Denny Sanders on WDLW

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

I heard the Morning Drive host on AM1380 WDLW mention how good Denny Sanders sounds in the afternoon.  I presume he’s talking about the afternoon drive shift.  If it’s the same Denny Sanders I’m thinking of, he was one to the high-powered, top-rated radio hosts during WMMS-FM’s glory days.

Participant

Sorry… I meant to type  OF the high-powered, top rated radio hosts during WMMS-FM’s glory days.

Participant

Checked the website, and yes, it is THE Denny Sanders.   Anyone know how long he has done Afternoon Drive there?

Participant

Denny just started on WDLW back on Monday (March 4)… co-owner/manager Lorie Wilber trumpeted his return on Facebook.

He apparently left Telos last year. It’s a spectacular move, Denny was long overdue for a return behind the microphone, and sounds as good as ever.

And WDLW started online streaming at wdlwradio.com, so others outside of Lorain County can be able to tune in reliably now.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

It’s great that when you click to listen to the station, it goes to a new page which also gives options to listen with a standalone player. For example, to listen in iTunes on a computer, click on the third icon with the Quicktime image (.m3u file) which will stream in iTunes. I use a Mac mainly but I think it should work the same in Windows. Many stations with an online presence only seem to stream directly from their web page.

Participant

I tuned in on my car radio for a bit yesterday afternoon.  Nice to hear his voice again.  Too bad the station is barely listenable in the Cleveland area.

Participant

I tuned in on my car radio for a bit yesterday afternoon. Nice to hear his voice again. Too bad the station is barely listenable in the Cleveland area.

That WDLW now streams and has a smartphone app being rolled out, it makes the terrestrial signal deficiencies of 1380/98.9 almost entirely moot.

In fact, WOBL, WDLW and WEOL/930 are all starting to hype 24/7 streaming on their smartphone apps. It’s how you get noticed now.

Participant

Participant

Wonder why he went back to radio?

Didn’t Denny work for Telos in Cleveland for years? (I think he did). If so, is he still with Telos?

Participant

Wonder why he went back to radio?

Didn’t Denny work for Telos in Cleveland for years? (I think he did). If so, is he still with Telos?

From what I’ve heard, Denny retired from Telos last year, so he was available to join the station. And he’s also a programming consultant for them. Very smart move.

Participant

Several years ago, WDLW and WELW (now WINT) in Willoughby were simulcasting.  It was an oldies format with former WMJI DJs Scott Howitt and Ravenna Miceli in their lineup.  I don’t think it lasted very long, maybe a year or so.

Participant

From what I recall, one of the stations… I think it was WELW … was in the process of becoming an expanded Oldies format.  While they set things up,  they simulcast WDLW.  When WELW went their own way, Ted Alexander was in the Morning Drive slot.  They stopped the Oldies at 3:00pm daily for co-owner Tony Petkovsek’s (sp?) Polka show.

Ted Alexander was great.  He would do things chronologically so you didn’t have clashes between a late 1950s song into something from the mid 1970s.  Ted would play music spanning the decades from 1954-1955 (the beginning of the Rock era) up to 1979-1980.  He would do this successfully by playing a song from, let’s say 1956, then one from 1959, then one from 1962, then a hit from 1965 … and so on.  After he played a mid to late 1970s piece, he’d start over again with a mid to late 1950s song and follow the chronological format again.  This was a good programming move, and showed dedication as it takes some planning to do it right.

Participant

Several years ago, WDLW and WELW (now WINT) in Willoughby were simulcasting. It was an oldies format with former WMJI DJs Scott Howitt and Ravenna Miceli in their lineup. I don’t think it lasted very long, maybe a year or so.

It lasted less than a month, in March 2003. Both stations only simulcast in mornings (WDLW’s then-morning host Rich Kelly) and middays (WELW’s Ted Alexander), both of which were originating in Oberlin. Ravenna was on WELW on Saturday afternoons at that time; the Scottster joined WELW when the WDLW/WELW simulcast died off.

While it was very short-lived, Ted donated to WDLW a copy of his entire “10,000 songs” oldies library in the process, which he’s also now using on WQGR 93.7.

It was almost a reverse of when Spirit Radio bought airtime during the daytime hours on WRKG 1380 in 1997 to simulcast WELW, which is how WDLW got their callsign (it’s mere coincidence that the calls are now an initialism for owners Doug and Lorie Wilber).

Participant

It’s good to see WDLW expanding.And I wish them the best.But with that comes some trade off.It’s already getting a little sickening hearing the new call out “Serving Lorain County,Cleveland and the World” every time the DJs open and close their mouths.I know they’re pushing their online streaming but come on now!That’s one problem with terrestrial radio in Cleveland….The first and last words out of the DJs mouths between songs and commercials are the stations call out.It’s like we know what channel we are listening to.We don’t need to be told every commercial break.That plus I’ve noticed WDLW is playing alot more mid 70’s burned out garbage music.And the commercial breaks are getting longer.If I want to hear “Dream Weaver” I’ll listen to it on 98.5 WNCX.To me garbage music like that has no place on a true oldies like WDLW used to be.I understand that the baby boomers like Denny Sanders are getting older now and that this is their type of music and they are the main demographic that they are going after now but to me the original WDLW oldies format has changed since Denny came on board.It’s probably the way it has to be,but I liked it the old way…..And I’m not a baby boomer.I’m 46.My parents raised me on Elvis and early rock n’ roll….The original stuff.So I know I’m in the minority here but that’s what I like.There were times when WDLW would play up to 10 vintage 1950’s songs in a row……Without interruption!Now you are lucky to get 3 in a row….If that!And then you have that new call out they are pushing now…..”Serving lorain County,Cleveland and the World.”….Sounds cheap to me.Probably something that Denny came up with as somebody posted that he is a consultant for them now.I know Denny is a local Cleveland legend and all but the 1970’s music just doesn’t do it for me.Sorry….I liked the DJ that was on WDLW before Denny came back.Wally Mintus was in Dennys time slot and was real good.Played alot of vintage 50’s and 60’s hits.Even some 40’s hits every now and then.He played some 70’s garbage junk but not enough to offend…..He’s been relegated to early mornings on Saturdays now…..1 day per week!…I don’t know if he was pushed out out or if it was his choice but Wally Mintus is missed on WDLW……But I do hope that WDLW succeeds….But it’s just not for me anymore…Thankfully that’s what Sirius Radio is for……50′ on 5 is just up my alley. Plus there are no DJs to listen to,just one hit after another.

Participant

How does WDLW on the far west side stack up against WQGR on the far east side if one has got to at least stream both stations?

(Also, I think Wally should have gotten more than just one day at ‘DLW.  Hopefully, that will change.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More

css.php