Inconsistencies in 105.7's Wikipedia page

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Columbus

• Participant

Their Wikipedia page goes off the rails when it gets to 1997.  It says in 1997 they switched from Arrow, which was a 70’s pop/rock format to a country format.  It goes on to say that later in 1997 they switched back to 70’s pop/rock, and called themselves “105.7 The Chicken”, and the mascot was a whole broiled chicken dressed in seasonal clothes.  Then, in the same year, they flipped to Urban AC.  It gets back on track, and says it became Channel Z in 1998, and The Fox in 2000, and so on.  The way I understand it for just the 105.7 frequency was, Power Pig in 1990, Hot 105 from 1991 to 1994, Kiss fm 1994 to 1995, Arrow 1995 to 1997, then Channel Z, The Fox, and so on.  I only bring this up because their Wikipedia page has been this way for a couple of years now, and I’m wondering if the person who wrote it actually thinks they did an Urban AC format, or a 70’s format using a chicken for a mascot, or if they’re just messing around to see if it stays up.  I just find it odd that not one person has tried to change it to actual facts, but then again it’s not like it’s an article on something important like the holocaust.  It’s about some local radio station, so in that respect I get it.

Participant

A decade or more ago, I decided to see if anyone really cares about an accurate history on wikipedia.

I wrote a detailed history of a large market radio station where I spent 12 years on staff. It was top five in most key demos during that time. I was on-air and in the years after I left, I was often asked about my time there.

To test wikipedia and its readers, I literally included a mention of every possible person who was heard on-air, down to the part timers who only were heard buried late night. I included sales, promotion, engineering and office staff.

I left out only one name. Deliberately. Mine.

In the years since, I’ve had friends who worked there reference the wikipedia history. None appeared to catch the one person missing. It’s never been corrected.

Now either I’m not as well remembered as I perhaps once thought (very likely) — or no user has simply ever taken the time to correct an obvious omission.

No matter. My point? Anyone can edit wikipedia inaccuracies at any time. And believe me, I read more than a few.

Participant

Yeah, definitely some inaccuracies in that listing!  While 105.7 was indeed country for a short time around 1997, the part about the “Chicken” stuff really is out of left field.

Backing up a little, the information on Arrow was also partly incorrect.  At first, Arrow was solely on 105.7, and it was  NOT all-70s, and would not have debuted with the Bee Gees.  (The moniker “Arrow” derived from “All Rock n Roll Oldies,” as first used on KCBS-FM Los Angeles.).  In February, 1995, 107.1 also became named Arrow, but it was *not* a simulcast of 105.7.  Instead, it was a separate all-70s version (and so *that* may have very well debuted with “Stayin Alive”).  BTW, I a used a 2-3-95 Columbus Dispatch article I  downloaded in 2004 to jog my memory on all the Arrow stuff.

Whenever I verbally quote anything from Wikipedia (which I use a lot), I usually preface it with, “If Wikipedia is correct, then…”  It’s scary to think about how many people, including students, assume whatever they read there is all correct, especially when it’s not regarding well documented, non-controversial and non-partisan historical events.

Participant

I remember their brief stint as Kicks Country 105.7 (I might still have a T shirt won from that station some where) then they flipped to a simulcast of K95.5 for a period of time.

Participant

I think they were “Kicks” in late 1996 and early 1997.  I graduated high school in 1996 and listened to the Arrow for at least the previous two years. It was by no means the greatest classic rock station there’s ever been, nor really was it meant to be classic rock per se, but it played a lot of stuff that didn’t have a home on other radio stations around here.

The period from late 1996 to around 2000, when they spent time as “Channel Z” and later became “The Fox,” was pretty eventful on that frequency.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php