Don Webster has died

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland Don Webster has died

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

skiwest
    Participant

MediaFan85
    Participant

Sad to read about his death.  Don is a legend, and he did virtually everything at WEWS, including manage the station.

skiwest
    Participant

I wonder if WEWS meteorologists will soon be forecasting from the Don Webster Weather Center?

vjm1
    Participant

I wonder if WEWS meteorologists will soon be forecasting from the Don Webster Weather Center?

They better name something after him…if they could name their studio and newsroom after Lee Jordan and Leon Bibb respectively, a TV 5 O.G. like Don Webster deserves at least what you suggested.

vjm1
    Participant

Sad to read about his death. Don is a legend, and he did virtually everything at WEWS, including manage the station.

Host of The Big 5 Show/Upbeat
    Longtime weeknight weatherman
    Host of the Ohio Lottery drawings
    Host of Academic Challenge
    Original host of the Morning Exchange
    Original co-host of Live on Five
    WEWS GM in the mid-late ’80s

About the only thing he didn’t do was sweep the floors.

Webster, Gib Shanley, Dorothy Fuldheim, and Ted Henry would make my WEWS Mount Rushmore.

RIP Don.

ryanzwol
    Participant

Webster did so much at the station (along with “Upbeat”, “The Ohio Lottery Show”, “Academic Challenge”. He was also a booth announcer for a short time (during the late 1960’s) along with weatherman (until 1999) and station manager (during the 1980’s) at WEWS), he even took over hosting on “The Gene Carroll Show” in 1972, when the shows original host passed away that year. RIP Don Webster, you will be missed.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Why they didn’t name anything after him while he was alive is baffling.

They better name something after him…if they could name their studio and newsroom after Lee Jordan and Leon Bibb respectively, a TV 5 O.G. like Don Webster deserves at least what you suggested.

Or at the very least far more than a collaborative plaque with the Rock Hall noting his contributions to both local television and rock music hosting “The Big 5 Show”/“Upbeat.” I mean, there’s also an Ohio Historical Society plaque recognizing Dorothy right outside the studios, which is to be expected, she was a legend and a trailblazer. But he did wayyy more than just that gig…

It’s also worth noting that Don passed away 51 years and three days after Otis Redding’s performance on Upbeat, which was his last public appearance before his tragic death (due to Upbeat being syndicated through bicycling, many of the affiliates likely carried that episode days or a week later).

Also, it’s sad that WEWS apparently never preserved any of the episodes of Upbeat. A few clips here and there exist, but that’s about it. I’m hoping the Spero family (Herman and son David) were able to save as much as they could.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php