Indians baseball

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

The Tribe broadcast team will reach milestones in the 2019 season.

2019 marks:

* The 30th season for radio voice Tom Hamilton (22nd as lead announcer)
    * The 30th season for TV analyst Rick Manning (all in the same role)
    * The 20th season for Matt Underwood as an Indians broadcaster (7 on the radio as Hamilton’s partner, 13 as TV PBP guy)
    * The 10th season for Jim Rosenhaus as Hammy’s radio partner (remember the first couple of years he was part of a 3-man booth with Hamilton and the late Mike Hegan, and from 2012 on it’s been the “Hammy & Rosey Show”
    * The 10th season for TV pre/post game host Al Pawlowski in that role
    * The 5th season for TV field reporter Andre Knott (who had the same tenure in the same role for Browns radio)
    * The 5th season for TV pre/post game analyst Jensen Lewis

Participant

If you guys have ever heard some of the radio network announcers on other MLBB teams, you’d realize how incredibly lucky we are to have Hammy & Rosey. I’ve heard airchecks of at least 25 of other baseball team’s play by play folks. IMHO Hammy & Rosey blow the other baseball club’s radio announcing teams out of the water.

Participant

I didn’t realize that Rosey had been in the Indians radio booth for 10 years.  He seems like a nice guy, but in my opinion he is the weakest link of the Indians broadcast teams.  This is particularly true when he is doing play-by-play and something exciting happens on the field, his calls sound very forced.  Hegan was the perfect partner for Hammy, great insight as a former ball-player and surprisingly good with play-by-play.  Shame he passed away long before his time.  Either way I look forward to seeing and hearing another season of Indians baseball!

Participant

What I find disconcerting [but I am amazed he can pull it off] is Hamilton telling an anecdote about something  and you’ll hear this: “One time my mother was outside washing the clothes in the creek and she IT’S A HIGH FLY BALL TO CENTERFIELD, ‘I DON’T KNOW’ RUNS TO MAKE THE PLAY, JUST MISSES THE CATCH AND ‘WHO’S ON FIRST’ IS SAFE ON SECOND BASE pulls the underwear out of the creek and there are 5 crayfish hanging off them. And we’ll be back after this message from Stroh’s beer, the official sponsor of MLBs infield rake of choice for smoothing out the infield dirt”

Participant

I didn’t realize that Rosey had been in the Indians radio booth for 10 years. He seems like a nice guy, but in my opinion he is the weakest link of the Indians broadcast teams. This is particularly true when he is doing play-by-play and something exciting happens on the field, his calls sound very forced. Hegan was the perfect partner for Hammy, great insight as a former ball-player and surprisingly good with play-by-play. Shame he passed away long before his time. Either way I look forward to seeing and hearing another season of Indians baseball!

Rosey’s job isn’t to be an equal of Hammy, but to be his sidekick (the McMahon to Hamilton’s Carson).

JR does the pregame show, a couple of the middle innings to give TH a break, gets postgame interviews, and does the weekly “Tribe Talk” show on Saturdays.

Hamilton’s the star, Rosenhaus is the faithful assistant.

Participant

I always appreciated Mike Hegan’s and Herb Score’s info from a player’s perspective.

There are a couple things that bother me a little about the current radio announcers.  When one of them is doing the PBP, the other is silent.  Previously, there was always a lot of chatter between Hammy and either Hegan or Herb throughout the game.  And also, Hammy has become a lot more opinionated in recent years.

Participant

I would like to offer my humble opinion regarding the Tribe’s announcers. I absolutely agree with much of what you all have said. Mr. Hamilton has earned the right to be opinionated about owners, management, umpires….but he is out of bounds when it comes to social issues. Zip it Tom.

Rosey is sub-par at play-by-play in the middle innings when he gives Hammy a blow. But his worth is all the other stuff he does. And I feel he does all the other stuff very well.

Fifty years or so ago Jim Bouton, who came up through the Yankees system, wrote a book named “Ball Four”. It was after he got drafted by the expansion Seattle team (which moved to Milwaukee after 1 year). It was, and still could be an eye-opener for those uninformed about how pro sports were.

Herb Score and Mike Hegan were never willing to tell their tales of what they knew during their playing days. Although Hegan gave us a brief glimpse on occasion. Herb never did. And yet they could make a warm summer’s night PERFECTLY enjoyable between the balls and strikes and whatever Hammy described.

I wish there was a personality out there to rival Hegan or Herbie. And I wish the Tribe could make that guy get on the air. I really miss those guys. And I wish they’d shared more than they did.

Participant

I always appreciated Mike Hegan’s and Herb Score’s info from a player’s perspective.

There are a couple things that bother me a little about the current radio announcers. When one of them is doing the PBP, the other is silent. Previously, there was always a lot of chatter between Hammy and either Hegan or Herb throughout the game. And also, Hammy has become a lot more opinionated in recent years.

