Gold 93.7

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MediaFan85 5 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

MediaFan85
    Participant

Looks to be a new station replacing the soon-to-be former Cougar 93.7 out of Lake County (east of Cleveland).  No website yet, but they have a Facebook page up.

tim131
    Participant

Hey, why not?

In the current advertising industry-media environment….why not give it a shot? At least business owners (who tend to be over age 40 or so)…might like the new format and be willing to spend some money on advertising (because they personally like the station)….that is textbook “local direct” advertisers.

Hope they hire at least one full time local newsperson so if nothing else, include local news in morning drive.

MediaFan85
    Participant

Listening to 93.7 right now.  Ted Alexander is involved, and it sounds like his 10,000 song playlist is being included as part of the format.  Ted’s voice signed on the new station.

The former Cougar format is merging with Mix 97.1.  The last song on the old station was “Bye Bye Bye” by N’ Sync.  You can stream at Cougar937.com

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  MediaFan85.

skiwest
    Participant

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Ted has the music library on which an oldies station can be built on, and he still does some engineering work in spite of retirement from full-time work at Telos.

Part of me wants to see them take up the WELW calls. Or something that alludes more to Gold than… well, WQGR.

I’m just surprised that they did this and retained the “Magic Oldies” format (or whatever they call themselves) on WZOO. Yes, WQGR is smaller and barely covers the Ashtabula area, but it’s almost format duplication.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

MediaFan85
    Participant

My guess is Gold will cover the decades that Magic Oldies no longer plays, so Magic can cover the decades that Gold doesn’t have to go heavy on.  Having Ted Alexander at WQGR is a plus, and it’s what Cleveland radio needs at this point.

Keep in mind also that Gold and Magic will also have Classic Rock sister station The Fox too.  Maybe if ESPN doesn’t work on AM, they could always go to Adult Standards.

tim131
    Participant

Adult standards? In 2018+?

You’re making joke, right?

If oldies that already targets way over 45+ is too old, what would listeners aged mid-to-late 70’s into their 80’s do for advertisers?

Most oldies stations that still get any kind of audience have become classic hits and there’s a LOT of 80’s music being played along with less and less 70’s, and almost no 1960’s era music.

So middle of the road tunes of the 1950’s-early 1960’s? That won’t cut it as a very successful business model in most cities.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

My guess is Gold will cover the decades that Magic Oldies no longer plays, so Magic can cover the decades that Gold doesn’t have to go heavy on. Having Ted Alexander at WQGR is a plus, and it’s what Cleveland radio needs at this point. Keep in mind also that Gold and Magic will also have Classic Rock sister station The Fox too. Maybe if ESPN doesn’t work on AM, they could always go to Adult Standards.

WFUN has done very well as an ESPN affiliate for the past ten years after Embrescia & Co. blew up the previous news-talk format they had under Clear Channel. No need to change a thing.

I don’t know why they don’t want to do Top 40 in Ashtabula, but the fact that gaping format hole has existed ever since 102WZOO flipped to “Magic Oldies” a decade ago is just perplexing to me. Is Star 104 really that popular/dominant?

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

MediaFan85
    Participant

Adult standards? In 2018+? You’re making joke, right? If oldies that already targets way over 45+ is too old, what would listeners aged mid-to-late 70’s into their 80’s do for advertisers? Most oldies stations that still get any kind of audience have become classic hits and there’s a LOT of 80’s music being played along with less and less 70’s, and almost no 1960’s era music.So middle of the road tunes of the 1950’s-early 1960’s? That won’t cut it as a very successful business model in most cities.

I was definitely joking.  That was only based on the increasing amount of older music formats in the cluster.  I know ESPN is doing well.
    93.7 had potential to be a good Top 40 if they weren’t too similar to 97.1.  That’s what kept Cougar from taking off.  Maybe down the road, WZOO might change again, and let Gold be the only oldies station.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php