Josh Binswanger Out at WBZ

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston Josh Binswanger Out at WBZ

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  nowradioguy 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

nifty850
    Participant

WBZ just confirms he “is no longer at WBZ”.  Not much being said.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

nowradioguy
    Participant

WBZ just confirms he “is no longer at WBZ”. Not much being said.

I have no inside information, but it always seemed to me that, over the years, very few people left WBZ of their own accord UNLESS they got some huge, knock-your-socks-off offer to go somewhere else. Around these parts, being at ‘BZ meant “you’ve made it!” I’m also willing to bet there aren’t many of these offers available anywhere in the USA today.
    I can’t believe CBS thought so little of WBZ that they sold it to iHeart.
    “That’s right, I said it!”  – Mark Levin

Nathan Obral
    Participant

“That’s right, I said it!” – Mark Levin

Someone had to buy WBZ. And in an industry where economy-of-scale is increasingly important, it had to be an existing operator in the market and not some magical “dark horse” that didn’t exist.

I can’t see Beasley, Cumulus, or even Cox – the latter is exiting the broadcasting business – doing any better with WBZ. It’s a labor-heavy operation that iHeart hasn’t totally torn apart like many have feared. It’s… different, that’s obvious. Changes were made prior to this week. But it’s not destroyed, and that’s important. They have put an investment into the operations that had to be made with such a consolidation with Total Traffic and WRKO.

(That trademark quote by Levin always cracks me up lol.)

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

raccoonradio
    Participant

Remember the Boston Phoenix who politically supported things like the Occupy movement…anti- big corporations etc? Eventually their Stephen Mindich sold off their stations and closed the papers.

103.7 in RI went to Entercom, now the second biggest radio corporation (it’s now a WEEI station).As for 101.7, they sold to the highest offer…from Clear Channel/i Heart! We almost could have had “Rush 101.7”.Instead, it’s country from the biggest radio corporation.

“Stephen Mindich sold WFNX to a group that will continue to embrace alternative music”. Nope, that wasn’t the headline (though iHR ran elec dance music for awhile).

Money. iHeart looks to the bottom line.But yes it hasn’t been a total dismantling of WBZ, and yes news is expensive to run.

Neg Ative
    Participant

They didn’t fire Christ, they fired/didn’t renew/what ever an anchor with less than 2 years with the station.

This is radio folks, people get sent to the beach.

If you fallow All Access or RAMP on Facebook, you will see a lot of folks being let go in under a year ” and they are looking for their next opportunity”

Let me know when the listeners show up on Cabot Rd with pitchforks insisting he be re-instated.

99.9999% of the listeners would not have known if the Globe didn’t print it, and even then they don’t care.

The days of a single anchor being a God are over… ( Natalie Jacobson was the last)… any voice behind the mic will do in the minds of the listeners…. they don’t care.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

Someone had to buy WBZ. And in an industry where economy-of-scale is increasingly important, it had to be an existing operator in the market and not some magical “dark horse” that didn’t exist. I can’t see Beasley, Cumulus, or even Cox – the latter is exiting the broadcasting business – doing any better with WBZ. It’s a labor-heavy operation that iHeart hasn’t totally torn apart like many have feared. It’s… different, that’s obvious. Changes were made prior to this week. But it’s not destroyed, and that’s important. They have put an investment into the operations that had to be made with such a consolidation with Total Traffic and WRKO.

And, if it weren’t for the DOJ, Entercom likely could’ve ended up with 1030.  It’s difficult to maintain the format in the first place–and losing any synergies with TV didn’t help.  (To put it another way, how many current All-News stations in the U.S. weren’t sold by CBS?  Pretty much just WTOP and KOMO.)  While I’m surprised that iHeart was the victor, it’s mostly because I didn’t think that it was able to make any significant acquisitions at that time–including the spinoffs in Seattle.  (Even in hindsight, I’m still a bit surprised that neither Cox, Hearst, nor [perhaps especially] Sunbeam entered into significant negotiations here.  Still, it’s also possible that CBS just didn’t want a direct competitor to pick up 1030–or any of the other spinoffs–at all.)

Nathan Obral
    Participant

(Even in hindsight, I’m still a bit surprised that neither Cox, Hearst, nor [perhaps especially] Sunbeam entered into significant negotiations here. Still, it’s also possible that CBS just didn’t want a direct competitor to pick up 1030–or any of the other spinoffs–at all.)

I wasn’t surprised at all. In fact, it was totally unsurprising. Hearst doesn’t own any radio stations outside of WBAL/WIYY, and Cox is starting the slow process of leaving the broadcast and print business entirely. Ed Ansin is only interested in pouring money into 7 News. Ask anyone from those three companies if they want to buy into radio right now and they’d look at you like you have three heads.

To be blunt, none of them would never have been serious contenders for ol’ 1030. Even Beasley was only truly able to get either 1030 or the Sports Hub, what with both stations being labor-intensive and expensive to run (considering the ratings/revenue goldmine 98.5 is, Beasley made the right decision).

With all that in consideration, that left iHeart as the ONLY possible buyer. (To wit, EMF, the only chain outright flush with cash and financial support, doesn’t buy AM signals and no one else wants to invest in a sellers market.) So iHeart sweetened the pot by trading their Richmond and Chattanooga clusters to Entercom, placed WKOX and two Seattle stations in an uncompetitive trust that actually outlived its operator, and all was well with the world.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

OldNewsGuy
    Participant
    Will you get off this kick?
    When it’s time to sell, you sell to a willing and able buyer period.
    You are not picking adoptive parents for one of your kids.

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

Around these parts, being at ‘BZ meant “you’ve made it!”

It still does, but it doesn’t mean you can keep the job for life.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  OldNewsGuy.

Morgan White, Jr. announced last night that WBZ Radio has scrapped “Weekend Live.”

Dean Johnson is gone.

Only Morgan White, Jr. remains on Friday night/ Saturday morning 12M-5AM and Saturday night Midnight to 3:30 AM

No more Morgan White Saturday night 10P-to 12M after tonight 3/9/1

Uncle Kaimbridge
    Participant

No more Morgan White Saturday night 10P-to 12M after tonight 3/9/1

So, should we do an over-under on the odds of it becoming an infomercial block?  P=/

~Uncle Kaimbridge~
           02205–2602–029
      [42.3509°N–71.0538°W (FN42li34nf)]

**** Void Where Permitted;
            Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

nowradioguy
    Participant

Morgan White, Jr. announced last night that WBZ Radio has scrapped “Weekend Live.” Dean Johnson is gone. Only Morgan White, Jr. remains on Friday night/ Saturday morning 12M-5AM and Saturday night Midnight to 3:30 AM No more Morgan White Saturday night 10P-to 12M after tonight 3/9/1

I guess iHeart has appropriated the rights to Bill Drake’s signature line:
    “And the hits….just keep on comin’!”
    because that sure seems to be what’s happening at WBZ.

nifty850
    Participant

I knew IHeart would eventually crack down on Morgan White’s pen giveaways in all those trivia contests.

That’s at least $17 annually that can be converted from pen expense to Debt paydown (only $16 Billion to go!)

nowradioguy
    Participant

I knew IHeart would eventually crack down on Morgan White’s pen giveaways in all those trivia contests. That’s at least $17 annually that can be converted from pen expense to Debt paydown (only $16 Billion to go!)

They can use the $17 to produce more iHeartRadio singing promos about the next iHeart music festival/awards. Yessiree.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php