Football on the Radio 2019

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

Kinda snuck up on us didn’t it?

But it’s that time of year again, so here’s who will be airing football this year on the local airwaves:

*NFL*

Of course the Browns will be on flagships WKNR ESPN 850, WKRK 92.3 The Fan, and WNCX 98.5. As well as longtime Akron outlets WAKR 1590 and WONE 97.5, and Canton affiliates WHBC AM 1480/FM 94.1

WKRK will also air the nationally syndicated NFL on Westwood One, featuring Sunday/Monday/Thursday Night Football, the playoffs, and the Super Bowl.

*College*

THE Ohio State Buckeyes will be on their longtime local outlets of WKNR (Cleveland), WAKR (Akron) WHBC-AM (Canton), and WEOL AM 930 (Lorain County)

In the MAC, The Akron Zips will be on flagship WARF Fox Sports 1350 Akron and Cleveland affiliate WHK 1420 The Answer. The Kent State Golden Flashes will be on flagship WHLO 640 Akron, The Bowling Green Falcons will be on Cleveland home WHKW 1220 The Word, and the Toledo Rockets will be on longtime Cleveland affiliate WJMO Praise 1300

A little closer to home, the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets will air on WBWC FM 88.3, and the John Carroll Blue Streaks will air on WJCU FM 88.7

WKNR will air ESPN Radio’s national slate of games (including the major bowls and National Championship), while WKRK will air the Westwood One national games

*High School*

WKNR will do their traditional High School Hysteria game of the week on Friday nights, WCCR AM 1260 The Rock will air games featuring parochial schools, WEOL will cover schools from Lorain County, and WARF covers schools from Akron/Summit County

Participant

WHBC/1480 in Canton will continue their high school coverage, including some streaming games.

WDJQ/92.5 in Alliance/Canton will again cover Canton-area schools and provide streaming coverage. Sister station WDPN/1310 will primarily focus on Alliance-area schools and cover The University Of Mount Union Purple Raiders.

Participant

WEOL (Am930 and 100.3 FM will have 2 streaming games along with their over the air game, that will also be streamed. One of them will probably be the Medina County match up.

Participant

I’m told it’s WHBC Canton’s 75th anniversary of high school sports.

Participant

I’ve heard promos mentioning this, but I can’t help but wonder if it’s a mistake. WHBC certainly aired high school football prior to 1944, though I don’t know how many games per season. Longtime sports director Jim Muzzy was there beginning in 1941, and was preceded in that role by Joe Wilson for a couple of years.

I’m told it’s WHBC Canton’s 75th anniversary of high school sports.

Participant

Kinda snuck up on us didn’t it? But it’s that time of year again, so here’s who will be airing football this year on the local airwaves: *NFL* Of course the Browns will be on flagships WKNR ESPN 850, WKRK 92.3 The Fan, and WNCX 98.5. As well as longtime Akron outlets WAKR 1590 and WONE 97.5, and Canton affiliates WHBC AM 1480/FM 94.1 WKRK will also air the nationally syndicated NFL on Westwood One, featuring Sunday/Monday/Thursday Night Football, the playoffs, and the Super Bowl. *College* THE Ohio State Buckeyes will be on their longtime local outlets of WKNR (Cleveland), WAKR (Akron) WHBC-AM (Canton), and WEOL AM 930 (Lorain County) In the MAC, The Akron Zips will be on flagship WARF Fox Sports 1350 Akron and Cleveland affiliate WHK 1420 The Answer. The Kent State Golden Flashes will be on flagship WHLO 640 Akron, The Bowling Green Falcons will be on Cleveland home WHKW 1220 The Word, and the Toledo Rockets will be on longtime Cleveland affiliate WJMO Praise 1300 A little closer to home, the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets will air on WBWC FM 88.3, and the John Carroll Blue Streaks will air on WJCU FM 88.7 WKNR will air ESPN Radio’s national slate of games (including the major bowls and National Championship), while WKRK will air the Westwood One national games *High School* WKNR will do their traditional High School Hysteria game of the week on Friday nights, WCCR AM 1260 The Rock will air games featuring parochial schools, WEOL will cover schools from Lorain County, and WARF covers schools from Akron/Summit County

Praise 1300 is also on 94.5 FM.

Participant

The Browns Radio deal is ending at the end of this season.

I would be shocked if Good Karma and WKNR remain a tagalong into 2020. Joe Banner and Alec Schiener, who insisted on an AM partner, left the team four regimes ago. Moreover, Entercom is much more aggressive with sports play-by-play than CBS Radio ever was (look at their massive re-upping with the Golden State Warriors on KGMZ) and could offer the Browns a 24/7 streaming channel on their Radio.com platform that can rerun Browns Daily and other team shows endlessly, negating the need for ol’ 850.

