Cleveland Cavs TV announcer passes away .

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

Beloved Cavs FSO TV play by play man Fred Mc Leod, 67, died suddenly Monday night.

No cause of death has been announced.

Fred was a TV & radio veteran of many decades, and worked in several major markets.

Every media friend or co-worker I knew who came into contact with Fred said he was a wonderful, genuine, kind person.

Condolences to his wife Beth, his family, friends, and Cavs family.

Participant

Fred was a good guy.

When he first came to the Cavs in 2006, he caught a lot of flack as a “Michigan” guy who old friend and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert (who worked for McLeod as an intern at WDIV NBC 4 Detroit during college) brought him in to replace longtime popular TV PBP guy Michael Reghi.

But McLeod and Cavs legend Austin Carr just clicked on the broadcasts, and their banter kinda helped a lot of fans get through some lean years (i.e. the ones where LeBron was gone).

Fred got to call 3 Championship teams (2 in Detroit, and of course 1 here) and won 3 Emmys for his Cavs work.

RIP.

Participant

Fred was a good guy. When he first came to the Cavs in 2006, he caught a lot of flack as a “Michigan” guy who old friend and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert (who worked for McLeod as an intern at WDIV NBC 4 Detroit during college) brought him in to replace longtime popular TV PBP guy Michael Reghi. But McLeod and Cavs legend Austin Carr just clicked on the broadcasts, and their banter kinda helped a lot of fans get through some lean years (i.e. the ones where LeBron was gone). Fred got to call 3 Championship teams (2 in Detroit, and of course 1 here) and won 3 Emmys for his Cavs work. RIP.

Didn’t Fred do some play-by-play work during his tenure at Channel 8 back in his early years?

Participant

Fred was a good guy. When he first came to the Cavs in 2006, he caught a lot of flack as a “Michigan” guy who old friend and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert (who worked for McLeod as an intern at WDIV NBC 4 Detroit during college) brought him in to replace longtime popular TV PBP guy Michael Reghi. But McLeod and Cavs legend Austin Carr just clicked on the broadcasts, and their banter kinda helped a lot of fans get through some lean years (i.e. the ones where LeBron was gone). Fred got to call 3 Championship teams (2 in Detroit, and of course 1 here) and won 3 Emmys for his Cavs work. RIP.

Didn’t Fred do some play-by-play work during his tenure at Channel 8 back in his early years?
    He did play by play for the Indians in ’79 when TV 8 was the Tribe’s TV home (the last year before moving to WUAB) alongside Joe Castiglione – who has since had a long and successful career as the Boston Red Sox main TV guy.
    Fred’s main gig in 1979 was as TV 8’s weekend sports anchor, backing up Jim Mueller (who these days is more known as a car dealership pitchman).
    Fred didn’t lose the Tribe gig due to merit, it was more due to channel 43’s then-owner Gaylord Broadcasting wanting to make a big splash, and buying the Indians’ TV rights away from (then) WJKW prior to the 1980 season.

Participant

I believe channel 43 was able to broadcast more games than channel 8 since they had no network commitments.  It was Joe Tait and Bruce Drennan who did the announcing for the first few year on channel 43.  As I recall, they used to wear matching green blazers.

Participant

I believe channel 43 was able to broadcast more games than channel 8 since they had no network commitments. It was Joe Tait and Bruce Drennan who did the announcing for the first few year on channel 43. As I recall, they used to wear matching green blazers.

Absolutely correct.
    WUAB did about 60 games per year, while TV 8 – due to CBS commitments – only did like 20-25.
    Gaylord in the early 80s was trying to build up WUAB as a super independent…kinda like a mini Superstation of sorts, to get it on as many regional cable systems as they could (Toledo, Columbus, Youngstown, Erie PA, and even into southern Ontario), and snagging the Tribe was part of the strategy.

Participant

Unbelievably sad news about Fred’s passing, condolences to his family and friends.  I remember a lot of Cavs fans being unhappy with Fred coming in to replace Michael Reghi on the TV broadcasts, and at the time I counted myself as one of them.  But over time the decision proved correct as in my opinion Fred and Austin thrived together and became one of the best TV duos in the NBA.  Fred will be greatly missed this Cavs season.

With that being said, it will be fascinating to see how the Cavs fill that position.  Is there any chance that MIchael Reghi comes back?  Would they possibly move John Michael off the radio and in front of the camera?  I do think John has done an excellent job since coming in to relieve the retired Joe Tait .  Either way I can’t imagine how hard it is going to be for Austin those first few broadcasts.  He, along with Cavs fans everywhere, will be watching the start of this season with very heavy hearts.

Participant

Unbelievably sad news about Fred’s passing, condolences to his family and friends. I remember a lot of Cavs fans being unhappy with Fred coming in to replace Michael Reghi on the TV broadcasts, and at the time I counted myself as one of them. But over time the decision proved correct as in my opinion Fred and Austin thrived together and became one of the best TV duos in the NBA. Fred will be greatly missed this Cavs season. With that being said, it will be fascinating to see how the Cavs fill that position. Is there any chance that MIchael Reghi comes back? Would they possibly move John Michael off the radio and in front of the camera? I do think John has done an excellent job since coming in to relieve the retired Joe Tait . Either way I can’t imagine how hard it is going to be for Austin those first few broadcasts. He, along with Cavs fans everywhere, will be watching the start of this season with very heavy hearts.

I can see Reghi coming in this year as a stopgap/placeholder.
    Though beyond that, they’ll probably bring in some new blood.
    Also remember, Austin Carr is 71…how much longer will he want to go (especially without his buddy Fred).

Participant

Wonder if Beth McLeod is “available” for dating

Participant

Wonder if Beth McLeod is “available” for dating

You might want to wait a couple weeks.

Participant

The Cavs have just named their new media room (an added goody that was part of the renovations to the rechristened Rocket Mortgage Field House) the “Fred McLeod TV Studio and Media Workroom”

Participant

The Cavs have just named their new media room (an added goody that was part of the renovations to the rechristened Rocket Mortgage Field House) the “Fred McLeod TV Studio and Media Workroom”

When the time comes, I sincerely hope that Joe Tait will get some sort of permanent recognition that meets or exceeds what Fred  got down at Huron & Ontario.

Participant

When the time comes, I sincerely hope that Joe Tait will get some sort of permanent recognition that meets or exceeds what Fred got down at Huron & Ontario.
    Well, when he retired, they put up a banner in the rafters honoring Joe that hangs alongside all the Cavs retired numbers,
    And they had long ago officially renamed the home radio booth (overlooking the court from the second level – a position Joe specifically picked out for himself ) as the “Joe Tait Perch”.
    So the Cavs have honored Joe – twice over

Participant

The Cavaliers announced this morning that John Michael will be promoted up to Fred’s position as lead announcer at Fox Sports Ohio (name change pending in a few months) while WEOL 930/100.3 station manager/sports director/lead high school sports commentator Tim Alcorn is taking John’s slot on the radio network.

Alcorn has long been a friend of Joe Tait and recently started a weekly podcast with Joe about his career; it came about after Joe asked Tim if WEOL could digitize his extensive reel-to-reel tape collection. Meanwhile John, who had the unenviable task of succeeding Joe on the radio side in 2011, now has a difficult task of succeeding Fred.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

I had my money on Michael Reghi taking over the TV duties.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php