Do children listen To AM?

RadioInsight Community Forums General Topics DX & Reception Do children listen To AM?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

vchimpanzee
    Participant

This classic comic strip says they did at one time.

https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts-begins/2018/07/08

Mario500
    Participant

What did you mean by “AM” (I did not see any mentions of “AM” in the “comic strip”)?

limegrass69
    Participant

Short answer…NO

Other than play-by-play sports and a couple of major market all news stations, I don’t think AM exists to anyone under 55.

Beachguy
    Participant

I know lots of kids who are listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Goofy question.

Steve Green
    Participant

When 1560 in NYC was Radio Disney,   they would show up once in an indigo moon in the Westchester County book.

With something like a 0.4.

The Westchester book doesn’t exist anymore.   At least I haven’t seen one in a while.    WQEW 1560 used to send quite a signal that way,  day and night.   That had to be at least ten years ago.  And at the youngest,  those kids in the all-important 6-11 sales demo are now high school or college age.

Radio Disney,  of course,  has jettisoned many of their radio signals and gone on to concentrate on internet delivery.    In short,  children don’t even know what a ‘radio’ is today,   never mind where or what an AM dial is.

vchimpanzee
    Participant

What did you mean by “AM” (I did not see any mentions of “AM” in the “comic strip”)?

For one thing, FM is not known for having static. Charlie Brown was content with the static. And then there is the fact the strip is so old FM was not well known.

Curt Schwarzwalder
    Participant

Most of their entertainment is delivered via the internet.

Not only are they rarely exposed to broadcast radio (AM or FM), they rarely use broadcast TV.

In fact, the idea of  willingly consuming live, linear content would be puzzling to them.

Mike Raffone
    Participant

Better question: Does anyone read radio insight anymore?

Steve Green
    Participant

Hya, Mike.    Yes,  I do read the threads here,  plus on the other noted radio boards.   One of my recent problems ‘contributing’ (:-) was the difficulty signing in.

Yet I’ve been chiefly an AM DXer for decades.    There isn’t much turning back and re-thinking priorities at this point.   So to me,  the AM dial,   once my favorite idyllic fishing hole,   has dried up.

When I moved to NE PA 20+ years ago,  from near JFK Airport in Queens,  the ‘newer’ dial here was alive,  day and night.   Nowadays the noise is horrendous.   And the screeching cacophony of duplicated (and to me,  lame) nighttime syndicated racket referred to as ‘programming’ certainly hasn’t helped.    The AM dial sounds like 5000 monolithic conventioneers raising their signs at once.    No music.

The lethargy you rightfully suspect here is not peculiar just to here.    I noticed much interest in broadcast radio forums begin to wane,  noticeably,   when Arbitron stopped approving public release of *all* the 12+ numbers in markets andlimited the ‘information’ only about subscribing stations.

But that’s another discussion issue.

Look out kid … they keep it all hid …’   hi

Nathan Obral
    Participant

For one thing, FM is not known for having static. Charlie Brown was content with the static. And then there is the fact the strip is so old FM was not well known.

Yep. This strip was published in 1954. For some perspective, this was right as the first wave of popular music was starting to hit the AM dial and Alan Freed made the jump from Cleveland to New York. FM was barely a known thing even in the big cities.

A lot of Sparky’s early work – while surprisingly very biting in social commentary – admittedly now comes off as dated, this example is one of them.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php