing tool for both Gaylord Hotels and the Grand Ol’ Opry; they don’t subscribe to Nielsen but I’m pretty sure their demos skew ridiculously old.

Unless WHIZ retakes operational control of 102.5 and gives “Highway 102” a second go-around, the chances of a country AC/classic country station emerging in the Columbus market proper are next to nil.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php