The silence is by design – Rosey is doing behind the scenes stuff when Hammy is on the mic, and when JR does the middle innings, TH is resting the pipes.

Participant

I would like to offer my humble opinion regarding the Tribe’s announcers. I absolutely agree with much of what you all have said. Mr. Hamilton has earned the right to be opinionated about owners, management, umpires….but he is out of bounds when it comes to social issues. Zip it Tom.

Rosey is sub-par at play-by-play in the middle innings when he gives Hammy a blow. But his worth is all the other stuff he does. And I feel he does all the other stuff very well.

Fifty years or so ago Jim Bouton, who came up through the Yankees system, wrote a book named “Ball Four”. It was after he got drafted by the expansion Seattle team (which moved to Milwaukee after 1 year). It was, and still could be an eye-opener for those uninformed about how pro sports were.

Herb Score and Mike Hegan were never willing to tell their tales of what they knew during their playing days. Although Hegan gave us a brief glimpse on occasion. Herb never did. And yet they could make a warm summer’s night PERFECTLY enjoyable between the balls and strikes and whatever Hammy described.

I wish there was a personality out there to rival Hegan or Herbie. And I wish the Tribe could make that guy get on the air. I really miss those guys. And I wish they’d shared more than they did.

Score came from the old school of “your not a player anymore, you’re a broadcaster…act like one”, and Hegan (being 2nd generation in the game following his father Jim) was the same way.

They both did play-by-play, showing they were all in on broadcasting…modern player turned analysts don’t, as the focus for them is Xs and Os and playing up the ex-jock background.

Participant
    That’s all fine, and Rosey may be excellent at other parts of his job, but it doesn’t change my opinion that he is not a very good play-by-play guy.  Plus faithful assistant or not, Rosey gets to be the star for around 30% of every game.  I hope Hammy doesn’t retire anytime soon, and if he does I hope the Indians don’t already have Rosey tabbed as a successor.

Participant
    The silence is by design – Rosey is doing behind the scenes stuff when Hammy is on the mic, and when JR does the middle innings, TH is resting the pipes.
    Maybe if Hammy wasn’t talking constantly for six innings, he would have to spend three innings resting his pipes.

Participant

Maybe if Hammy wasn’t talking constantly for six innings, he wouldn’t have to spend three innings resting his pipes.

Participant

Rosey’s play by play is fine for a “color” guy. In fact, I think he’s improved over the years.

To be critical of him by comparing him to Hammy is really unfair, in my opinion. Tom is the lead announcer, and the lead announcer is typically a lot more skilled and/or experienced than the color guy.

I’ve met Rosey a few times over the years. He IS a good guy. A nice person. And, a competent baseball color announcer & #2 pbp person.

Participant

Rosey’s play by play is fine for a “color” guy. In fact, I think he’s improved over the years. To be critical of him by comparing him to Hammy is really unfair, in my opinion. Tom is the lead announcer, and the lead announcer is typically a lot more skilled and/or experienced than the color guy. I’ve met Rosey a few times over the years. He IS a good guy. A nice person. And, a competent baseball color announcer & #2 pbp person.

I’m not comparing Rosey to Hammy, I’m saying that in my opinion Rosey is not a very good play-by-play guy.  He specifically could use a lot of work with his home-run calls.  That’s just my opinion though, if others like him then that’s fine.  And it’s good to hear that he is a nice guy.  If he has the desire to be the full-time PBP guy at some point then hopefully he works hard at it and improves.
    If/when Hammy retires I’d compare it to the Joe Tait situation.   Do I enjoy listening to John Michael call Cavs games as much as I enjoyed Joe Tait?  Probably not.  But I do think John Michael has become a VERY good NBA play-by-play announcer in his own right.  And he IS also a nice guy!

Participant

Not an Indians fan (my wife and in-laws are, however) but I generally enjoy Tom Hamilton despite the occasional screaming that isn’t always justified. I think he and Rosenhaus seem to have a better rapport than they did even a few seasons ago. And for as much as Hamilton is beloved, it seems shockingly few people actually listen to him during games, as pointed out from (among other times) the incessant complaining about Joe Buck during the 2016 World Series. Where are all the people who listened to the extremely popular hometown voice? I root for the team they played and I might have listened to Buck for two innings of the entire series. Otherwise, I listened to my team’s announcers throughout.

I think the truest weak link in the Indians’ broadcast crew is Matt Underwood. He has gotten a little better over the years but I can never shake the feeling that he sounds like he’s five seconds from dozing off at any given moment. It might be just the nasal quality of his voice. There also seem to be times that Manning is thoroughly annoyed with him. I enjoyed Manning and John Sanders, as well as Hegan and Corrigan, in their days calling games far more than I like Underwood.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php