Easy 95.1 / 920 WMNI.

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Columbus Easy 95.1 / 920 WMNI.

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  xmusicmatt 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

xmusicmatt
    Participant

Friend pointed this out to me but 95.1 is now on the air as a translator for AM 920 WMNI.

http://www.wmni.com/

They rebranded as “Easy 95.1 and 920 WMNI”

From their website “WMNI is transitioning from a traditional Adult Standards format to “Vintage” Adult Contemporary as “Easy 95.1 FM and AM 920 WMNI”.

While the station will still highlight “Timeless Classics” from artists like, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole, a much greater emphasis will be placed on light rock and pop favorites from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, including artists like, Neil Diamond, Carole King, Billy Joel, James Taylor, The Beatles, Elton John and Chicago to name a few.”

schmave
    Participant

Sounds pretty good out here in Reynoldsburg, where the AM can be tough to hear in some areas daytime and even worse at night. Might actually be able to listen to the Clippers now!
    WMNI, to me, is the perfect situation for a translator: An FM signal that sounds good in areas the subpar AM signal (in every direction but north) doesn’t reach.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

WMNI, to me, is the perfect situation for a translator: An FM signal that sounds good in areas the subpar AM signal (in every direction but north) doesn’t reach.

Agreed and they don’t appear to be shying away from promoting the AM – like some of these FM translators do once they sign on. They are IDing both 95.1 and 920 WMNI in their new imaging.. Can’t say that for Kiss 105.3 up the dial – iHeart does not mention 1230 at all outside of the legal ID call letters.

schmave
    Participant

Drove to Worthington and back tonight and while WMNI took some interference on 95.1 from WVXG, it ruled the roost all the way around the outerbelt (at least every time I checked).

vchimpanzee
    Participant

It gets confusing when a station like this is called “soft adult contemporary”.  The description I read sounds a lot like Westwood One adult standards. However, that format does lean heavily toward standards if it’s a good day. On bad days, with all the new songs that format has added, it sounds like soft adult contemporary, all right, with the standards never quite going away.

gabigley1
    Participant

It gets confusing when a station like this is called “soft adult contemporary”. The description I read sounds a lot like Westwood One adult standards. However, that format does lean heavily toward standards if it’s a good day. On bad days, with all the new songs that format has added, it sounds like soft adult contemporary, all right, with the standards never quite going away.

Confusing to me because some of the music they play would also be played on a true Oldies station. Not to mention the standards and adult standards. Maybe they don’t know what they want yet? The AUDIO processing does sounds very good to me!

xmusicmatt
    Participant

The AUDIO processing does sounds very good to me!

Yep and I am impressed they have Artist – Title streaming on their RDS too!

knowbetter
    Participant

It gets confusing when a station like this is called “soft adult contemporary”. The description I read sounds a lot like Westwood One adult standards. However, that format does lean heavily toward standards if it’s a good day. On bad days, with all the new songs that format has added, it sounds like soft adult contemporary, all right, with the standards never quite going away.

Confusing to me because some of the music they play would also be played on a true Oldies station. Not to mention the standards and adult standards. Maybe they don’t know what they want yet? The AUDIO processing does sounds very good to me!
    Musically, they sound the same to me, as they have for a while…They simply added the FM translator, which I think is a good thing.  Yes, the audio does sound really good, I thought that when I heard it too.  I agree with the folks who say they seem to have embraced the “expected spirit” of the AM Revitalization mantra, actually using it to enhance their current AM station, rather than to throw it away, and do something else. they deserve many KUDO’s for that!!

schmave
    Participant

Looks like 95X is tired of the interference caused by WMNI …

Help 95.1 FM

The thing is, 95X had to know this was coming, right? I am surprised this hadn’t happened before now. While 95X is getting clobbered within 30 miles of its tower and is understandably upset about it, it’s not like this is some pirate signal taking a chunk of their listening area away (a chunk of their fringe areas at that). I think WQTT has an even better reason to be upset given that the 96.7 LPFM renders it unlistenable across much of Columbus for half the day, even in areas that should get WQTT without much issue.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

I think WQTT has an even better reason to be upset given that the 96.7 LPFM renders it unlistenable across much of Columbus for half the day, even in areas that should get WQTT without much issue.

