Hearst Bidding for Cox TV stations, interesting in Boston

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston Hearst Bidding for Cox TV stations, interesting in Boston

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 4 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

nifty850
    Participant

We will know within 3 weeks who Cox chooses to sell its local TV station group to.

Channel 25 will again have new owners, and pretty good chance Hearst is going to get the group that owns Channel 25. Hearst is 1 of 3 finalists and considered by some a front runner

Also 100% certain Hearst would retain WCVB and sell 25. So it will be another interesting year in local broadcast media ownership.

billw
    Participant

Back to Fox?  Fox will have plenty of money after a very large chunk of the company is sold to Disney.

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

Also 100% certain Hearst would retain WCVB and sell 25. So it will be another interesting year in local broadcast media    ownership.

Why could they keep both?

Like WBZ/WSBK
    WHDH/WLVI
    Etc…

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

Why could[n’t] they keep both? Like WBZ/WSBK WHDH/WLVI Etc…

First, Hearst already owns a second station in the DMA: WMUR.  I’m pretty sure that the pair counts as a regular duopoly.  Also, I’m pretty sure that the regulations still prohibit co-ownership of two of the four highest-rated stations within a market.  If WFXT is no longer among the top four (e.g., due to the aftereffects of NBC’s move), then co-ownership could be possible–but I still doubt that it would come at the expense of spinning off WMUR.

Just in case, the speculation about Hearst apparently comes via https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/tegna-hearst-and-ew-scripps-plan-january-bids-for-cox-tv-stations.html.  As it turns out, a separate recent item (at https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/1/8/nbc-looking-at-cox-stations) claims that NBC may also still be in the hunt.

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

First, Hearst already owns a second station in the DMA: WMUR.  I’m pretty sure that the pair counts as a regular duopoly

Hmmm…I know the TV ratings are called “Manchester/Boston” (or they used to be)….but WMUR is in another state!

They are 60 miles from each other.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 22 hours ago by  OldNewsGuy.

nifty850
    Participant

Excellent points.  Let me rephrase what I said in original post: if left with the necessary choice of keeping WCVB or WFXT..its 100% certain Hearst would retain WCVB… which is one of its crown jewels. But those are interesting possibilities.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Also 100% certain Hearst would retain WCVB and sell 25. So it will be another interesting year in local broadcast media ownership.

Why could they keep both?

Like WBZ/WSBK
    WHDH/WLVI
    Etc…

Those are a CBS/MyTV** duopoly and an indie/CW duopoly, respectively. Even WBTS-WYCN/WNEU is a natural NBC/Telemundo duop, albeit in an unconventional setup. An ABC/Fox duopoly for a top 10 market like Boston would not fly, let alone WMUR right next door.

Far more likely Hearst immediately resells WFXT back to Fox if they win the bidding for Cox, which is the reverse of what MetroMedia did in 1986 when News Corp. acquired them (and WCVB was immediately spun off by MM over to Hearst).

**MyTV isn’t even a network, for all intents and purposes, WSBK has been an independent since 2006.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php