Glens Falls station

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  AMonFM 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

johnnie radio
    Participant

In the not-too-distant past, Pamal Broadcasting had CBS Sports Radio on WENU-1410, and Fox Sports on WMML-1230. CBS  Sports was also in Albany via Pamal on 104.9fm.

The Albany station was earlier this year switched to an Alternative music format (blocked in Glens Falls by another local station, as they love to do).

This month, WENU went to Christmas music, advertised as “through Christmas Day”.

But WENU is still Christmas music.

Will the New Year bring us Alternative in Glens Falls? Or even some more useful format?

freddy freihofer
    Participant

Maybe one of the stations that hopped on the alternative bandwagon has gotten some sense. It would be great to have one less outlet of this format in this market. (Go WEQX!). I would love to see them go back to Sports and carry the Mets again.

johnnie radio
    Participant

Christmas music is currently being heard on both 1410 and 96.9.  I expect something this week, likely tomorrow.

johnnie radio
    Participant

And this morning, we have WROW-590am being simulcast on 1410am and 96.9fm.

I would think that the use of 1410 would be temporary, being a duplicate AM signal. But 96.9 makes sense, since 100.5 in Albany does not reach Glens Falls.

Craig Knickerbocker
    Participant

It would seem to me that if they want to legally keep WROW programming on 96.9, they would have to keep WROW programming on 1410 since 96.9 is a translator. I stand corrected on this but I think that 590 is too far away for 96.9 to be a translator for it. I for one don’t think 1410 is useful with separate programming any more.

Craig Knickerbocker
    Participant

Some more thought about 590/1410 simulcasting. WROW aired NY Mets baseball. 1410’s sister station 1230 has aired the Mets. That would work out for that programming to air on 590/1410/100.5/96.9 in a simulcast arrangement.

A few months ago, Kevin Richards’ classic country program moved from 100.9 to 590/100.5.  His classic country program also was aired on 100.3. Will they continue classic country on 100.3?

johnnie radio
    Participant

Great analysis! / It’s my understanding that Albany does not have Bills football, but it is on 1230 in Glens Falls along with the Mets games. And the Patriots have been on 1410 in Glens Falls, and on 104.9 in Albany.   So, perhaps WROW could finally bring the Bills into Albany (although they haven’t thus far, but it’s only 16 games vs. 162 for the Mets), and 1230 Sports could then take over the Patriots.

MTN Productions
    Participant

WROW’s “Magic” doesn’t carried the Mets anymore. It had a great run last year, but the Mets will be not be on “Magic” anymore. It will be on a different sports station like WOFX or might be an ESPN Radio Albany station like “The Team”. Or you should listen to the Mets on WCBS-AM when the baseball season comes, it will be in 2 months. If you can’t get the Mets on WCBS-AM, you should get MLB’s Gameday Audio. It costs $19 per regular season, and you should get it, and it stream every Mets game via Gameday Audio.

As for the Buffalo Bills coming to “Magic”, I don’t think so. It’s not happening. You can’t bring sports to “Magic”. Sorry!

Great analysis! / It’s my understanding that Albany does not have Bills football, but it is on 1230 in Glens Falls along with the Mets games. And the Patriots have been on 1410 in Glens Falls, and on 104.9 in Albany. So, perhaps WROW could finally bring the Bills into Albany (although they haven’t thus far, but it’s only 16 games vs. 162 for the Mets), and 1230 Sports could then take over the Patriots.

johnnie radio
    Participant

Oh, darn! But thank you!

I had said last winter that the WROW stint might only be for finishing out a Pamal contract. So the Mets and Bills continue on, disrespected in the State capital.

I personally choose not to  use my computer as a different device, such as a radio. (That’s just me.) But my radios should be able to capture WCBS, and also WCSS daytime (1490-Amsterdam).  🙂

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Where is this proof that WROW is no longer a Mets affiliate? Show me iron-clad proof on a reputable website or it’s nothing more than wish fulfillment. Post your wish fulfillments all you want but don’t say that it’s 100% going to happen unless you can back it up. Otherwise I have every reason to believe that WROW will carry the Amazin’s again… even if last year was for contractural purposes, if it made them money and garnered ratings, they’ll sign another affiliation agreement.

I can’t help but laugh my butt off at the “You can’t bring sports to ‘Magic!’” argument. Why? Is it against the law? Because there are soft AC/oldies stations in small and rural markets around the country that carry sports play-by-play in non-essential hours … like weeknights and weekends. The Mets and Bills are a perfect fit for WROW.

Sorry!

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Nathan Obral
    Participant

It would seem to me that if they want to legally keep WROW programming on 96.9, they would have to keep WROW programming on 1410 since 96.9 is a translator. I stand corrected on this but I think that 590 is too far away for 96.9 to be a translator for it. I for one don’t think 1410 is useful with separate programming any more.

IIRC, if WENU acquired the translator as part of the FCC’s AM Revitalization Abandonment Plan, the translator has to be assigned to WENU… and can’t be switched to another station.

It would have been too easy for the branding to be “Magic 96.9/100.5” and ignore the AM frequencies altogether (as many AM stations with translators have done) but Pamal didn’t here. But make no mistake… 96.9 and 100.5 are the frequencies that will get the most attention and love now.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

MTN Productions
    Participant

Where is this proof that WROW is no longer a Mets affiliate? Show me iron-clad proof on a reputable website or it’s nothing more than wish fulfillment. Post your wish fulfillments all you want but don’t say that it’s 100% going to happen unless you can back it up. Otherwise I have every reason to believe that WROW will carry the Amazin’s again… even if last year was for contractural purposes, if it made them money and garnered ratings, they’ll sign another affiliation agreement.

I can’t help but laugh my butt off at the “You can’t bring sports to ‘Magic!’” argument. Why? Is it against the law? Because there are soft AC/oldies stations in small and rural markets around the country that carry sports play-by-play in non-essential hours … like weeknights and weekends. The Mets and Bills are a perfect fit for WROW.

Sorry!

No! I don’t think so! The Mets and the Bills are not going to “Magic”, because it’s not a good fit with the oldies/classic hits format. Remember what happened last year that it was posted on “Magic’s” Facebook page? Here what it explains.

Craig Knickerbocker
    Participant

Apparently the Mets did not sell.

In the radio business it is “Whatever sells.”

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

I am not in any way disparaging Bills fans. I realize that for one reason or another any sports team has fans in any city in the USA.I would think the Albany market being close to NYC or even New England. Are there enough Buffalo hundreds of miles away to be financially viable for a station.

johnnie radio
    Participant

That’s a good question. The only thing I can think of at the moment, is that WMML radio and WRGB tv have both chosen the Bills over the Patriots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php