Insignia NS-HD01A

RadioInsight Community Forums General Topics Digital Radio Insignia NS-HD01A

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  RadioDoogie 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

RadioDoogie
    Participant

I bought my fourth Insignia portable radio today. This is the 2014 version. I asked the Best Buy person if I could open it first to check the version number. The latest version shows a host version of 5.9 and a DSP version of Si4680 3.0.16. Different than the earlier models. You can see the date code on the bottom of the package. The latest is 14A07C. This model has some fixes from the previous models. The HD Radio logo scrolls when you start up the radio. The font has changed and is smaller and smoother when scrolling across. They’ve added a ST light when you receive analog. They somewhat fixed the preset issue. If you change the station manually it picks up where your last preset was. On the menu, they added a language option (English, Spanish, Portuguese). They also added a world tuning region option where you can choose 4 different FM regions. The reception is stronger and even better than the previous models. Near equivalent to my car stereo’s tuner. The signal meter is smaller and the top line is smaller making the HD symbol look kind of poor graphically. The analog RDS has greatly improved. Scrolls smoother and picks up better. I live south of the WSBB tower in Atlanta and I could never pick up the RDS on the previous models living so close to the transmitter but now I can. On my previous models I had the NS-HD01 which was 09D09 and version 3.00.00 11D09 which was version 4.00.14 and the NS-HD01A which was 12D09 and version 4.00.16 and now this model. Be aware the 2013 version 13K07C still uses the 4.00.16 version. Hope this helps anyone keeping up with this radio over the last five years and is interested in buying a new one.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

Is this the model that looks like a stupid cell phone or the earlier one that, well, actually looks and feels like a radio?

Any hope for a graphic equaliser or bass-treble adjustments in the newer revision?

CBers fight inequality, and for peoples' rights-
    CBers fight class prejudice - - an hamster just fights.

RadioDoogie
    Participant

It’s the newer one that is more V-shaped. The older models were square with a glossy black surface that seemed to scratch real easy. The older models also had a mute feature which is not on this one. No Bass or Treble adjustments. Maybe in the future. I would think they would have to put in a bigger amplifier in the unit for this to occur (and charge more money). Maybe it can fit in this case? I think if they start to charge more than $50 for the unit, it will start to sway people away from buying it. I’m sure it’s a cost thing. It would be nice if there was an equalizer feature on this unit.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

"The older models were square with a glossy black surface that seemed to scratch quite easily."

My HD01 (FW 04.00.14) has received a lot of ab/use in the few years I've had it and only has a few very minor surface scratches. If anything, it attracts dirt and fingerprints more easily than it scratches.

"I would think they would have to put in a bigger amplifier in the unit for this to occur (and charge more money). I’m sure it's a cost thing."

Probably not a bigger amplifier so much as a few extra (?) lines of firmware code. Which, knowing Worst Buy, would be reason to tack an extra $15 onto the price tag.

For all anybody knows it's probably in there already, just commented out.

"Maybe it can fit in this case?"

What are the physical dimensions of the existing ROM and DSP chips? I'm betting it would.

RadioDoogie
    Participant

I’ve learned to keep the screen protector on that comes with the radio. Maybe they will continue to make improvements to this radio down the road. I can’t believe it’s been around this long and that they haven’t completely redesigned another portable version in five years. Not that I don’t mind this one but I’m just surprised there hasn’t been any significant changes. They have changed the case some but it is still basically the same radio that came out 5 years ago.

KP
    Participant

Is the NS-HD01A the radio with the touch-screen? Or did they discontinue that model?
    I have one of the older ones (I think it was their first generation), while the display is completely cracked and you won’t be able to see what’s on it, I can turn it on and pick up stations. I did get a newer one (still the non-touch screen model) a couple years later, probably late 2010 or early 2011, it was the same thing almost however the reception was drastically improved. Sadly though, it broke randomly, just wouldn’t turn on one day so I had to toss it. The older one though still works, and I can use it if I don’t mind not looking at the station. I know the dial here in San Antonio so well I can just scan through and know where I am.
    If this new model’s got even better reception though, it might be something I might look into the next time I want a radio. I just don’t like touch screens with that sort of thing.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

"I've learnt to keep the screen protector on that comes with the radio."