Plus with all the prime-time games, that will expose WKNR’s major problem: their nighttime pattern is highly directional and utterly useless outside of Cuyahoga County. When you cross over into eastern Lorain County, forget it.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

I would be shocked if Good Karma and WKNR remain a tagalong into 2020. Joe Banner and Alec Schiener, who insisted on an AM partner, left the team four regimes ago. Moreover, Entercom is much more aggressive with sports play-by-play than CBS Radio ever was (look at their massive re-upping with the Golden State Warriors on KGMZ) and could offer the Browns a 24/7 streaming channel on their Radio.com platform that can rerun Browns Daily and other team shows endlessly, negating the need for ol’ 850.

Plus with all the prime-time games, that will expose WKNR’s major problem: their nighttime pattern is highly directional and utterly useless outside of Cuyahoga County. When you cross over into eastern Lorain County, forget it.

You think iHeart is completely out of the running, or will they take another shot at it?

Can’t assume anything about anything, so nothing would shock me at this point as to how the cookie crumbles here.

Participant

You think iHeart is completely out of the running, or will they take another shot at it?

Can’t assume anything about anything, so nothing would shock me at this point as to how the cookie crumbles here.

Technically the Browns have an iHeart station as an affiliate again: KAKC in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

If the Browns want to actively rebuild their radio network, they probably should return to iHeart. They’ll lose their Youngstown affiliate once WHKZ 1440 becomes a Relevant Radio O&O, their Columbus affiliate is a Salem conservatalker with no ratings and their Erie PA affiliation switched to a business/lifestyle talker owned by the Penn State regional extension office.

That being said, Entercom is going to pull out all the stops to keep the team on 92.3/98.5 and have the flagship distinction all to themselves this time. They are and should still be the prohibitive favorite.

Participant

850 is likely out the Browns net because of its AMness. I still puzzle why they changed from a pefectly good 10k/5kw set up to the 50k/4k deal with such poor nighttime coverage. So you can hear them during the  day in Detroit. Does that help them sell commercials?

Participant

850 is likely out the Browns net because of its AMness. I still puzzle why they changed from a pefectly good 10k/5kw set up to the 50k/4k deal with such poor nighttime coverage. So you can hear them during the day in Detroit. Does that help them sell commercials?

WKNR was damn lucky to piggyback onto the rights deal as Alec Scheiner was bullish on AM radio for some inexplicable reason.

AM 850 was one of many AM stations that did an upgrade to 50kW daytime when the window opened up in the 1990s. And remember, it was still WRMR, with a standards format, and (until 1998) locally owned.

Ted Alexander (who built the current array) told me once that the current night pattern is virtually the same as the old night pattern under the original 1959 configuration, the one difference being that the new 4.7kW equaled the original 5kW in terms of signal strength.

Suburban sprawl’s what made 850’s night signal obsolete.

Participant

The WDJQ Sports website http://q92radiosports.com lists all of the games they will be streaming (which is a LOT of games, 7 games this opening weekend!)  They do not indicate which of those games will air on the radio station itself.  Their sister station does not list anywhere on its website that it broadcasts HS Football.  Is there a schedule of games they intend to air this season available online anywhere?

Participant

WCCR also does not have any indication their website that they broadcast HS Football.  Do they have a schedule available anywhere of games they are broadcasting this season?

Participant

Technically the Browns have an iHeart station as an affiliate again: KAKC in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

If the Browns want to actively rebuild their radio network, they probably should return to iHeart. They’ll lose their Youngstown affiliate once WHKZ 1440 becomes a Relevant Radio O&O, their Columbus affiliate is a Salem conservatalker with no ratings and their Erie PA affiliation switched to a business/lifestyle talker owned by the Penn State regional extension office.

That being said, Entercom is going to pull out all the stops to keep the team on 92.3/98.5 and have the flagship distinction all to themselves this time. They are and should still be the prohibitive favorite.

At first, I was puzzled as to why OK would have an affiliate, then it dawned on me – Baker Mayfield.

Kinda like WOHF 92.1 in the Vacationland area being a Steelers affiliate (NW Ohio native son Ben Rothlesberger)

I can see something where iHeart does a WTAM/WMJI/WGAR triplecast of the Browns (with any conflicting Tribe/Cavs games airing on WMMS as usual). Hopefully in any new deal, “Cleveland Browns Daily” will become a thing of the past (main reason WKNR is a tag along with Entercom is their willingness to air 2 daily hours of Berea propaganda) because I can’t see iHeart or Entercom wanting that albatross around their necks.

Not making any predictions, just pointing out iHeart does have some chips to play with if they want to get back in the game and resume having “all the balls”.

Participant

WCCR also does not have any indication their website that they broadcast HS Football. Do they have a schedule available anywhere of games they are broadcasting this season?

WCCR is not carrying high school football this season. I asked about HS Football at a volunteer picnic held at the station last month.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More

css.php