Is This The End For WMEX-1510??

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston Is This The End For WMEX-1510??

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 51 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  nifty850 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

This began as an item and a reply posted today (June 29th) on the Boston board as the most recent entries on the “The WMEX Train Wreck” thread, but given what Raccoonradio (who posted the item) and High Tides (who posted a reply) mentioned, I think what their posts mentioned should actually be the start of a new thread.

It’s this: Raccoonradio seems to recall that last night (June 28th) that Jimmy C (I thought there was a personality there named Jimmy J; maybe this was who Raccoonradio referred to) mentioning on his oldies show that tonight would be his last show and that WMEX-1510 would be doing off-the-air tomorrow (Friday, June 30th) at 6 P.M.

I thought, based on what was posted on that thread, that the lease on the Waltham transmitter site (which supposedly has a very high rental fee) expired Friday. If WMEX indeed leaves the air tomorrow at 6 P.M., it might allow for enough time for the station’s transmitter and other transmitter site equipment (other than the towers and antenna wires themselves) to be moved out before 12 Midnight, which might be when the lease expires.

That allegedly-expensive lease has been a “bug-a-boo” for several different owners of the 1510 frequency, perhaps even going as far back as Mariner Communications (under whose ownership, the station, then WITS, moved the transmitter to Waltham in 1981).

Can anyone indeed confirm whether this is the end for ‘MEX after 83 years??

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Last night (June 29th), Jimmy J announced that WMEX-1510 indeed would go off the air today (June 30th) at 6 P.M.

And this morning, the “Renegade Radio” hosts announced they’d be doing a second show today, from 3 to 6 P.M., at the end of which WMEX will sign-off forever.

I’m pretty sure Arnie “Woo-Woo” Ginsberg is still alive (I think he’s now 89 or 90 years young), and I think it would be a classy gesture if WMEX would let him say the final words to be uttered on that station (such as “This is Arnie ‘Woo-Woo’ Ginsberg, and for the very last time, this is WMEX, Boston”) just before the plug is pulled, given that he’s the most famous personality in the 83-year history of the station.

MickeyD
    Participant

Last night (June 29th), Jimmy J announced that WMEX-1510 indeed would go off the air today (June 30th) at 6 P.M. And this morning, the “Renegade Radio” hosts announced they’d be doing a second show today, from 3 to 6 P.M., at the end of which WMEX will sign-off forever. I’m pretty sure Arnie “Woo-Woo” Ginsberg is still alive (I think he’s now 89 or 90 years young), and I think it would be a classy gesture if WMEX would let him say the final words to be uttered on that station (such as “This is Arnie ‘Woo-Woo’ Ginsberg, and for the very last time, this is WMEX, Boston”) just before the plug is pulled, given that he’s the most famous personality in the 83-year history of the station.

Arnie was on Jimmy Jay’s show last night. Arnie is 90!

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

I had suggested as an idea for WMEX-1510’s final sign-off:

I’m pretty sure Arnie “Woo-Woo” Ginsberg is still alive (I think he’s now 89 or 90 years young), and I think it would be a classy gesture if WMEX would let him say the final words to be uttered on that station..

Mickey D. replied:

Arnie was on Jimmy Jay’s show last night. Arnie is 90!

As I noted above, I hope WMEX-1510 can get him to do the final sign-off later today (June 30th). He deserves that honor.

raccoonradio
    Participant

I recorded it, will listen back later, but was half listening to the end wbile at a noisy restaurant, on the stream.A couple F bombs may have made it onto the air.

Arnie at the end? Sounded like Renegade’s sophomoric humor.The 2017 version of the 850 WHDH toilet flush.

New owners? None that we know of.

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Personally, I wish the “Renegade Radio” guys had done a much nicer way to send WMEX-1510 off into history.

raccoonradio
    Participant

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/20170703/wmex-am-off-air-maybe-not-for-long Could a potential buyer for WMEX renegotiate lease, get them back on air?

raccoonradio
    Participant

Post on boston-radio-interest says there may be a buyer and renegotiated lease (half price but other conditions).They don’t know who this buyer is

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Personally, I wish the “Renegade Radio” guys had done a much nicer way to send WMEX-1510 off into history.

But not surprising in the least. “Renegade Radio” was truly a disasterpiece in every sense of the word.

Actually, the only surprise is that Daly XXL, itself composed of nothing but incompetents and broadcast novices, didn’t go under much, much sooner.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Post on boston-radio-interest says there may be a buyer and renegotiated lease (half price but other conditions).They don’t know who this buyer is

The fact WMEX was sold for $175K two years ago and still couldn’t afford a lease on the transmitter site raises more than just an eyebrow or two.

$87,500 still sounds like too much for what is basically a piece of paper and nothing else.

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

I have severe doubts that WMEX-1510 will ever get back on-the-air unless the company that owns the transmitter site buys the station’s license, hires someone with good broadcasting management experience to run the station and give him/her free rein.

Then the station might have a chance.

But otherwise, the onerous costs of leasing the transmitter site will continue to haunt any potential buyer, and prevent them from making any real money with the station.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

I have severe doubts that WMEX-1510 will ever get back on-the-air unless the company that owns the transmitter site buys the station’s license, hires someone with good broadcasting management experience to run the station and give him/her free rein.

There was an office park that the site owners built almost entirely on top of the transmitter site. What’s going to really stop them from just taking those towers down and creating about four extra parking spaces?

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Nathan Orbal suggests:

There was an office park that the site owners built almost entirely on top of the transmitter site. What’s going to really stop them from just taking those towers down and creating about four extra parking spaces?

This may be the most likely scenario.

radioperson
    Participant

I have severe doubts that WMEX-1510 will ever get back on-the-air unless the company that owns the transmitter site buys the station’s license, hires someone with good broadcasting management experience to run the station and give him/her free rein. Then the station might have a chance. But otherwise, the onerous costs of leasing the transmitter site will continue to haunt any potential buyer, and prevent them from making any real money with the station.

But as has been pointed out many times, the Waltham site is not necessarily a required part of signing back on.
    As a matter of fact, with the required protection contours of 1510, the site was a lousy geographic spot to begin with, with a big cut right into the affluent western suburbs.  Plus there was no ground conductivity.  Once again, the key seems to be diplexing on the 890 or 650 site with essentially the same pattern with a big night cut toward Nashville, which would put more of the metro in front of the pattern.  With the proper processing and 50kw, they should hit Boston city of license just fine.  If 890 can get away with a Dedham license from Ashland with 6kw at night,  50kw WMEX from the same site with a similar pattern should do just fine.
    And yes, let’s have a mature ownership and management.  If “Renegade Radio” was any indication of the maturity level of ownership, no wonder the whole place crashed and burned.

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

Once again, the key seems to be diplexing on the 890 or 650 site with essentially the same pattern with a big night cut toward Nashville, which would put more of the metro in front of the pattern. With the proper processing and 50kw, they should hit Boston city of license just fine.

I assume your are talking about nights?
    Hitting Boston has never been a problem….that’s one of the things that 1510 has always done pretty well.
    It’s the outer suburban reach that people having problems when the sun goes down.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php