Hudson Valley Radio Predictions 2019

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Hudson Valley / Albany

• Participant

Now that 2018 is coming to an end, I hope there’s going to be some changes coming in 2019. Here is the plan.

WGNY-FM “Fox Oldies” is still the worst oldies station of all time with zero listenership, because listeners prefer WBPM over this one. The problem is that they played too much dinosaur rock like Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love”, the Who’s “My Generation” and others are too much classic rock mixing with 50’s and 60’s oldies. This is not going to fit the entire format. Look at WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” in Albany. They did a pretty good job playing oldies without hearing The Who, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix. I guess. “Magic” is a much better radio station than “Fox Oldies” did. Thanks to the stream.

I hope Sunrise (who owns WGNY and WJGK) should sell the station to EMF and one of them should flip to Christian pop known as “K-Love”, and it will be competing with the “Sound of Life”. Let’s if WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” will last. I hope they might rid of Led Zeppelin and other rock artists from this station and leave it to WPDH. Or if this will continue to go down the drain, it will either sell to EMF, or it will go off the air completely. Just like they did with WABY in Watervalet back in May 2018 where the station pulled the plug after it got dumped the oldies format back in March for AAA. I missed WABY when it was an oldies station played good songs. Let’s see if 2019 holds.

Also, WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” did a great job adding heavy amount of 80’s hits that you hear on a classic hits station like WBPM. But nothing has changed, but we’ll just leave it alone for now. I guess “Magic” is going to sound better than WGNY-FM and WBPM combined. Just take these two stations together, and you will have the best of both worlds. Good job, “Magic”!

WBPM, nothing is changing for 2019, except playing a few 90’s hits with less 60’s songs, but my guess is maybe they might add songs from the 2000’s, I don’t think so. CBS-FM has been playing stuff from the 2000’s on that one, but I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

How about soft AC? I guess Hudson Valley is starving for soft AC, but my guess maybe one of the stations needs to put soft AC on one of the HV stations. Look what happened at WCZX’s “Now 97.7”, they are competing with the two CHR stations like WPKF’s “Kiss-FM” and WSPK’s “K104”. Do we have enough CHR stations? Why not leave it with two and maybe WCZX should flip to soft AC. Don’t see it happening, but we shall see if this is going to happen beginning in 2019 if there are some changes coming.

Any thoughts?

Participant

Respectfully disagreeing.

Funny thing that “MTN” dislikes the oldies station in his market, WGNY and likes the oldies station in my market, WROW. On the other hand I dislike the only oldies(loosely) station in my market which I call “Tragic 590” and love the real oldies mix on Poughkeepsie’s WGNY.

I’m listening to WGNY while I write this(Thank God for the Internet!) and as usual they’re playing the usual 50’s-70’s songs that define a real “oldies” station. One of the reasons you like WROW is one of the reasons I don’t like it, slipping in the 80’s tunes which you correctly point out are usually part of a “classic” format.

If I want to put up with 80’s hits I tune into WTRY which mixes 80’s and 70’s including some good disco cuts.

Participant

I can not handle the alleged Oldies format of 590 either. A nursing home soundtrack at best. I enjoy WGNY when down that way but usually stick with CFZM-740 out of Toronto which has an excellent night time signal in this area…This area has in the past had some decent Oldies stations….Oldies 99.5, SHO-FM 98.3/103.5, Wheels 107.1 and a few short lived ones on 96.7 too. Its unfortunate that we are stuck with 590…

Participant

“Nursing home soundtrack”, that’s funny but true. It’s going way back to remember “Oldies 99.5”. I miss “SHO FM”. I have an aircheck of me requesting a song on it.

Participant

Respectfully disagreeing.

Funny thing that “MTN” dislikes the oldies station in his market, WGNY and likes the oldies station in my market, WROW. On the other hand I dislike the only oldies(loosely) station in my market which I call “Tragic 590” and love the real oldies mix on Poughkeepsie’s WGNY.

I’m listening to WGNY while I write this(Thank God for the Internet!) and as usual they’re playing the usual 50’s-70’s songs that define a real “oldies” station. One of the reasons you like WROW is one of the reasons I don’t like it, slipping in the 80’s tunes which you correctly point out are usually part of a “classic” format.

If I want to put up with 80’s hits I tune into WTRY which mixes 80’s and 70’s including some good disco cuts.

Yeah! And also, “Magic” is going after WTRY-FM which is 98.3 playing 70’s and 80’s, and so did WCZR’s “Oldies 93.5” in Hudson, and WBPM as well, and “Magic” is a marriage to the two HV stations like WGNY and WBPM combined. Take these two well-known Hudson Valley stations together, and mixed with the former WABY and it will become one big oldies/classic hits station after another.

And speaking of which, WKNY is getting an FM signal starting in the first half of 2019, and it is going to be the 80th anniversary of WKNY since it launched back on December 15th 1939, 80 years later, it’s now known as “Radio Kingston”. I hope WKNY is going to celebrate 80 years this year.

Participant

And in addition, as you probably know, WROW’s “Magic” is now being heard on 1410 AM and 96.9 FM which is up in Glens Falls and in Lake George. That’s really good to start off 2019 with a BANG! How about maybe “Magic” should stream around the world rather than geo-blocking like they did for about 5 or so years. I remember when I was in Florida, I can’t get “Magic” via stream due to geoblocking their web streams. I hope “Magic” should do a better job of streaming all over the world including all of the US states and other countries would listen to “Magic”

I have a link from “Magic’s” Facebook page about this announcement from yesterday.

If “Magic” does very well, maybe we should add it to the Hudson Valley as well. Instead of Sunrise selling WGNY and WJGK to EMF, why not sell them to Pamal, and maybe they will simulcast “Magic” on 98.9 FM, 105.3 FM and 1220 AM in the future.

Participant

Referring to WROW and their practice of “geoblocking”, when I’m searching for new out of town stations to add to my internet radio list(381 and counting) I often hear a station saying something like “Our station is not available in your country”. Hey it’s their loss! WROW has a good mix going this afternoon but there are so many oldies stations around the world that are much better. I and others can tune in some great 50’s-70’s stations from coast to coast and worldwide from such diverse locations as the UK and Australia. In this digital age if “Magic 590” doesn’t want to spend the money they will lose local listeners to other stations that entertain worldwide.

I didn’t realize this before but WROW AM has one heck of a coverage area from way north of Glens Falls to close to New York City.

Participant

WROW has the second best daytime AM signal in the market after WGY-810. It reaches from NYC to nearly the Canadian border during the day….and past Syracuse to the West. It has a null toward Boston to protect 590-WEZE (former WEEI) Boston. It also protects 590-WARM Scranton, Pa…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php