Football announcers

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

You know, we have a couple of 20 year pairings on local airwaves calling football games on the radio

This is Jim Donovan and Doug Dieken’s 20th season as the Browns broadcast team, being there since the team returned in 1999 (of course Dieken also called games from 1985-95 in the pre-move years).

Meanwhile, Paul Keels and Jim Lachey are in their 21st season calling Buckeyes games, having been first paired up in 1998 (Lachey was there a year previous as commentator, giving him 22 years on the mic).

Oh, how the fortunes for these broadcast teams have differed:

Keels and Lachey have called a pair of National Championship winning games and numerous bowl games, while Donovan and Dieken…well let’s just say there will be a special place in Heaven for them after enduring what they’ve been witness to.

Participant

Jim Donovan said the other day that his family lived 3 doors down from Whitey Bolger when he was a kid. (Probably the safest neighborhood block in Boston?) But he also won a battle vs. leukemia, didn’t he? Getting the Browns play-by-play gig after Nev Chandler and Casey Coleman now seems eerily jinxed. Guess that Boston strong Irish Catholic upbringing with Nuns rapping his knuckles with a ruler as a kid served him well since he’s survived the curse and flourished here.

Terry Smith was the sports director at WBNS and the voice of the Buckeyes before Keels, wasn’t he? I believe he went out west and was working in LA last I heard. Funny thing, Paul Keels had the Michigan football radio job long before he broadcast Buckeye games. I’ve never seen or read him comment on having worked both sides of the rivalry. He must have some good stories to tell because Bo and Woody were still coaching when he did Michigan games.

Participant

Jim Donovan said the other day that his family lived 3 doors down from Whitey Bolger when he was a kid. (Probably the safest neighborhood block in Boston?) But he also won a battle vs. leukemia, didn’t he? Getting the Browns play-by-play gig after Nev Chandler and Casey Coleman now seems eerily jinxed. Guess that Boston strong Irish Catholic upbringing with Nuns rapping his knuckles with a ruler as a kid served him well since he’s survived the curse and flourished here.

Terry Smith was the sports director at WBNS and the voice of the Buckeyes before Keels, wasn’t he? I believe he went out west and was working in LA last I heard. Funny thing, Paul Keels had the Michigan football radio job long before he broadcast Buckeye games. I’ve never seen or read him comment on having worked both sides of the rivalry. He must have some good stories to tell because Bo and Woody were still coaching when he did Michigan games.

Wow…you’re right about the jinx on Browns announcers…Chandler, Coleman, and Donovan all had battles with various forms of cancer, with JD (thank God) beating it.

Last I checked, Terry Smith was doing radio play by play for the LA Angels.

Keels did do Michigan games in his younger days, but Woody was long gone from OSU when he started (Bo was still around though)

Keels also in recent years has done a side gig calling some Reds games on Fox Sports Ohio.

Participant
    vjm1 wrote:
    Wow…you’re right about the jinx on Browns announcers…Chandler, Coleman, and Donovan all had battles with various forms of cancer, with JD (thank God) beating it.
    And also Jim Graner if you want to go back a little farther.

Participant

Jim Donovan said the other day that his family lived 3 doors down from Whitey Bolger when he was a kid. (Probably the safest neighborhood block in Boston?) But he also won a battle vs. leukemia, didn’t he? Getting the Browns play-by-play gig after Nev Chandler and Casey Coleman now seems eerily jinxed. Guess that Boston strong Irish Catholic upbringing with Nuns rapping his knuckles with a ruler as a kid served him well since he’s survived the curse and flourished here. Terry Smith was the sports director at WBNS and the voice of the Buckeyes before Keels, wasn’t he? I believe he went out west and was working in LA last I heard. Funny thing, Paul Keels had the Michigan football radio job long before he broadcast Buckeye games. I’ve never seen or read him comment on having worked both sides of the rivalry. He must have some good stories to tell because Bo and Woody were still coaching when he did Michigan games.

Wow…you’re right about the jinx on Browns announcers…Chandler, Coleman, and Donovan all had battles with various forms of cancer, with JD (thank God) beating it

So……proof that the Browns cause cancer? Or just a cancer on the Northeast Ohio area?
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php