The only thing is – 96.7 out of Marysville shouldn’t be worried about serving Columbus it’s a translator meant to target Marysville – and if you look at FCC coverage maps should not be reaching Columbus at all – so the 96.7 LPFM is the one that’s really taking the hit not them when it comes to interference. (And was on 96.7 before QT decided to move their frequency). After all WQTT’s translator could stayed on 98.7 as it did reach Marysville without issue – there was no real reason for them to move to 96.7.

Gotta feeling NABCO (Owners of WMNI) won’t take this one lying down in regards to the issue with 95.1.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

schmave
    Participant

I think WQTT has an even better reason to be upset given that the 96.7 LPFM renders it unlistenable across much of Columbus for half the day, even in areas that should get WQTT without much issue.

The only thing is – 96.7 out of Marysville shouldn’t be worried about serving Columbus it’s a translator meant to target Marysville – and if you look at FCC coverage maps should not be reaching Columbus at all – so the 96.7 LPFM is the one that’s really taking the hit not them when it comes to interference. (And was on 96.7 before QT decided to move their frequency). After all WQTT’s translator could stayed on 98.7 as it did reach Marysville without issue – there was no real reason for them to move to 96.7.

Gotta feeling NABCO (Owners of WMNI) won’t take this one lying down in regards to the issue with 95.1.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Good points, although WQTT has to know they have listeners in Columbus who are affected by the issue. We’ve discussed the move, but do we know why they moved to 96.7 in the first place?
    The thing with that mutual interference, at least for me, is that there don’t seem to be many areas where the signals fight each other. It always seems to be one or the other when I’m driving around with very little in-between.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

Good points, although WQTT has to know they have listeners in Columbus who are affected by the issue. We’ve discussed the move, but do we know why they moved to 96.7 in the first place?
    The thing with that mutual interference, at least for me, is that there don’t seem to be many areas where the signals fight each other. It always seems to be one or the other when I’m driving around with very little in-between.

No one knows except ICS why they decided to move frequencies. It will be interesting if they do start to fight for 96.7 too because the Hispanic LPFM is nearing signing on soon from my understanding (the other time share on 96.7)

At some point they will have a battle with Percy and SANDBLAST, L.P. when 92.9 gets built to be a translator for AM 1580 WVKO.

The dial is so crowded as is already so these interference claims are going to be the new norm. There was similar issues when 104.5 was signing on air for WRFD but WLOH let it pass because their target is Lancaster not Columbus (and they have no desire to serve Columbus).

xmusicmatt
    Participant

One might have said the same about 590 WVLK Lexington, KY and their former 101.1 translator.

Understood – I don’t see NABCO just giving up easily though… I guess time will tell how the FCC will go on this one. Is satellite fed classic rock that popular? Will enough people make noise that will make a case for the FCC.

gabigley1
    Participant
    THANK you for posting this and here is the link to file an complaint with the FCC: https://951rocks.com/help951/
    Like you said, this will go no where because listeners also have Q96 to listen to for classic rock and they won’t make much noise.   When I read this post, my thought is 95X has to be kidding us! Good luck to them because NABCO will not likely take this complaint lightly. 95X does have the right to complain but this will go no where.

schmave
    Participant

I agree nothing will happen. If 95X was taking substantial interference within its primary coverage area, then yes, there’s a better chance something would happen. This interference is on its fringe where, and this is purely my guess, next to no one is listening anyway (unlike WDLR and WQTT, I can’t think of any really unique programming 95X offers that you can’t hear on a Columbus station).
    That is not to say you couldn’t formerly hear a decent signal in the Polaris or Westerville areas, because you could. I even heard it occasionally here in Reynoldsburg, but never well enough to listen for any sustained period of time.
    But again, I would be very surprised if 95X did not know WMNI was planning to fire up a translator on the same frequency long ago. If they didn’t complain then, then that’s on them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php