Classical 89.7 WKCP Miami, 90.7 WPBI West Palm Beach up for sale

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Miami

Real brief mention in the Palm Beach Post HERE about loosing the market’s only NPR station to Educational Media Foundation, because Public News/Talk “WPBI News” 101.9 is part of the sale and that’s the station carrying the NPR feed. In addition to EMF, WLRN being courted to buy the station 101.9 to keep NPR alive in Palm Beach.

Radio Insight, on always the ball of course, and the full story, HERE. EMF and their K-Love brand , sounds and feels exactly like Calvary Chapels Reach FM brand — a syndicated Christian Contemporary format, with a smattering of preachers/talk shows. So, not likely the sale will create opportunity or jobs (as it’ll just pipe in a feed complete with jocks and music). So, in way, Fort Lauderdale’s Classical 89.7 goes right back to where it was before, when it was “89.7 Spirit FM,” which basically did the same thing.

So, more station’s on the block. Jorgensen (the broadcast broker of) has WFTL 850, WFLL 1400, and 640 WMEN for now, but once they get things in order, they could be sold at a later time. (not fact, my assumption). They did only take the JCR properties only after no one bid on the stations — in the current state. Again, fixed up, relocated to their correct market (Palm Beach, instead of Fort Lauderdale), they could be more desirable for a buyer.

The Entercomm / Lincoln deal isn’t dead, just held up in FCC / Justice Department paper work and so 790 WAXY, 104.3, and 102.7 Magic, and 101.5 Lite, will happen, just later than sooner.

And Palm Beach Broadcasting Media/Digity’s cluster or 97.9 WRMF, X 102.3, Sunny 107.9, and 103.1 Country (along with translator 96.3 W242CI 201 watts at 128 meters rebroadcasting 102.3 WMBX’s-HD2 channel) . . (and that will kill off the internet only Buzz 103.com for sure, it’s not even on an HD anymore. Goes to show hoy much faith alt-rock has these days).

So that’s 12 stations on the blocks: 5 from PBB/Digity, 3 from American Public Media/CSF, and 4 from Lincoln. Exciting times here in S.Fla radio.

Here’s the input from Tom Taylor Now.com

The Palm Beach Post picks up on today’s scheduled vote by the board of Classical South Florida, where they it could choose to sell classical WPBI West Palm Beach, the big Class C1 at 90.7, to California-based Educational Media Foundation. EMF of course creates and distributes the contemporary Christian non-commercial “K-Love” format. As the Post says, “Palm Beach County could lose the only radio station that broadcasts National Public Radio.” That’s a reference to the HD2 signal of WPBI, which feeds a translator at 101.9 with non-commercial news/talk from NPR and other sources. The license is held by Classical South Florida, whose parent is Minnesota-based American Public Media Group. But the paper says “there’s a chance the sale might fail,” because of dissension on the board. They’re be looking for a different buyer, one who’d keep the format. It appears the parent in Minnesota is interested in the sale to EMF. Classical South Florida also owns classical WKCP Miami (89.7) and WNPS over in Ft. Myers (88.7). It bought Barry University’s WXEL four years ago for about $4 million and converted it from non-commercial news/talk to classical WPBI.

Hopefully, someone will step in and keep classical and NPR in South Florida.

As for some of the AM stations in South Florida being up for sale, I could see Blooomberg Media as a potential buyer for stations in Miami and West Palm Beach.

Why Bloomberg??

The South Florida area is filled with wealthy retirees who might listen to Bloomberg’s business and financial programming. Also, the West Palm Beach area is a leading vacation spot for wealthy executives and hedge-fund managers.

South Florida would be very logical (along with Washington, D.C.) as Bloomberg’s next step in expansion of their radio network

Participant

Hopefully, someone will step in and keep classical and NPR in South Florida.

Southeast Florida already has NPR via WLRN-FM from Miami, which appears in both the Miami and West Palm Beach ratings surveys. [Yes, a Miami station subscribes to Nielsen Audio in Palm Beach County.] WLRN-FM has a city-grade signal into Boca Raton and an outlying signal into Palm Beach. Plus the station has a newsgathering partnership with the Miami Herald.

The real problem for highbrow media in Palm Beach is the nature of the market. Nearly all the wealthy people are around only in “high season”, November through April, spending summers up north. Palm Beach can barely afford a local PBS or NPR station when the obvious supporters are snowbirds. Even the local society newspaper prints only once a week during the summer.

WXEL couldn’t make a go of it on FM and sold the radio side to American Public Media. Now APM realizes it doesn’t have a viable operation in Palm Beach and put it up for sale. Who can blame them?

From the Radio Insight Twitter Feed that runs to the lower right of the message board, in case you missed it, and it scrolls away. RI retweeted 18 hours ago (as I write this at 11 AM) Alexandra Clough @acloughpbp, Business Columnist at the Palm Beach Post, who writes about real estate, law, the economy and other local business news you can’t get anywhere else . . . said (in a follow up tweet from 23rd when she broke the news about the impending sale)

— “Classical S Fl board voted today on sale of WPBI-FM. Board member Richard Rampell said vote was confidential. But he sounded unhappy.” —

Sounds like the sale is going of 101.9 to EMF is happening. Why else would a board member be “unhappy.”