Yeah, while the housing has held up relatively well, the screen bezel is another story entirely. The very least Audiovox could have done, if they won't include/enable an equaliser, is make the bezel out of better-quality plastic, or give it an anti-scratch coating or something. My HD01 is only about 3 years old yet its screen already bears a passing resemblance to that of my 20-year old Game Gear device.

"Is the NS-HD01A the radio with the touch-screen?"

Think that was the HD02. I could be completely wrong and probably am.

Timothy Blanks
    Participant

Is this the best value for HD radios under $100 in your opinion?Also, how many miles away can you pick up signals?

RadioDoogie
    Participant

Yes the NS-HD02 was the touchscreen and it was discontinued. I heard the reception was worse on that one and the battery only lasted 4 hours. Yes the NS-HD01A is the best bang for your buck. It’s $50 at Best Buy. Just make sure you get the box that has 14A07C on the bottom of the box. This is the latest. This radio is very comparable to a car stereo tuner. I drove around with it the other day and it kept up with the car stereo. Amazing for a device this size. Most devices in the past that were analog and portable had too many issues with adjacent station interference and lack of sensitivity. I live about 30 miles east of Atlanta and all of the 100kw stations stay clear and pick up HD. I typically lose HD on these stations any further out than this. But the FCC has HD attenuated at a much greater rate than the main analog station. Analog picks up just like the car stereo does. I can pick up the HD on the weaker stations but I have to orient the headphone cable around a bit. Also if you think using a longer headphone cable will improve the reception, it does not. It creates more interference from adjacent stations but I suspect would work better the further out from the station you go.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

"In your opinion, is this the best value for Ibiquity System receivers under $100?"

As a DXer, no. That would have been the XDR-F1HD in its heyday. $85 with free shipping, via Amazon. (Line outputs for recording, fairly easy to hack and it receives mediumwave.)

"I heard the reception was worse on that one and the battery only lasted 4 hours."

Part of the reason I avoided the 02 like the black plague. That, and the idea of a touchscreen on a broadcast receiver (of all things) was something I just couldn't get my mind around. I had one in my hand once, tried to accept the premise but couldn't. Certain concepts are inherently "jive prone" and that was one of them. A touchscreen on a PDA is one thing; on a radio it's something else altogether.

nick
    Participant

The touchscreen HD radio sucked, birdies everywhere. It also had the “Artist Experience” but for it to work, the HD signal had to be perfect for over a minute. Even if the audio didn’t drop out, if there was a small interruption in the signal, the picture didn’t download.

I’ve yet to meet one person who has this portable HD radio.

KP
    Participant

I’m glad to hear about the radio. This looks like what I will be getting when I can afford it, LOL.

Just also wanted to throw in that the Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player also has a good tuner. I can pick up weak translators and far-away stations on it even when right next to full-power 100,000 watt stations. It’s especially good at not letting interference from other stations drift into what you’re listening to. They’re about $35 at Radio Shack. For the past couple years I’ve owned a few of these, I tend to use them a lot so they wear out quickly at times. LOL just something else that works well.

isfp
    Participant

I currently have the 12D09 model. I use it to listen to WUIS HD2. But when I turn it off and then back on it always comes up on the HD1 which I do not like. Does the new model come up on an HD2 when turned on.

thanks

Eva
    Participant

My Denon receiver does that, when you turn it off and back on later, the default comes on, either the analogue or HD1. But since the receiver is a rare one that allows you to turn the HD mode off, which I done since the analogue sounds better and since I’m far from the transmitter the signal flips between the digital and analogue, which is annoying.

IBOC = 8-Track.

RadioDoogie
    Participant

Yes the 12D09 model does this like the earlier models. The new one has fixed this. I just tested it on WWPW HD3, turned it off and back on and it came back to WWPW HD3. Maybe future versions will have a stereo/mono and HD/analog switch with an equalizer and put the mute option back on. That would totally complete this radio.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php