Dyer County Country?

RI Community Forums Southeast Memphis Dyer County Country?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of firepoint525 firepoint525 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of firepoint525
    firepoint525
    Participant

Anotherguy, are you still here?  You know anything about this?  Apparently, the COL of this station is Dyer (NOT in Dyer County, of course), but they are still billing themselves as “Dyer County Country,” when, by looking at the coverage map, it appears to cover about as much of Gibson County as Dyer County.

http://www.943wdye.com/

Profile photo of charles57
    Charles Everett
    Participant

You’re thinking in terms of the 1960s. Think in terms of the 21st century.

Dyer County includes Dyersburg, which is beyond the reach of most stations from Memphis and Jackson. Better for Dyersburg to have a locally focused country station than to make people get their music out of market.

Ironically, WDYE replaces a relay of the Limbaugh/Hannity station in Jackson, so if you want Rush in Dyersburg you now have to hear him out of Memphis.

Profile photo of anotherguy
    anotherguy
    Participant

Sorry about taking so long to respond. I’m still having login problems. This is the first I’ve heard about this happening. The COL is Dyer, but the tower is actually closer to Newbern and is just barely inside Dyer County.
    94.3 had been part of the TJ network of news talk stations, which was a total waste of a frequency. They had almost always simulcast one of the Forever stations in the Jackson area and tried to market themselves as a Dyersburg area station, and has even carried Dyersburg High School sports at times.
    This is the first time I’ve known of them dong a separate format from any other station in the area. This will actually be the second country format in the area. Burks has had WTNV 97.3 for several years.

firepoint525
    Participant

You’re thinking in terms of the 1960s. Think in terms of the 21st century. Dyer County includes Dyersburg, which is beyond the reach of most stations from Memphis and Jackson. Better for Dyersburg to have a locally focused country station than to make people get their music out of market.

They have already had a local country station for many years, as Another guy pointed out.  My thinking is that calling it “Dyer County Country” automatically alienates anyone from outside Dyer County.  And I looked at the coverage map, and determined that roughly half of Dyer County is OUTSIDE  their primary coverage area.  So much for “locally focused.”

firepoint525
    Participant

Sorry about taking so long to respond. I’m still having login problems. This is the first I’ve heard about this happening. The COL is Dyer, but the tower is actually closer to Newbern and is just barely inside Dyer County. 94.3 had been part of the TJ network of news talk stations, which was a total waste of a frequency. They had almost always simulcast one of the Forever stations in the Jackson area and tried to market themselves as a Dyersburg area station, and has even carried Dyersburg High School sports at times. This is the first time I’ve known of them dong a separate format from any other station in the area. This will actually be the second country format in the area. Burks has had WTNV 97.3 for several years.

Yes, far better to have a local respond, than some out-of-town know-it-all.  Their COL is Dyer, and it looks like their transmitter site is near Yorkville.  Dyersburg, Newbern, Trimble, and Fowlkes appear to be in their primary coverage area in Dyer County, as well as Obion and Troy in Obion County, and most of the towns along 45W in Gibson County.  Looks like you could get the station in secondary coverage in the remainder of Obion, Dyer, and Gibson Counties, and maybe Crockett County as well.
    Country is probably the best format for such a rural area, but we know that the Eagle is already flying over Dyersburg.  And anyone who says that you can’t receive Jackson stations in Dyersburg has obviously never lived in that area.  A lot of radio (particularly on FM) is much more regional now anyway.  SL-100 proved that for many years.
    anotherguy
    Participant

94.3 has been around since the early 90’s. They originally simulcast WLSZ 105.5 in Humboldt (CHR then alternative), then WOGY Froggy 104 in Jackson (country), WLLI 1190 in Humboldt (country), and WTJS 1390 in Jackson (news/talk). They’ve never done anything on their own before. I’m not a big country music fan, but anything is better than news/talk. And I agree that they could have come up with a better name, like maybe West Tennesee Country.

firepoint525
    Participant

I am not that big of a fan of country myself, but it IS a rural area.   Aside from the Eagle, this is not the first attempt at an FM country station in Dyersburg.  The Trenton station that is now Jackson move-in JJ97.7 attempted to establish a secondary studio on the southeast side of the court square in Dyersburg.  I am guessing that that didn’t last long.  That was in the ’80s.

My guess is that if “Dyer County Country” can’t compete with the Eagle, they would likely flip to AC, the next most likely format for a semi-rural area.  At any rate, I give the “Dyer County Country” name a year, before they must broaden their horizons in order to sell advertising in neighboring counties.

And isn’t WTRO a Rush affiliate?  At least they were, back when I lived there.  So much for having to dial up Memphis to hear him, as Charles suggested.  (I haven’t been able to find any information about him or Sean on their website.)

anotherguy
    Participant

Rush hasn’t been on WTRO for several years. Their only talk show now is Party Line, their Swap & Shop show that has been on for as long as I can remember.

I agree that AC will probably be the next best choice if country doesn’t work.

firepoint525
    Participant

Wow, looks like I was right.  “Dyer County Country” didn’t quite make it a year!

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/110356/wtjs-drops-newstalk-for-classic-country/

Although I was apparently wrong about it eventually switching to AC.

firepoint525
    Participant

Above link at the top of this thread now redirects here:

http://www.radiowillie.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar