Entercom Charlotte Honors WBT's 95th Anniversary

RadioInsight Community Forums Southeast Charlotte Entercom Charlotte Honors WBT's 95th Anniversary

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  vchimpanzee 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Bill Recto
    Participant

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n34050

An achievement for a radio station to reach though.

Entercom Charlotte is celebrating the 95th anniversary of WBT-AM (1110). The anniversary commemorated the station’s long history as Charlotte’s destination for News/Talk and included the induction announcement of Ray Gooding, Henry Boggan and John Hancock into the WBT Hall of Fame. The station also aired special programming highlighting key moments in WBT-AM’s 95 year history.

WBT Hall of Fame inductee John Hancock joined WBT in 1990 and is a passionate community leader and raises awareness and funds for community issues through his annual Pancake Breakfast and Bike Drive events as well as his continued partnership with the Kid’s First Charity. He is well known for his annual Father’s Day program and is a celebrated member of the Charlotte community and one of the most respected on air personalities in the city. Hancock currently airs weekdays from 3-6pm on WBT-AM.

Another WBT Hall of Fame inductee, Ray Gooding, was one of the first African American air personalities in Charlotte. He began his career in 1960 and joined WBT in 1971 as the host of the “The Sunday Night Hall of Fame.” In addition to hosting the Sunday night music show for 24 years, Gooding also served as WBT’s director of public affairs for over 10 years. His “Penny Pitch” charity raised funds for underprivileged children in the Charlotte area. Gooding died in 2007 leaving behind a legacy in the world of Charlotte radio.

Henry Boggan, the third WBT Hall of Fame inductee announced, joined WBT in 1979 as the host of the nighttime talk show “Hello Henry.” Boggan featured celebrities and special guests as well as listeners from the local community and became a staple in the city of Charlotte. His program was on-air for 17 years until Boggan’s retirement in 1996.

Mike704
    Participant

I heard it, what a good show and commercial free at that.

It was my pleasure to work on air at WBT from 1985-1990 as a utility player.  First overnight before Larry King came over and ended “After Hours” oldies, then vacation fill and various weekend time slots.  There were many memorable moments working with real radio pros.  I don’t know how I got so lucky, right place, right time.  I came over from WSOC-AM where I had been doing afternoons for  4 years.   No one remembers I was there, but I do!  Henry Bogan was amazing and for a time I was on before and after Rockin’ Ray Sunday night. It was always a treat to see Ray.  He was always upbeat and positive.  He had so much energy and loved being on the air talking to people.  Great communicators  and I got to see it from the inside.  I miss these guys and those days but the memories are with me.

vchimpanzee
    Participant

Henry Boggan also did afternoons on WNMX late in the 90s.

I know it was after October 1997 because he wasn’t part of their New Coke/Edsel format which I emailed them about with the subject line “vchimpanzee” (typo, but the rest is history).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php