Cumulus wants to drop the Bulls, White Sox, WKQX and the Loop

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Chicago / Illinois Cumulus wants to drop the Bulls, White Sox, WKQX and the Loop

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nickp91 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nathan Obral
    Participant

So says Tom Taylor this morning. It’s all part of the list of things Cumulus wants to bail on in bankruptcy court.

Obviously the PBP contracts, and the lease-to-buy options, happened with Lew Dickey at the helm.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

MediaFan85
    Participant

So says Tom Taylor this morning. It’s all part of the list of things Cumulus wants to bail on in bankruptcy court. Obviously the PBP contracts, and the lease-to-buy options, happened with Lew Dickey at the helm.

Could Merlin Media once again assume full-time ownership on the stations?  Or perhaps a different company will take over 97.9 and 101.1.

Joseph_Gallant

This may result in the Chicago Bulls’ moving flagship stations in mid-season.

I feel there’s a chance that the Bulls might be off radio for a time. With the Bulls at this writing (January 19th) in last place in the NBA Central division (and 12th overall in the East, well off the pace and unlikely to make the playoffs), I wonder if anyone would be interested in broadcasting their games for the remainder of this season.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bulls don’t have local radio coverage until the start of the 2018/19 pre-season schedule next Fall.

As for the White Sox, there’s still (at this writing) just under nine weeks until their regular-season opener (March 29th at Kansas City). However, their first pre-season game (February 23rd against Los Angeles at Glendale, Arizona) is exactly five weeks off.

While I expect the White Sox will get a new radio deal in-time for the regular-season opener, I wonder if such a deal could be signed quickly enough to get all (or even most) of the team’s pre-season games broadcast on local radio.

Whichever station gets the White Sox will probably try to convince the sponsors of the 2017 broadcasts that were on WLS-890 to move with the team to the new flagship station.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant
    Could Merlin Media once again assume full-time ownership on the stations? Or perhaps a different company will take over 97.9 and 101.1.

Randy Michaels apparently told Radio Ink that the stations would indeed go back to his company; see https://radioink.com/2018/01/18/just-much-money-merlin-stations-losing and https://radioink.com/2018/01/18/cumulus-dumping-contracts-chicago (the latter apparently including just a basic paste-job of his quote from the other one).

Also, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention this morning’s main-site post here…

Cumulus Seeks To Cancel WLUP/WKQX LMA & Purchase; And Chicago PBP Deals

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

As an update, ICYMI, Friday’s second main-site post flags a Tribune interview where Mr. Michaels says that Merlin is able to take back full control of the stations–and that no format changes are planned…

Randy Michaels Explains What Will Happen With WKQX/WLUP

nickp91
    Participant

It will be interesting as to who will pick up the Sox  I never felt WLS was a good fit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php