Formats Needed and Not Needed in Cleveland

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

This is an interesting discussion I thought would be a cool one to start.

I think Cleveland radio should have these formats for listeners not being served:

Rhythmic CHR (for those who are not into mainstream Urban or CHR 24/7, but don’t mind a little of each)

Rhythmic AC (to break away from WZAK, New 102 and the more Rock-oriented Lake)

Soft AC (with 102 sounding more like Q and also The Wave not quite cutting it for a lot of listeners, I think a station similar to Easy 98.1 in San Diego could work in the North Coast)

True Oldies (50’s through early 70’s – with WMJI adjusting the decades more and more, this could be a good format to put on AM.)

Talk on FM (another outlet for talk other than WTAM, and with more people tuning to FM, why not?)

Spanish (with the growing Hispanic population, there is a need for a station catering to an audience not served outside of college radio)

I wouldn’t mind hearing Air 1 on a wider signal instead of a transmitter.

Here’s what’s not needed:

Overload of syndicated programming. That says cheap and “I give up!”

5 or 6 stations playing Bon Jovi and Journey among other rock groups. I get that they’re popular, but there’s so of them I could take.

3 or 4 stations playing the same songs from Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Pink among others. Again, popular, but too much. (I just realized that some of my format ideas include these artists, but in moderation is fine)

It’ll be interesting to see what radio will bring in 2014 and beyond.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MediaFan85 wrote:</div>Spanish (with the growing Hispanic population, there is a need for a station catering to an audience not served outside of college radio)

I can only comment on this suggestion: with a roughly 5% Hispanic population in the MSA, and the fairly usual 55% to 60% of that population now being English dominant, the cume potential for a Spanish language station is well below 40,000 and not enough for survival.

Keep in mind that Spanish is a language, not a format. In Cleveland, with a mix of persons from Mexico and Central America and those from the Caribbean, no single format will attract all the Spanish speakers, so the cume potential is even lower than the raw numbers indicate.

Even if such a station sells without ratings, a small audience means small results for advertisers.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>davideduardo wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MediaFan85 wrote:</div>Spanish (with the growing Hispanic population, there is a need for a station catering to an audience not served outside of college radio)

I can only comment on this suggestion: with a roughly 5% Hispanic population in the MSA, and the fairly usual 55% to 60% of that population now being English dominant, the cume potential for a Spanish language station is well below 40,000 and not enough for survival.

Keep in mind that Spanish is a language, not a format. In Cleveland, with a mix of persons from Mexico and Central America and those from the Caribbean, no single format will attract all the Spanish speakers, so the cume potential is even lower than the raw numbers indicate.

Even if such a station sells without ratings, a small audience means small results for advertisers.

I see your point. I was thinking increasing population all over the U.S. in a few years. Could translators or AM serve different audiences relating to the language? I would love to see the local media show some more support.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MediaFan85 wrote:</div>This is an interesting discussion I thought would be a cool one to start.

I think Cleveland radio should have these formats for listeners not being served:

Rhythmic CHR (for those who are not into mainstream Urban or CHR 24/7, but don’t mind a little of each)

Soft AC (with 102 sounding more like Q and also The Wave not quite cutting it for a lot of listeners, I think a station similar to Easy 98.1 in San Diego could work in the North Coast)

True Oldies (50′s through early 70′s – with WMJI adjusting the decades more and more, this could be a good format to put on AM.)

Talk on FM (another outlet for talk other than WTAM, and with more people tuning to FM, why not?)

Spanish (with the growing Hispanic population, there is a need for a station catering to an audience not served outside of college radio)

5 or 6 stations playing Bon Jovi and Journey among other rock groups. I get that they’re popular, but there’s so of them I could take.

3 or 4 stations playing the same songs from Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Pink among others. Again, popular, but too much. (I just realized that some of my format ideas include these artists, but in moderation is fine)

WNWV should have been more like Easy 98.1 from the get-go, but their ties to Broadcast Architecture kinda prevent that from happening.

WDLW in Lorain has been doing the real oldies format for 11 years now, and they have been quite successful. It’s a shame they don’t stream. Their prior format was a tropical-driven salsa format (Lorain has a significant Puerto Rican population) that had listeners, but just couldn’t attract any advertiser support outside of Lorain proper. Some hours were reserved on Sunday afternoons amidst their ethnic programming for the salsa format, so it wasn’t a total abandonment.

If Q104 went with a rhythmic CHR approach, and WDOK evolved to more of an AC/adult CHR mix (and ditch the not-so-“New102” name, please?) it just could work.

The Lake’s imaging and format execution is still excellent at it was on day one. I occasionally sample Jack FM in Columbus (utilizing the Westwood One-delivered national rendition of the format, with local customization) and The Lake’s presentation is just as good as Howard Cogan’s imaging for Jack. Those qualities keep me listening to both stations, even as the music mix leans too 80s-heavy for my tastes. It would be nice to see other stations try to take that approach to imaging and presentation.