Where does it say WKCP is for sale? I only see where WPBI is on the block. Also, Bloomberg is carried part time on 880 The Biz WZAB out of Sweetwater which covers both counties pretty well in the daytime. I suspect that if Bloomberg were a money maker in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale they’d have dropped their slate of brokered a long time ago and gone full-time. Either way it’s too bad West Palm is losing classical. Maybe WLRN will purchase the PBI translator and widen their footprint in West Palm.

Participant

Where does it say WKCP is for sale? I only see where WPBI is on the block.

See Lance’s blog: http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/93448/emf-poised-to-acquire-classical-south-florida/

Maybe WLRN will purchase the PBI translator and widen their footprint in West Palm.

WLRN-FM is licensed to The School Board of Miami-Dade County, Florida. A school board licensee is not about to purchase an out-of-market repeater located two counties north — especially when funding for schools is stagnant.

“Maybe WLRN will purchase the PBI translator and widen their footprint in West Palm.”

— WLRN-FM is licensed to The School Board of Miami-Dade County, Florida. A school board licensee is not about to purchase an out-of-market repeater located two counties north — especially when funding for schools is stagnant.

I agree with Charles, this is the same reason the Broward School Board never completed its proposed move of WKPX’s studio and transmitters to McFatter Technical in Davie, and gave up in their FCC approved increase to 25kw, instead remaining at 3k. School funding is stagnant, and when you have to worry about school’s needing new roofs at a few million, increasing a radio station’s footprint is last on the list.

Besides, don’t translators have to be local to the primary station they’re repeating. I don’t believe the FCC would even allow Dade station to repeat on a Palm Beach translator two counties away. Buying a full service station, and simulcasting, yes. A translator, no.

So, yeah, I don’t see School Board of Miami Dade as a player at all. It’s pretty clear from the media that American Public Media wants out of South Florida and EMF wants all of APM properties, including the translator.

As for the “public outcry” over PBI 101.9, we seen this before with Spirit 89.7, and with WXEL 90.7, when a small group of people launch a campaign to stop the sale. It never works. The sale will happen, as if you read the Twitter comment from Alexandra Clough @acloughpbp, Business Columnist at the Palm Beach Post, apparently, for PBI, it is.

As a non-commercial station WLRN could aquire and rebroadcast on the translator, the same way WREH in Okeechobee has done for years on translators in Broward and Palm Beach. As for the funding issue I’d be curious to see how much of their budget actually comes out of the School Board’s coffers and how much comes from corporate and foundational underwriting and listener support. Unlike WKPX they have outside revenue streams and likely don’t have to lean on the Dade taxpayers as much. That aside, it would be sad to see them go; I’ve been a listener since the start and have donated in the past.

— “Classical S Fl board voted today on sale of WPBI-FM. Board member Richard Rampell said vote was confidential. But he sounded unhappy.” —
    Sounds like the sale is going of 101.9 to EMF is happening. Why else would a board member be “unhappy.”

WPBI(FM) is on 90.7
    W270AD is on 101.9

Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology

WPBI(FM) is on 90.7
    W270AD is on 101.9
    Yes, I am aware . . . the sale is affecting BOTH stations. The media refers to both under the umbrella as WPBI, not me.

Participant

A new story from Current about reported layoffs and other changes at APM itself (likely centered in St. Paul) contains this nugget at the end, concerning the organization’s latest audited financial statement (for the fiscal year ending June 30th, 2014)…

Both MPR [Minnesota Public Radio itself] and SCPR [Southern California Public Radio; aka KPCC] have balanced budgets, reporting gains of $154,000 and $13,000, respectively. Classical South Florida, which is in talks to be sold to a religious broadcaster, posted a $1.5 million loss.

(See http://current.org/2015/07/apm-plans-organizational-changes-no-more-business-as-usual.)

Wow, CSF single-handedly (or 3½ stationly) brought them from the black to the red with $.4 million to spare. I have to admit that at least part of their demise is my fault. Yes, I am slightly guilty. When I finally accepted the fact that I cannot listen to classical music on a noisy, under 70dbu, rim shot signal, and SiriusXM gives me perfect reception all of the time, I cut the purse strings which lead from my bank account to them. Somewhere on that founding member’s wall at 330 Himmarshee St., Fort Lauderdale, is a name which belongs to me and I feel like I owe them either 1Wow, CSF single-handedly (or 3½ stationly) brought them from the black to the red with $.4 million to spare. I have to admit that at least part of their demise is my fault. Yes, I am slightly guilty. When I finally accepted the fact that I cannot listen to classical music on a noisy, under 70dbu, rim shot signal, and SiriusXM gives me perfect reception all of the time, I cut the purse strings which lead from my bank account to them. Somewhere on that founding member’s wall at 330 Himmarshee St., Fort Lauderdale, is a name which belongs to me and I feel like I owe them $1½ million at $10/month for the next 12,500 years.

Wow, CSF single-handedly (or 3½ stationly) brought them from the black to the red with $.4 million to spare. I have to admit that at least part of their demise is my fault. Yes, I am slightly guilty. When I finally accepted the fact that I cannot listen to classical music on a noisy, under 70dbu, rim shot signal, and SiriusXM gives me perfect reception all of the time, I cut the purse strings which lead from my bank account to them. Somewhere on that founding member’s wall at 330 Himmarshee St., Fort Lauderdale, is a name which belongs to me and I feel like I owe them $1½ million at $10/month for the next 12,500 years.

Participant

And it’s a done deal: APM will wind up Classical South Florida and sell those stations to EMF for $21.7M. Lance’s blog has the details and relevant links.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php