Future of La Mega thread

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

With it almost certain, some station will pick up channel 6 after the repack, what does this leave for the La Mega radio format?

1. La Mega goes off air, becomes internet only?

2. La Mega leases a translator from IHeart or EMF?

3. La Mega purchases a full strength FM signal, most likely 107.3?

4. Something else I haven’t considered could happen?

Participant

It’s still too early to tell what will happen, if anything. The final channel allocations after the FCC spectrum repacking have not all been released. There could be some station moving locally to channel 6, but it’s not certain. It’s also a possibility that if a station like WRLM sold, that they may take their money and buy half of another TV station to share. So far, WGGN is the only local that we know of who is moving to low-VHF channel 3. I know most stations will try to avoid it due to it being prone to interference problems.

Even if no one went to channel 6, how long could La Mega realistically stay on 87.7 ?

Participant

107.3 would be a good place for them. Seeing how that is a “rim shot” station from Lorain County (where there is a large Hispanic population). The only drawback is economic, can they afford this full power station?

Participant

107.3 would be a good choice. Also, what about 95.5?

The logical idea for either station would be an LMA. That could also mean moving out of the Agora studios and into one of the two stations in Independence.

Participant

No way 95.5, The Fish is doing OK (I hope). Then again Air1 is allover the place and it’s commercial free. Does anyone here know the ratings (does Air1 even get into the ratings book)?

Participant

No way 95.5, The Fish is doing OK (I hope). Then again Air1 is allover the place and it’s commercial free. Does anyone here know the ratings (does Air1 even get into the ratings book)?

As long as Salem has their AMs in Cleveland The Fish is here to stay.

Participant

I hear the Fish is struggling.

Since they are not published, I wonder who has better ratings, the Wave or the Fish?

Participant

I’m not sure I would consider WNWV a “rim shot” as its signal covers the metro Cleveland area rather nicely.  It doesn’t seem appropriate to use it for a format which serves a rather small segment of the community IMO.

Participant

Can they buy a failing AM station? Or is the window still open for an LP FM or translator? The FCC doesn’t seem to care anymore about plopping new translators everywhere. I just noticed a new one in Canton on 102.5, and it really tears apart Air1’s Akron translator on 102.5. I’m not sure how it even got approved by the FCC.

Participant

I’m not sure I would consider WNWV a “rim shot” as its signal covers the metro Cleveland area rather nicely. It doesn’t seem appropriate to use it for a format which serves a rather small segment of the community IMO.

Oh it’s a rim shot alright. Try listening to 107.3 while driving on State Road in Parma. If you know where WCPN’s 50,000 watt short tower is (just north of WJW) it rips apart WNWV’s signal. That’s from the opposite end of the FM dial! Any other FM station in the neighborhood stands up to WCPN.

As for that “small segment of the community” there is a rather large portion of that small segment in Lorain County, where WNWV is located.

How does the 95.5 signal do in Lorain County?

Participant

I would agree that WNWV does have reception issues especially in the general Parma/Indepedence area as they tend to have a good amount of interference from other towers as well as other factors. However, their signal does go pretty far east out to at least Mentor while listening in the car. But the signal is not all that strong out there. I noticed that they stopped using the HD signal some time ago. I know that the car radio used to switch a lot with that and in some cars, it would not decode even out in places like Avon which is not too far from their tower.

Listening at home is of course different from listening in the car so I think that is where WNWV has some problems as car reception could be better. Many years ago when they were still WBEA, I believe they had a higher output power and reception was much better especially on the east side. Their format is unique but I don’t know if that translates into good ratings.

Participant

WNWV is definitely not a rimshot. 107.3 can be heard as far east as Youngstown. The problem with their signal in Parma is likely caused by intermodulation. It could be that the combination of 105.7 and 106.5 are likely tearing apart 107.3. The difference in frequency between 105.7 and 106.5 is 0.8 MHz, and when you add that to 106.5, it creates a strong image/harmonic on 107.3. Q104 and Majic 105.7 could be doing the same thing… just do the math and you’ll see. This only occurs near the towers in Parma. I see the same thing occur in Akron. WNIR’s signal, which is across town, gets torn up by 97.5/94.9 and 94.9/89.7. I call this RF crud, and it can tear apart even the strong signals.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php