The Cleveland market is also kinda lucky in that we haven’t been totally subjected to Premiere Choice programming as much as we could be. 99X is, AFAIK, the only CC Cleveland/Akron/Canton station to use Premiere Choice programming for literally all dayparts, which considering what it IS, it makes sense. Even WKDD has both Kasper and Krissy Taylor, who do airshifts specifically for WKDD and could be counted as “local” if you want to split hairs that way.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

Nathan and David Eduardo make a very good point…the Spanish-speaking population in the Cleveland market is spread far apart and is not homogenous.

Thus, you have what you have…small stations trying to superserve areas with Spanish speakers, such as WNZN/89.1, a non-comm rimshot into its COL of Lorain, and the weekend programming on WDLW.

Over on the east side of town, you have non-comm WHWN/88.3 “La Nueva Mia” Painesville.

A full market Spanish-language FM station is just not in the cards for Cleveland any time soon.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Nathan Obral wrote:Even WKDD has both Kasper and Krissy Taylor, who do airshifts specifically for WKDD and could be counted as “local” if you want to split hairs that way.

Well, when they were here, presumably Kasper and Mrs. Kasper lived well within the signal range of 98.1.

Kinda hard to get WKDD (except online) in Richmond, tho 😉

Just heard a change is on the way.
    David Eduardo we may soon know.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>oliverruiz wrote:</div>Just heard a change is on the way.<br>
    David Eduardo we may soon know.

Is this in regards to the Spanish programming?

Hmm..I wonder what this change could be…

Maybe Cleveland could use an urban AC/ Urban oldies to compete with WZAK

Well it’s official Cleveland will have It’s first Spanish Station Jan 1st. Good call!

Participant

Definitely a late 50s thru early-mid 70s oldies station….tho it would almost certainly be on AM. 580 from Windsor is decent but gets weak below Akron during the day and doesn’t cover this area at all at night. AM740 in Toronto plays some oldies, but mixes in too many “standards,big band, etc”. That leaves us with WKVX-Wooster, with a challenged nite signal and WDLW-Lorain with a weak signal in Cleveland and Akron. Thus the need.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>oliverruiz wrote:</div>Well it’s official Cleveland will have It’s first Spanish Station Jan 1st. Good call!

Cleveland will have a Spanish-language station… for only a year, then it (along with WLFM-LP/6’s analog signal) goes bye-bye.

Maybe the operators, whomever they are, can prove that a Spanish-language station can succeed in that limited timeframe. It might, but again, what might sell in Lorain may not sell in Painesville or in pockets of Cleveland’s West Side.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

I guess Alternative can be added to the list of formats needed.

Perhaps 99X on a stronger frequency (cough – WMMS – cough) or Radio 92.3 makes a comeback with The Fan on 98.5?

Wishful thinking on my part.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Nathan Obral wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MediaFan85 wrote:</div>This is an interesting discussion I thought would be a cool one to start.

True Oldies (50′s through early 70′s – with WMJI adjusting the decades more and more, this could be a good format to put on AM.)

WNWV should have been more like Easy 98.1 from the get-go, but their ties to Broadcast Architecture kinda prevent that from happening.

WDLW in Lorain has been doing the real oldies format for 11 years now, and they have been quite successful. It’s a shame they don’t stream. Their prior format was a tropical-driven salsa format (Lorain has a significant Puerto Rican population) that had listeners, but just couldn’t attract any advertiser support outside of Lorain proper. Some hours were reserved on Sunday afternoons amidst their ethnic programming for the salsa format, so it wasn’t a total abandonment.

If Q104 went with a rhythmic CHR approach, and WDOK evolved to more of an AC/adult CHR mix (and ditch the not-so-”New102″ name, please?) it just could work.

The Lake’s imaging and format execution is still excellent at it was on day one. I occasionally sample Jack FM in Columbus (utilizing the Westwood One-delivered national rendition of the format, with local customization) and The Lake’s presentation is just as good as Howard Cogan’s imaging for Jack. Those qualities keep me listening to both stations, even as the music mix leans too 80s-heavy for my tastes. It would be nice to see other stations try to take that approach to imaging and presentation.

The Cleveland market is also kinda lucky in that we haven’t been totally subjected to Premiere Choice programming as much as we could be. 99X is, AFAIK, the only CC Cleveland/Akron/Canton station to use Premiere Choice programming for literally all dayparts, which considering what it IS, it makes sense. Even WKDD has both Kasper and Krissy Taylor, who do airshifts specifically for WKDD and could be counted as “local” if you want to split hairs that way.

I actually fantasized about WDOK going with a AC/adult CHR hybrid. That would be a cool idea if Q104 did change their sound. I also pictured the Rhythmic CHR going to 92.3 as the return of “Jammin’.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php